Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:36 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
The dog advice is good. I have a cat. She's a great pet, but obviously I don't take her out. I'm about to start looking at dogs and trying to figure out what breed I want. I'm looking at possibly getting a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or a Double Doodle. I'm also going to volunteer at an animal adoption place.
Awesome! Those are great breeds for socializing - you might want to go with the doodles, as the corgis can be stroppy.

Good luck with the volunteering

(I bought a backpack carrier for my cat, btw. She seems to enjoy outings in it, even when we go to the vet.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Awesome! Those are great breeds for socializing - you might want to go with the doodles, as the corgis can be stroppy.

Good luck with the volunteering

(I bought a backpack carrier for my cat, btw. She seems to enjoy outings in it, even when we go to the vet.)
Good advice. I have a friend with 2 doodles. I'd never seen one before. His dogs are awesome! Seem to be pretty smart too.

Returned the paperwork for volunteering at a shelter today. Maybe I'll find my next dog there.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teniralc21 View Post
I just started volunteering at an animal shelter, and I really enjoy. It hasn't been great for meeting people so far, but the dogs love the attention and going for walks, and they are always so happy to see me. (I have a cat, too, but she hates dogs so I won't be able to get a dog until she passes away).
Good Move....you never know who you will meet human or animal.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'm an introvert and love the peace and quiet in my house, so I don't need a lot of interaction. The longest relationships I've had are people in my church (late DH and I joined it 12 years ago) and people in Toastmasters, especially the club I joined in 2014 when I retired. A few of those are close enough that I can have deep conversations with them. On-line dating worked for me and I met a nice guy who lives an hour away- I wasn't really looking for 24/7 togetherness so this may work out well. I also work out daily at the gym, but just know a few people to say "hi" to, belong to a Garden Club and compete as a retiree in the local corporate athletic competition.

So, it's enough to get me out but enough "alone" time as well. The key is to pursue things you generally like and find interesting. Sometimes you meet kindred spirits along the way, sometimes you don't.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Single middle aged guy here...youthful and try to stay active. Work out three times a week, etc. Just realized have no real close friends...they all married/divorced, etc and drifted out of my life years ago. Have gotten complacent, and have not put myself out there much the last few years after a dating breakup...like live music but not really into drinking and the club scene. Hear that lonliness is like smoking 15 cigarettes a day as you get older, so need to get back out there. Tired of internet dating and looking for low budget ways to meet new people. Any suggestions are appreciated on how/where to find common interest clubs and so forth. Thanks!
The main thing you have to do is socialize,talk to people, ask them out fo social events join clubs, i find the YMCA a great place to socialize, also Meetup.com.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
I also agree with the YMCA, classes at the YMCA, Church, groups at the church. For women, you could visit South America, some of the women really love American men (fair skinned, light eyes) (just be careful they want you and not the U.S.A). I've even met people in recovery groups, some of the best people I have ever met in life, but I don't recommend falling into addiction to meet people. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2019, 07:23 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I stay active by traveling. Living in one place for too long bores me, so I relocate often for work. Thankfully, I have a job that allows me to live just about anywhere. I move when I want to. Currently in CO, but won't stay too much longer. My kids are grown and I have nothing tying me down. So, after 1.5 years I've decided to return to the east coast where I am not so land-locked. The EC geographic location just works better for my lifestyle. Currently, I find fulfillment by exploring new cities, experiences new cultures and meeting people. I enjoy my solo, nomadic lifestyle. Loneliness can't catch me I guess.

I second JD's advice, just GO OUT.
I want to be like you.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:25 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
YMCA? Wow, what a change in reputation from many years ago. I've never met anyone at the gym. I go to an upscale (excuse to rip people off) gym and never meet anyone. There's no shortage of women in my yoga class, thats for sure. But I wouldn't even attempt to talk to someone unless they were right next to me and happened to be looking at me. I don't know how to tell who's single and who's married, or if they're open to meeting anyone. I've always been bad at this. Many of the women in my gym look like models, and of course those women are with guys usually.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 AM

105 posts, read 129,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
...but I don't recommend falling into addiction to meet people.
Excellent advice!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Single middle aged guy here...youthful and try to stay active. Work out three times a week, etc. Just realized have no real close friends...they all married/divorced, etc and drifted out of my life years ago. Have gotten complacent, and have not put myself out there much the last few years after a dating breakup...like live music but not really into drinking and the club scene. Hear that lonliness is like smoking 15 cigarettes a day as you get older, so need to get back out there. Tired of internet dating and looking for low budget ways to meet new people. Any suggestions are appreciated on how/where to find common interest clubs and so forth. Thanks!
You are not alone. I've tried Meetup. I find those people already have family and friends. It is just something else to do. I honestly do not know what to do. I want to meet people but I want to meet the right type of people. There are a lot of crazy people out there. Sigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health