Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,459 times

Advertisements

I had no idea what a major milestone turning 40 was going to be. Before my bday, I never thought about my age and mentally assumed I was a 20-30 something. On my 40th Bday, i totally freaked out. It finally hit me that my life was half way over and that I am over the hill. I have a lot less patience for bs. Has anyone else had a sudden midlife freak out. How did you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I had no idea what a major milestone turning 40 was going to be. Before my bday, I never thought about my age and mentally assumed I was a 20-30 something. On my 40th Bday, i totally freaked out. It finally hit me that my life was half way over and that I am over the hill. I have a lot less patience for bs. Has anyone else had a sudden midlife freak out. How did you deal with it?
Yeah, but not till 45 or so.

Wait till you hit 50

Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,068,791 times
Quote:
I grew up.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:09 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about my age ever since I was in grade school. Remember first thinking about how it would be 10 years from that point when I would be in my 20s in 7th or 8th grade. It seemed to be a pattern of mine, I would look from the point wherever I then was ten years forward and ponder it, as in what I may be doing and how I would be ten years older.

My realization that I was half-way done with my life was when I was 35. Some people can still be doing well when they're 70, but that seems to be the time nowadays when you realize you're getting up there. Even in your 60s you can generally be thought of as a "young" old. Not really old old, if that makes any sense.

For me, I do not believe this life is all there is so my view of aging doesn't have a finite end to it. I figure I have another 35 years or so, on average (I'm nearing 38 now) and it will be the end of this life for me. Of course, that can happen at any time or it can be another 50 or so years. It would be good for one to be healthy throughout all of it, and you should strive to stay active mentally and physically.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times
I loved my 40's, I was in my prime, knew a lot more, vibrant and yet old enough. Wait till you approach 80, which is where I'm headed this year. Many think about keep their minds sharp.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
My life did. It really took off @ 45
And it did like a rocket
Everything happened in 12 years
Amazing
Most assumed it happened over a life time not so

Old 05-13-2018, 10:24 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Yeah, at 40 I could do the whole "40 is the new 30", but at 50, it's just 50. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2018, 11:30 PM

534 posts, read 489,984 times
I freaked out at age 27, and then at 43, which led me each time to deep soul searching. I'm in my late forties now, and I am absolutely in love with my life (and my age!).

I love my silvering hair, I adore the kind of relationships I have with men now as opposed to those who sought me in my youth, my life doesn't feel half over...it feels hugely expanded.

Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but, I just love that I'm older. I don't know if this joy will end at some age, who can say, but right now, I just can't wait for the rest of my life, and I have zero envy of those who are younger or just look younger.

I can't really explain exactly why I feel this way, it's just my truth...I just started consciously examining the beliefs the majority of people seem to hold by default, that increasing years in a female body is some kind of failure. I became very consciously aware of something I call "the penis lense", which is where I unconsciously viewed myself through male sexuality, which is the root basis for female evaluation in society. Once I became consciously aware of that perspective, the whole paradigm began to dissolve. I was viewing myself in such an incredibly limited way...and viewing men in a limited way, too, who can be so much more than their adolescent sexuality (although many of them don't know it!) I didn't have to change society...I just had to change my own belief system, and stop subscribing to what I intuitively knew was BS.

Now that I simply don't share in that belief, my life is pretty fun and exciting, and it keeps getting better.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:36 PM

6,155 posts, read 4,533,615 times
35, because I was losing a tooth at the time. I had nightmares; I woke up in the middle of the night knowing the clock was ticking, counted my teeth and checked I still had hair. Not a flicker since then at any age.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times
All you young people freaking out..WHY...it's life. I'm not freaking out at reaching 80 soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health