Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times

Advertisements

First of all, I don't like this expression "nervous energy." Is there an actual diagnosis or medical term for people who constantly have to be doing something, they just can't seem to relax? I am both envious of these people and concerned for them (the ones who over-stress). Don't get these folks mixed up with ADD people who always have something going on, but never finish most things. These highly energetic people are extremely focused and they get things done! That's why I envy them.

If anyone who has this "condition" is reading this, I'd like to know if there are any relaxation methods you recommend. Is there anything that calms your mind. I have a friend who is high-strung like this and she constantly stresses and worries about things. She cannot meditate and I understand that. I just worry about her because I recently learned of the health effects of long-term stress. It's possible to constantly keep yourself busy without being stressed about it, right? Or is anxiety/stress part of this "condition"?

Thanks for input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:45 PM

235 posts, read 157,623 times
I’d guess is it’s just anxiety. It really can spur people into action depending on their level of fonfidence or just the plain need to get it done. If it’s something they can get done without much effort, even better. If they can’t it may cause avoidance which leads to depression.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 PM

189 posts, read 178,699 times
My mother suffered with "high energy". I did not envy her condition. She was usually miserable and anxious. She generally made those around her, my father, myself and my two sisters miserable too. She was a micro manager of everything that went on in our house and lives. She had to know about and "approve" of everything. She never enjoyed holidays or vacations because....she couldn't relax.

My mother is passed away now. But her legacy is that all three of her children (including me) strive to NOT have "high energy". It is a pathway to un-happiness for you and those around you.

-G

Old 04-28-2019, 05:37 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
Thank you....this input helps when I talk to my friend about her stress.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 AM

189 posts, read 178,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thank you....this input helps when I talk to my friend about her stress.
I did not intend to sound so pointed in my initial response to you. It's just that this topic strikes a nerve in my psyche.

You were correct in your analysis about "high energy" or anxiety ridden people being highly effective. My departed mother could do anything she set her mind to do. She could be very accomplished if the task or job or project was important to her.

My siblings and I quickly learned though...that we didn't want our lives to be mom's project. As we grew into adulthood, married and all had spouses and children we all were forced to "build a wall" to keep mom's "energy" from intruding into our lives.

In the final few years of my parents lives....mom only had my father to micro-manage. She had poisoned many/most of her other relationships.

Please don't allow your friend to go through this sad state of mind. Medication and counseling are available.

-G

Old 04-29-2019, 09:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
First of all, I don't like this expression "nervous energy." Is there an actual diagnosis or medical term for people who constantly have to be doing something, they just can't seem to relax? I am both envious of these people and concerned for them (the ones who over-stress). Don't get these folks mixed up with ADD people who always have something going on, but never finish most things. These highly energetic people are extremely focused and they get things done! That's why I envy them.

If anyone who has this "condition" is reading this, I'd like to know if there are any relaxation methods you recommend. Is there anything that calms your mind. I have a friend who is high-strung like this and she constantly stresses and worries about things. She cannot meditate and I understand that. I just worry about her because I recently learned of the health effects of long-term stress. It's possible to constantly keep yourself busy without being stressed about it, right? Or is anxiety/stress part of this "condition"?

Thanks for input.
Perpetual motion is a somatization of anxiety.

All anxiety really is, at its core, is unfocused or detrimentally focused excess energy. If the energy is channeled functionally and isn't causing the person problems, there is no cause for concern. For most people, using the excess energy to get stuff accomplished isn't a problem. It's like people who procrastinate on deadlines, because they need that anxious energy to spur them forward. If there's no looming stress, they're not going to work as hard, in their minds. It's when the excess energy becomes a hindrance. Some high-anxiety people use that energy as very motivating...they always go above and beyond to get things done, because they literally HAVE to, to feel okay about things. They need that push. But, sometimes, the scale tips. The push to accomplish becomes so great that it's not sustainable, and the people flame out, essentially, and become completely paralyzed and spiral downward. Or, they get hung up on an obstacle that can't be overcome, and then go into an avoidance spiral with the same negative outcome (like when procrastnators stop having that time crunch be motivating and invigorating, and it starts to become defeatist and paralyzing). It's kind of a two-sides-of-the-same-coin phenomenon.

Overall, an excess of energy that's becoming maladaptive can be addressed with a variety of grounding techniques and self-calming strategies. Many people equate meditation with self-soothing, but there are other grounding techniques. I have worked with people who absolutely cannot abide breathing exercises, for instance...these are commonly suggested self-calming strategies, but there are definitely people for whom they have the opposite effect. For those people, there are other sensory techniques that may be of use.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:13 PM

12 posts, read 5,053 times
Quote:

Thanks for input.

Hello NJDevil,

It's thoughtful of you to reach out and help your friend with their stress and anxiety. You are right to worry about long term stress, as we all do, but rest assured our bodies and minds are stronger than we think and can withstand more than we believe.

Beginners Meditation 101: For all those intimidated by "breathe deep and clear your mind of everything". HOW STRESSFUL. If you knew how to do that, you wouldn't need to meditate. I get it. Here's some tips to help you get started.

I think the most important thing to learn when it comes to meditation is that you are probably doing it wrong if you find it hard to do! Relax, go easy on yourself, just breathe. There is no one definitive way of meditation; it's about what works for you. Simply find a few moments, minutes to be still, be quiet, only clear your mind of the past and future thoughts, but by all means get ready for present-in-the-moment thoughts. This is being mindful; not voiding oneself of all thoughts. That's hard to do so give yourself a break on that one.

Lay down and remove all stimuli. Dark room, close eyes, cover ears and do nothing. Fill your mind with random in the moment thoughts of your surroundings (ie, it sure is quiet--- my left big toe is a little cold--- hmm...is that bacon/chocolate/socks I smell??? ) This keeps you present and will clear one's mind out of sheer boredom. Doesn't take long.

Now, just be. It's okay to think -- meditation is when you are at your clearest and being clear about YOU is very relaxing to one's overall health, mind and body. "Meditation" is not a noun, it's a verb. Go put it to action. Practice a few times and it'll get easier to get straight to your clear state in no time.

Give it a good shot; it can go a long way in relieving stress and anxiety.
You can do it!

Warm Regards.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health