Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times

Advertisements

Always having a poor short term memory, it really frustrates me- I feel so jealous of those types who can learn languages easy and pick up on things easier, seem to be in a fog of poor memory, concentration and just a day dreamy state. I can read for hours on any subject, always trying to learn, but always felt frustrated by poor memory - when you need the ability to put things together quickly

I can get on fine in life, but there is always that feeling with crisp clear memory and an organised mind so many things are easier and possible

Anyway I stopped drinking alcohol, cutting back on caffeine, and cut out diet drinks, taking some nootropics and exercising more - whilst these things help, there not the sliver bullet - they only help support a mind

Trying short term memory training exercises - Like Dual N Back - I do believe this has a marginal effect on your memory, and information processing - consistent effort at it does certainly make you feel sharper.

There are plenty of "brain training" type websites - but I believe very few of these have any transference to the real world, for example Sudokos and Crosswords, chess only make you better those games - and have the any more validity than playing your favourite PC strategy game?

The key I think is pushing your mind everyday - although its easier said than done, thats why these short term memory type exercises are done, because they force you.

Anyway if you guys have any tips, advice it would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Always having a poor short term memory, it really frustrates me- I feel so jealous of those types who can learn languages easy and pick up on things easier, seem to be in a fog of poor memory, concentration and just a day dreamy state. I can read for hours on any subject, always trying to learn, but always felt frustrated by poor memory - when you need the ability to put things together quickly

I can get on fine in life, but there is always that feeling with crisp clear memory and an organised mind so many things are easier and possible

Anyway I stopped drinking alcohol, cutting back on caffeine, and cut out diet drinks, taking some nootropics and exercising more - whilst these things help, there not the sliver bullet - they only help support a mind

Trying short term memory training exercises - Like Dual N Back - I do believe this has a marginal effect on your memory, and information processing - consistent effort at it does certainly make you feel sharper.

There are plenty of "brain training" type websites - but I believe very few of these have any transference to the real world, for example Sudokos and Crosswords, chess only make you better those games - and have the any more validity than playing your favourite PC strategy game?

The key I think is pushing your mind everyday - although its easier said than done, thats why these short term memory type exercises are done, because they force you.

Anyway if you guys have any tips, advice it would be appreciated.
When I had to go through real estate school in 2005 I took Nootropil (Piracetam) which enhances cognitive abilities. It worked absolute wonders for me and I am convinced I could not have passed my real estate test without it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I've been working at this for awhile as well, though my ST memory is actually pretty good--it's my concentration that isn't so great. I've discovered that omega-3 fish oil works very well, and I take vitamin B complex b/c it helps me focus in better. Those are my basics, but I've also been experimenting with amino acids, like tyrosine. Tyrosine is interesting in that it works almost like adderall, and I thought that I wasn't focusing as well as with adderall, but when I began experimenting with sudoku puzzles, I found that I was better at them with the tyro. To experiment, I work a puzzle that is slightly above my ability and when I get stuck, I take the tyro and then go back and see if I can finish it, and generally I can. I try to get more protein overall too as I"m a bit unsure of what breaking up aminos can do to your long term health--I'm still learning about this. Exercising before you sit down to learn will help too.

Also, I'm really working on breaking my sugar addiction b/c I've discovered that my mind works much better when not under the influence. Not everyone reacts to it like I do though--for me it's almost like a drug.

Those are the physical things but as for the mental ones, the thing that works best for me is that when I learn new info, I tag it. By that I mean that if I learn someone's name, I make that little association with something or someone else. Like, remembering that I have an Aunt Clara and then tying the two together in my mind. If I'm reading a book about indians I will try to recall everything I know about indians already and then tag the new info onto the old. Some stuff you're just going to lose, but you'll probably retain that which is most interesting and that which has the most tags and the more you learn the more tags you'll have.

