Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM

213 posts, read 204,942 times

Advertisements

I have a dysfunctional relationship with my father (almost 70, and lost his job last year) and we (me, my sister and him) are financially struggling right now. Obviously not the funnest of times but he is beginning to act odd; he keeps saying that he will "blow his head off" under his breath to punish me and my sister, with that said he acts like we are being ungrateful *******s because we can't or sometimes won't comply with his random unreasonable desires (mentioned suicide as punishment for my sister because she couldn't join our New Age prayer circle last night because she was at work, also called her a "*****"), is like a broken record of negativity and complaining about the world, conspiracy theories and the neighborhood we live in, and tries to physically corner me/or her to complain for hours even if we have to go to work. There is a lot of other miscellaneous stuff like him peeing on my sisters bathroom seat and not cleaning it up, and going through her things or rearranging things in her room.

He has always had a lot of personal demons, which made our upbringing tough, and causes me to hold some resentment to him, but he began to mellow out and become likable until recently. No one is a saint so i don't expect him to be perfect during the stuff we are going through, but he is beginning to worry me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Yes, and make sure he doesn't have access to guns. If he does, then you might want to try through law enforcement to figure out how to get him into a hospital for examination.

If he is threatening to kill himself, he could go one better, taking others out with him.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
You should call the national suicide hotline for help:

1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English, Spanish

Do it now. Your dad needs help.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
He's not too young for dementia either.

My dad is a paranoid schizophrenic so it's hard for me to know how much of his behavior was from that and how much was the beginning of Alzheimer's, but strange comments and mistrust of the people he lives with or who were caring for him were some of his early symptoms, back when he could still express himself well.

Does he have a doctor that he's seen for a long time? Would it be possible for you to communicate with the doctor? The doctor wouldn't be able to tell you anything, but you could express your concerns and maybe the doctor could make some suggestions to your dad. The problem would be, if it's the beginning of dementia, that your dad wouldn't remember what the doctor had said to him. If you or your sister could go to his doctor appointments with him, that would help.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
How old are you and your sister? Do you all live in the same house? Who is working?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:27 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
My father did that muttering thing under his breath when he was going into the middle stages of Alzheimer's. He said the most vile, nasty, ugly things that were shocking coming out of my straight-laced dad.

He needs an evaluation. Since you and your sister seem to be enjoying the benefits of still living rent free at the family home in middle age, I would say that it is your duty and responsibility to get him the help he needs.

Do whatever it takes, and do it NOW.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
I'm not an American but I'm a regular reader of the Caregiving forum here at C-D where American posters talk about resources available to help the elderly. This is one such post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/41032534-post2.html

Another poster once mentioned a "Department of Aging" but I suspect the name changes from state to state.

Your father definitely needs to be assessed. If he breaks completely with reality he could become a danger to himself and others.

My mother has been tested for dementia a number of times. It's a simple loss of memory test so the type of issues your father has wouldn't show up in the test.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 PM

213 posts, read 204,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
How old are you and your sister? Do you all live in the same house? Who is working?
26 and 28. Yes. I am working two jobs and my sister is a seamstress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My father did that muttering thing under his breath when he was going into the middle stages of Alzheimer's. He said the most vile, nasty, ugly things that were shocking coming out of my straight-laced dad.

He needs an evaluation. Since you and your sister seem to be enjoying the benefits of still living rent free at the family home in middle age, I would say that it is your duty and responsibility to get him the help he needs.

Do whatever it takes, and do it NOW.
We help pay the rent.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:43 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
Beings he has always had some personal demons, I would not say he is becoming mentally ill, but the deeper aspects of it are now rising to the surface.
Things can trigger more irrational reactions, thoughts and words. Beings he lost his job, it makes sense that depression would set in and be part of the trigger pulling. (Hmm...maybe that is not such a good term to use? Trigger?...sorry...)

He needs to be evaluated right away and hopefully find some medication that will ease all this for all of you.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM

510 posts, read 717,015 times
Try the "Area Agency on Aging". This is a federal program and all states are divided into districts and should have services. That would be a starting place for finding somewhere to get an evaluation. You could probably just say it was a medical exam but be sure they do some psychological testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health