Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:20 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Even more reason for him not to get married.
Not necessarily.

It requires a lot of work and a lot of understanding but those 5% who do make it are pretty happy. It can be done if the couple understands it is not going to be a fairy tale romance or conventional marriage.

Considering how much happiness marriage can bring to any man's life, I hope for your son that he has a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 03:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
They pretty much don't have a cure for anything, that doesn't mean there is no answer.
IDK about answer, but there is help for it.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:18 PM

717 posts, read 558,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I'm your age and the idea of supporting an able-bodied adult until I die sounds like a huge risk.
What kind of risk are you talking about?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
You are completely freaking me out! You seriously think it's a good idea just to let this be? Doom him to living with his mother for the rest of your life, and then he's a totally dysfunctional adult, all alone?

This is the fate of my brother, and the entire family wishes that what is suspected to be Asperger's had been caught and treated to whatever extent it could have been.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:15 AM

717 posts, read 558,988 times
Calm down! He's not doomed! He wants to live with me!

Old 04-13-2018, 03:47 PM

371 posts, read 288,370 times
This is a weird thread. People don't seem to actually be reading the OP at all

He can live with his Mother if they so choose. When she passes, he'll get the house and any other money

Who knows if he can hold a job eventually so she has time to sort this out. She seems like a loving mother

My son has this too no doubt. It worked itself out. He's in a job he can do just fine. Moved up once so far

It's not my job to decide whether he can marry or whether he'll "make it"

Lots of assumptions here which are assuming the worst

Old 04-14-2018, 08:28 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
This is a weird thread. People don't seem to actually be reading the OP at all

He can live with his Mother if they so choose. When she passes, he'll get the house and any other money

Who knows if he can hold a job eventually so she has time to sort this out. She seems like a loving mother

My son has this too no doubt. It worked itself out. He's in a job he can do just fine. Moved up once so far

It's not my job to decide whether he can marry or whether he'll "make it"

Lots of assumptions here which are assuming the worst
My only assumption is that OP has been truthful in her posting.

What are the chances this man who can't hold a job now will be able to get one in 30 years when mom dies and he needs to support himself?

An old house that needs repairs, 100K in investments and a few thousand in life insurance will last him, what, 10 years?

And if mom needs long-term health care? She makes less than 20K a year and is currently only working part time. Health insurance is probably minimal if there at all. Medicare won't pay for much.

This is the risk I was talking about. Mom going broke and son being left homeless.

It is utterly irresponsible to sweep this disability under the rug because she doesn't want to hurt his feelings with a diagnosis that she feels is stigmatizing. Get over it.

There is help available. Job training. Life coaching.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:55 PM

371 posts, read 288,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My only assumption is that OP has been truthful in her posting.

What are the chances this man who can't hold a job now will be able to get one in 30 years when mom dies and he needs to support himself?

An old house that needs repairs, 100K in investments and a few thousand in life insurance will last him, what, 10 years?

And if mom needs long-term health care? She makes less than 20K a year and is currently only working part time. Health insurance is probably minimal if there at all. Medicare won't pay for much.

This is the risk I was talking about. Mom going broke and son being left homeless.

It is utterly irresponsible to sweep this disability under the rug because she doesn't want to hurt his feelings with a diagnosis that she feels is stigmatizing. Get over it.

There is help available. Job training. Life coaching.
With all due respect, It would take take a long time to educate you on this.

Not trying to be rude but there is so much here to address I am not sure where to start so won't bother.

OP do what you feel is right. You're doing great. I Pm'd you one suggestion regarding how to handle your estate after your gone with regards to your son

Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,748,080 times
I have asperger's (mild) and I am grateful to know it. It explains so much about my life, and why I always felt like such an oddball. I have a phenomenal one-in-a-million memory and I can memorize detailed photographs with relative ease, but I suffer terribly with prosopagnosia (inability to remember a face). That's quite humiliating.

My body interprets loud noises as physical pain, and that's not fun. When I see colors, my brain sees them as having numerical value, and then I add them up. I really thought everyone did that, and it was late in life I realized that this was not common.

I'm an expert in my niche field, and were it not for that, I am not sure what would have become of me, so I am very grateful to know about this.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,682,387 times
I think society is still a long way from educating the public about what Aspergers/autism entails. I birthed one. He is 32 now. I have no contact with him either.

I also unintentionally married one. Why? Because by the time I met him, at his age of 52, he had long ago figured out how to mask his social deficiencies. Well, not exactly. He used love bombing. Kept me inundated with constant contact etc, to keep me from recognizing those Red Flags. He didn't allow that mask to fall till AFTER the marriage vows were said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health