As for learning a language, there are many ways to do that and rather than buying an expensive program, you might experiment around and see what is the most appealing way for you. Last year I got hold of a Pablo Neruda poetry book with English translations on the other page and it was so interesting to me to read the poetry that I actually learned quite a lot of Spanish that way and I'm not a young person.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I had to go through real estate school in 2005 I took Nootropil (Piracetam) which enhances cognitive abilities. It worked absolute wonders for me and I am convinced I could not have passed my real estate test without it.

20yrsinBranson

Perhaps they might help short term, I tried Piracetam and didnt think it made that much difference.

I think its getting your mind out of its usual brain and thinking patterns - e.g for me its reading websites, blogs, news, day dreaming, and being disorganised to some extent - which is ok, but not all the time. Perhaps its just mental laziness -

Intstall new habits, in the long term this will lead to improvement over the long term.

for example if i had to read an academic paper, i'd need total concentration and a coffee as opposed to a newspaper - you get the point - easily digestible information is like junk food, nice at the time but doesn't do you any good - and over time makes your brain less fit.

For example - lets say a job like a barman or waiter, were you have to remember large amounts of drinks, details - thats the sort of thing I struggle with.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
I watched a show about memory and some hospitality staff were interviewed - they were renowned for having great memories. Their 'memory' was non-verbal and non-symbolic. No acronyms, ditties, or numerical strings. One man described the experience this way, more or less: very-blonde-hair, red wine, glass of water, fruit salad... navy-blazer-gold-watch, martini, steamed mussels extra garlic, ...

as the order comes from the client he 'sees' it as a total picture, so that even if the woman changes seats she will still get her red wine.

The theory of the show is that the memory of the type the waiter demonstrated uses a great deal of more of a different part of the brain: and older path that bypasses the language center. My memory got much better after I took up meditation, you can do mindfulness practices too, where you simply observe and absorb as much as possible. This is a quality of a 'still mind' that isn't preoccupied with structured ideas. I think meditation probably frees up our ability to get and use the data that's coming through the older path.

Interestingly, sense of smell is one of the strongest in this older path, so I wonder if the waiter (consciously and tactfully unspoken or unconsciously) adds "amber cologne" or "cheap aftershave" to his memorable impression

Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
It's quite possible that odor is added to the memory Susquehappy, but I was thinking as I read your post that people who are good at remembering strings of details as you mentioned, will be the types who will be attracted to this sort of job and those who aren't will weed themselves out. For instance, I'm not good at that and I used to wait tables but got into another field and am glad b/c I was never any good at it. People would get so mad if I forgot their kid's milk! If I had've been good at it and got great tips I might have kept waiting tables b/c the money would've been good. It's possible that we sort ourselves into certain careers based on our memory patterns and they may very well determine what we're good at--I mean, more than anything else does.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Yes, that's absolutely true, of course, but one can learn and improve skillfulness from whatever situation they have, even if it's a small improvement - especially, which is usually the case, that even small improvements such as sensory processing skill is enriching overall and not just in memory.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Try neurobics

KEEP YOUR BRAIN ALIVE > EXERCISE

Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM

233 posts, read 753,421 times
I've been fascinated with this since I was about 19 (I am now 23 about to be 24)

Here is what I am concluding:

1) Run
2) Develop ability to use your non-dominant hand (also practice moving your toes)
3) Raw fruits, raw vegetables (I mean raw - not cooked)
4) high quality sources of fat (grass fed beef, natural peanut butter etc)
5) Multivitamin
6) Omegas (DHA EPA)

When it comes to the racetams I have taken aniracetam, pramiracetam, and oxiracetam... never did I take piracetam.

IME racetams should be taken for at least 4-6 months before you begin to really understand it.

They will not make a dull person smart.

Aniracetam - awesome for music, emotional capacity, anti depression, creativity, anti anxiety (note this does not work like a drug such as amphetamine or xanax where you pop the pill and feel it within a couple minutes...and no its not a placebo effect).

Oxiracetam - good during the day, has a speedy feel too it which is peculiar because it is not like caffeine or amph but you can def feel it go up and come down, no depression or anything its just gone. It is good for music listening and i have the least amt of experience with it. Users have reported that music is so good that they can almost "taste" it.

