Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:20 PM

98 posts, read 95,191 times

Advertisements

I’m always talking to myself when I’m alone, or at least when I think I’m alone. I guess I do it because of boredom and loneliness, or because I just need something to think about. I always do it at home, at my college dorm, and in my car. The only times I may do it in public are when my laptops not working for me, or I realize I forgot something and I get rattled and slip something out. I know you shouldn’t do it around people, but is ok to talk to yourself in private? Or is there still something wrong with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
No.

It's not okay.

Stop it.

J/K

Old 10-23-2019, 01:29 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
I’m always talking to myself when I’m alone, or at least when I think I’m alone. I guess I do it because of boredom and loneliness, or because I just need something to think about. I always do it at home, at my college dorm, and in my car. The only times I may do it in public are when my laptops not working for me, or I realize I forgot something and I get rattled and slip something out. I know you shouldn’t do it around people, but is ok to talk to yourself in private? Or is there still something wrong with it?
Probably depends on what you are saying to yourself, not whether you do it. FWIW, I've always talked to myself. Most of the time it is for a good reason...reminding myself to do something, verbalizing to clarify a thought or decision I might be wrestling with, etc. If I spent that time beating myself on the head telling myself how stupid I am maybe that's not such a great thing. When you think about it, something you shouldn't or wouldn't say to someone else is probably not productive to say TO yourself.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Is it ok to talk to yourself in private?
I think, it's OK. Lots of people do that. We actually talk to ourselves silently all the time.
This inner talk is very healthy and has a special role in keeping our minds fit. It helps us organize our thoughts, plan actions, consolidate memory and modulate emotions. In other words, it helps us control ourselves.
Talking out loud can be an extension of this silent inner talk.
So, the only thing to worry about is when the talking in private became second nature and you start to talk to yourself when you're in public. Then, of course, it will look odd. But still, it depends if you care what others think.
But being caught talking to yourself, especially if using your own name in the conversation, could be embarrassing because the entire purpose of talking aloud is to communicate with others.

Talking to yourself is like writing notes - it helps very often to gain control during challenging tasks, performance substantially improves when we do it out loud. I think most of us sometimes just say something aloud, like a command, or reprimand.
Talking out loud, when the mind is not wandering, could actually be a sign of high cognitive functioning. Rather than being mentally ill, it can make you intellectually more competent. The stereotype of the mad scientist talking to themselves, lost in their own inner world, might reflect the reality of a genius who uses all the means at their disposal to increase their brainpower.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:05 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
oops

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-23-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 PM

497 posts, read 422,820 times
I don't know now. I think in private, it is okay, as long as you are not talking with normal or loud tone of voice.
When my husband was working, he would talk to himself and it sounded as a way to prepare for business interaction. Sort of practicing a speech.

I'm concerned because he does it all the time the second I leave the room or our home and sometimes I hear weird noises When I ask about it, he would say "don't worry" I think he does self talk on angry conversations.

I talk to myself when I am stressed out at work. Not loud and not for long period of time. Just enough to get through a problem and once it is done, it is over. Sometimes I write a to-do list to keep myself on track with my job tasks.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Do you pull yourself aside for these "private" conversations?

Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
yes, it's OK....what could possibly be "wrong" with it?
Lots of people do it.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 AM

52 posts, read 29,386 times
I do it myself sometimes, but I try to avoid doing it too much in public.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 AM

52 posts, read 29,386 times
I do it myself sometimes. I do try to avoid it in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health