Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times

Advertisements

My friend's son was hospitalized for an overdose and the hospital staff feel it was a suicide attempt (I'll agree with them because I don't know the whole situation). He was medically cleared to go to a.mental health center but there were no beds for 3 days. So, he was not allowed to leave the hospital. Now he is confined to a psych ward in a small 16 bed facility for 72 hours.
My question is: didn't the 72 hours start when he wasn't allowed to leave the hospital? It seems.iike this is an additional 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 AM

23,293 posts, read 18,824,628 times
The "clock" probably started when the commitment paper was actually signed. Maybe it wasn't until partway through the hospital stay.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 AM

1,198 posts, read 660,824 times
I was put on a 72 hour hold many years ago at a detox, and it was on a Friday night, and I was told they didn't count weekends towards the 72 hours, so I was actually there until Thursday morning.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
The key is not how many days they are in but how stable the patient is prior to release...

Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 PM

69 posts, read 32,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
My friend's son was hospitalized for an overdose and the hospital staff feel it was a suicide attempt (I'll agree with them because I don't know the whole situation). He was medically cleared to go to a.mental health center but there were no beds for 3 days. So, he was not allowed to leave the hospital. Now he is confined to a psych ward in a small 16 bed facility for 72 hours.
My question is: didn't the 72 hours start when he wasn't allowed to leave the hospital? It seems.iike this is an additional 3 days.

I think they can hold a person an additional 7 days for chemical dependency evaluation. They can also then say person needs treatment for that for 30 days at a cost of maybe $35,000. It's all about making money whatever way they can. They can also put a person on toxic drugs that have very bad side effects, sometimes even death. But if they can charge say $300 a pill, does the psychiatrist get a big cut of that? They can tell a person they need to go to another place long-term, and they may never be allowed to go home again. All this because they misinterpreted something I said.

One psychiatrist wrote down I came in drunk because I had 2 beers a few hours before. Actually, I was extremely short of sleep for some time due to worry. Apparently he couldn't tell the difference, but diagnosed me with a diagnosis I'd never had before for my lifelong anxiety & depression. He apparently felt he knew me better within an hour than I knew myself. Or at least he knew he was required to diagnose me as soon as I came in. For my new diagnosis, I got 3horrible pills. I asked for lists of side effects but they refused, saying if people knew the side effects they wouldn't take them.

Mfr says if you experience these serious side effects, call your doctor & discontinue immediately, may be fatal. Of course, Docs say I must continue even if they kill me.

3 days may mean 3 weeks, or whenever one's insurance runs out. Mental illness is not a medical term it's a legal term.That's why they have mental prisons. When they know the patient likes to complain, they get the court to order the patient to stay. Then there's false testimony against patient in court. Best wishes, all.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The key is not how many days they are in but how stable the patient is prior to release...
^^This^^ The minimum hold is 72 hours but both times I was in one of these places I wound up being there for 8 days. I used to assume if you were Baker Acted (that's what they call it here in Florida) the 72 hour hold was the maximum a person could be kept. If you have any bad side effects from any new meds they give you they keep you 24-48 hours (can't remember which) to make sure any new meds don't cause you any issues.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:47 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaandjqa View Post
I think they can hold a person an additional 7 days for chemical dependency evaluation. They can also then say person needs treatment for that for 30 days at a cost of maybe $35,000. It's all about making money whatever way they can. They can also put a person on toxic drugs that have very bad side effects, sometimes even death. But if they can charge say $300 a pill, does the psychiatrist get a big cut of that? They can tell a person they need to go to another place long-term, and they may never be allowed to go home again. All this because they misinterpreted something I said.

One psychiatrist wrote down I came in drunk because I had 2 beers a few hours before. Actually, I was extremely short of sleep for some time due to worry. Apparently he couldn't tell the difference, but diagnosed me with a diagnosis I'd never had before for my lifelong anxiety & depression. He apparently felt he knew me better within an hour than I knew myself. Or at least he knew he was required to diagnose me as soon as I came in. For my new diagnosis, I got 3horrible pills. I asked for lists of side effects but they refused, saying if people knew the side effects they wouldn't take them.

Mfr says if you experience these serious side effects, call your doctor & discontinue immediately, may be fatal. Of course, Docs say I must continue even if they kill me.

3 days may mean 3 weeks, or whenever one's insurance runs out. Mental illness is not a medical term it's a legal term.That's why they have mental prisons. When they know the patient likes to complain, they get the court to order the patient to stay. Then there's false testimony against patient in court. Best wishes, all.

A patient has the right to refuse medication where I was staying, however the facility may use that refusal as an excuse to keep you longer. I think some hospitals are a little too hasty with Baker Acting someone. The last time I was in one my roommate was there because she had been to two different hospitals with stomach pain and the hospitals couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. She made the mistake of saying "what do I have to do to get some help - jump off a bridge"? The next thing she knew she was sent to a mental health facility. She wasn't depressed or suicidal however by the time she finally left after 3 or 4 days she was depressed. These places are not conducive to getting better IMO. You're much better off seeing a psychiatrist on an outpatient basis unless you are seriously suicidal.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:37 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
In our hospital you are held (the term here is "pink-slipped" due to the color of the form) until cleared by a psychiatric evaluation. If a psychiatrist or their practitioner deems you a threat to yourself or others, they can hold you until you are admitted to a mental health hospital, who will then decide when you can be discharged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health