Pramiracetam - this stuff is super powerful, and probably the most foul tasting substance a human can ingest honestly. Not joking about that. I took it for one month whilst taking aniracetam, and oxi racetam every day and wow. The pramiracetam was super powerful - but only towards the end did I feel the effects of it.

These substances absolutely need to be supplemented with a choline source. I Recommend AlphaGPC as it is the highest quality. Soy Lecithin can be had for really cheap, and the granules taste somewhat good (milky) but AGPC is the best...

There is a product made by onnit labs which I have yet to try but am going to be ordering this week. It has A-GPC along with other nootropics that are not racetams. It is said that nootropics work together well. (Which is why I stacked the racetams together).

onnit.com see:AlphaBrain

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Further take visual notes of your surroundings. Get in this habit. When you walk into a room count things as quickly as possible, take inventory. How many sheets of paper were there, where were they, what did they say, phone, computer, desk, what colors brands, etc etc. This is just an exercise to begin training your mind to quickly decipher what is going on.

Running for some reason is awesome for cognitive ability. Not just lifting weights, not just walking. Specifically running. Try one mile a day as soon as you wake up. No matter what.

Developing your non-dominant hand is extremely difficult. You will likely be super tired in a matter of seconds. This is good. Practice every day just a little bit and you will eventually feel that your overall capacity has increased.

Play memory games with others.

In fact: Community sports are SUPERB. Such as soccer: this is a game where you are 1) using your cognitive abilities 2) interacting with people in your community 3) exercising

Community participation has the benefit of happiness (no joke) and depression and bad memory go hand in hand (not saying you're depressed, just saying if there is an easy way to increase your fulfillment go ahead).

Yoga is good as well, the breathing practice is crazy cool. Also yoga allows us to perceive our body in new ways that we were not aware of before - thus our mind is open to new perception - thus our mind capacity may increase.

The raw foods are important. The majority of the American diet is corn, sugar, fat, salt it seems (check the labels - corn is in everything). Raw veggies and fruits are lost on us, use these to your advantage.

Try to have healthy intimate relationships as well. If you have a wife, bang her every morning and tell her you love her. Spend time with your kids.

drink LOTS of water.

No canned veggies or fruits.

No processed / simple sugars.

Learn to play piano.

Learn a new language.

Binaural Beats.

Melatonin supplement every other night.

Reduce or eliminate caffeine / amph intake.

Cut out TV. Go out and interact with people / see nature.

__________________________________________________ ________________

I realize this is a lot but this is almost an overall conclusion of my studies.

The thing about TV is that everyone is always "did you see X show last night"

Television creates VIVID memories. Humans crave this. Know what else creates vivid memories ? Sharing experiences with people, sharing POSITIVE experiences with people. Go to an art museum, go to a garden, go walk your dog, pet your dog and LOVE your dog.

Memory, Attention, Creativity, Cognition, Happiness, Sleep are all linked but these links are not quite understood.

Attention and concentration is a practice. TV does NOT help this practice. Create vivid memories by training your MIND to concentrate on tasks at hand.

What I mean is 100% focus on your task at hand. Do not dilly dally and "watch tv while making dinner." Focus on dinner, put your soul into what you are doing.

When you make a mess clean it up. This is funny but what I am getting at is just taking care of your stuff and NOT GIVING UP NO MATTER HOW DAUNTING THE TASK --> And then while completing your task do it with the utmost care (carefully - full of care) take pride in your work and cover all your bases. Do what is painful because that is where the growth is...

Finally, do not try to do all of this at once, and take EVERYTHING one step at a time..if you could live without it yesterday, you can do without it today..but as long as you put the work in eventually your improvements will come...

That is all...

Old 08-05-2016, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,494 times
This site has some memory enhancers that work. [url=http://www.bestnootropics.net/memoryenhancers]Memory Enhancers - Best NOOTROPICS :: Top NOOTROPIC Smart Drug :: 2016[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health