Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 11:48 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,013,961 times

Advertisements

How do you cope with stress these days? What do you do when you get overwhelmed? Maybe you are dealing with a stressful situation or multiple stressful factors, for example: an illness, at work, a relationship, chronic pain, regarding money or something else.

Can you share some tips? What works for you?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 11:53 AM

11,079 posts, read 6,887,781 times
I am dealing with multiple stress factors. I use prayer, breathing, exercise (walking or occasionally going to the gym), getting outside in sunshine and fresh air. I haven't found talk therapy to work very well, and it costs money. I also watch comedies and other feel good TV or movies. I listen to upbeat music (there's currently a thread on here about that).

Hope you feel better soon. It is a daily process, not a one time fix!

Old 03-27-2023, 02:20 PM

I'm OK, thank you.

I recover with reading, meditation, positive affirmations while taking a walk in the woods, having tea, knitting outside on the balcony, petting the cat, cleaning the bathroom, etc.

Last edited by farm108; 03-27-2023 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-27-2023, 02:23 PM

11,079 posts, read 6,887,781 times
I'm from Southern California (though live elsewhere now). When my children were very little, I used to clean the kitchen floor but only when I was furious LOL That's when it would get really clean.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:58 PM

Funny. I know exactly what you mean...

Old 03-27-2023, 04:40 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet:

If one of the stressors I'm dealing with is something I've been avoiding or churning my brain over (TBH, there's often something like this going on), I sit down with myself, face it head on, make a plan/decision and stick to it. Do what needs to be done. No matter how uncomfortable. Turn the tables on it. Instead of it controlling me, I take control of it. Even if I can't solve the entire problem right away just the knowledge that I've taken action is invigorating, empowering. Feeling overwhelmed and stressed out is often a matter of feeling powerless. Give yourself some.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:38 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
How do you cope with stress these days? What do you do when you get overwhelmed? Maybe you are dealing with a stressful situation or multiple stressful factors, for example: an illness, at work, a relationship, chronic pain, regarding money or something else.

Thanks.
I get stressed when I have too much in my plate, home maintenance, cooking shopping,, volunteering things i have committed to, i eliminate stuff i don’t want to do. just don’t do them, cancel out. i slow way down, do things more slowly, no multitasking. I sit in the sun and bask. i pray, meditate. breathe.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post

Thanks.
Stress is the body’s natural defense against predators and danger. It causes the body to flood with hormones that prepare its systems to evade or confront danger. People commonly refer to this as the fight-or-flight mechanism.

When humans face a challenge or threat, they have a partly physical response. The body activates resources that help people either stay and confront the challenge or get to safety as fast as possible.

The body produces larger quantities of the chemicals cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. These trigger the following physical reactions:

increased blood pressure
heightened muscle preparedness
sweating
alertness
These factors all improve a person’s ability to respond to a potentially hazardous or challenging situation. Norepinephrine and epinephrine also cause a faster heart rate.

Environmental factors that trigger this reaction are called stressors. Examples include noises, aggressive behavior, a speeding car, scary moments in movies, or even going out on a first date. Feelings of stress tend to increase in tandem with the number of stressors.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:45 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
How do you deal with past trauma experience. You are now in a new place and space emotionally but the memory of suffering can rise up and you feel that sense of dread and misery of it all over again.
I try to be objective about it, separate the experience from my sense of self, meditate, deep breathe, write. I wait for it to pass.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:39 AM

EMDR - psychotherapy. It is specific for trauma and PTSD. You only need a few sessions with a good psychotherapist. 6-8 sessions is more than enough.

If you are a woman, a good fit would be a female psychotherapist. If you are a man - a male psychotherapist. But if you are comfortable talking dark stuff with either gender, either female or male are OK. It doesn't matter if you are OK and feel very
very at ease during the sessions.

The memory doesn't rise up after doing the therapy that I suggested. Not as often as before or not at all. Or, if you still remember or get triggered, you stop thinking about it that second and: think a positive thing, a happy memory. You do this every time, over and over again. And in time, gradually the thinking patterns change. And you change. And don't get triggered anymore. At first less and less and then, at all.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health