Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2021, 06:26 PM

10,096 posts, read 4,825,867 times

Advertisements

Know a senior who was cited for hoarding a few years ago refusing help or advice and procrastinating with the same excuses that got them into trouble last time. One area room ok beyond that is worse than last time including human poop and urine stains in carpet and smell in bedroom and near by areas.

She still rants about the original inspectors saying they are still out to get her and accuses them of intimidation, theft, spying etc but won't file a complaint, get a lawyer. And she wont admit to the extent of her medical issues fearing she'll be placed in a nursing home(this before the virus as well). Today she probably could go into one of her choice because of her good but not huge finances.

Last eviction she 'said' she was taken to hospital for a medical issue which there are many but over time she talks about stuff like they put security in her room, they finally took off wrist straps and those people think she's a hoarder(she hesitantly used the word). She deserved the citation and was given a chance to clean it up with a lot of help including myself, others and an entire group of volunteers. She barely passed. But it's never her fault and is always playing the victim. She refused and accused one church group that was provided for her of wanting only the valuable stuff when cleaning out for themselves. A few months passed and another group was obtained and they told her no choice this time. And she bad mouths them. Never compliments or say if it weren't for them ....

I'm hoping the apartment staff or local government does another inspection soon. I'm not family and her family already told her they would help with medical issues only not an impending eviction (They did not help clean last time) They even offered a room/to come live with them.

Her nasty behavior has always included attitude, arrogance and pompus but now either bad memory or lies makes her a danger to others although a hoarded apartment is a danger to entire complex.

Last edited by anononcty; 07-05-2021 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 03:52 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,524,981 times
There is not much unusual about this sad to say. Does not matter the age although hoarders tend to be older women.

There are some serious mental issues involved and the whole issue is very difficult to treat.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:55 AM

10,096 posts, read 4,825,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
There is not much unusual about this sad to say. Does not matter the age although hoarders tend to be older women.

There are some serious mental issues involved and the whole issue is very difficult to treat.
I frequently feel like I'm in a epi of Hoarders when there. And just like the shows the hoarder is frequently a very nasty, combative person to say the least.

Old 09-08-2021, 04:59 AM

15,258 posts, read 13,085,083 times
My personal experience with a hoarder (my spouse) exposes his warped thinking based on his parents' insistence on thriftiness when he was growing up.

For instance, I use plastic bag liners for our trash cans. He takes the full bag out to the dumpster, dumps the contents into the dumpster and then "saves" the bag. I didn't know about this until I found a big pile of dirty bag liners inside our casita. It doesn't seem to occur to him that having loose items in the dumpster means that when the garbage is picked up by the city, inevitably pieces of it will blow away down the street and into our shrubbery.

We have a citrus grove along one side of our property with a large lemon tree. Yes, he hoards lemons. Never uses them for anything, just hides them in our refrigerators when I'm not looking. They eventually rot and I have to throw them out.

I wonder how many hoarders were raised by Depression-era parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health