Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 07:07 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

I have a full time job, and I am at my wit's end that everything I want to do seems to be hard to find on weekends. Not only are many businesses not open on weekends, but social events I can find also seem to be mostly on weeknights, many being well after dinner time. Combined with working full time, it seems everyone wants me on weekdays, and nothing on weekends. I feel like I am "forced" to choose between my health and being able to live a full life. What gives, and why does it seem the norm is to do everything on weekdays and weeknights and struggle to get up in the morning? Am I the only one frustrated by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 07:45 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Exactly how early are you going to bed that weeknight evening events are problematic? I have only one activity that puts me out past 9 p.m. The rest are finished before then, sometimes well before.

And probably people want to do things on weeknights because they save their weekends for time with family, chores around the house, all-day events and activities, etc. As well as the fact that when the weather is nice (if in a cold-weather area), many people are vacationing on weekends, or doing activities that are outdoors or summertime-only things (many areas will have more festivals, art fairs. nature events, etc.), so activities may be sparse of participants.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:09 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Sounds like you have what they call the fear of missing out. Once you lose that, you can stop caring and get some shuteye, lol..

Old 05-25-2023, 06:11 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
In the caveman times, we looked at the stars all night. Watched the beautiful sunrise. Then there was stuff to do during the day. Then the beautiful evening. Then we looked at the stars all night. Depends on when you want to get some sleep.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:36 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Exactly how early are you going to bed that weeknight evening events are problematic? I have only one activity that puts me out past 9 p.m. The rest are finished before then, sometimes well before.

And probably people want to do things on weeknights because they save their weekends for time with family, chores around the house, all-day events and activities, etc. As well as the fact that when the weather is nice (if in a cold-weather area), many people are vacationing on weekends, or doing activities that are outdoors or summertime-only things (many areas will have more festivals, art fairs. nature events, etc.), so activities may be sparse of participants.
Basically came to say the same.

Some detail might help...about what kinds of social events and businesses/shopping keep you out so late, and what "late" means to you.

Are you truly worried about your health or are you just sleepy? Who's applying peer pressure? WHat time do you feel the need to go to bed?

When I was single and no kids and not a homeowner I managed to fit a ton in, with no ill effects. I tried to 'stack' my errands on one evening as best i could, even if it meant that ONE night was a late one. Any by late I don't mean like midnight.

I would find it odd in a way that people would be concerned about not having enough time to do XYZ and then I'd learn they watch 2 hours of TV and our 2 hours of videogames before sleep.

Last edited by rokuremote; 05-25-2023 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-25-2023, 11:29 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I have a full time job, and I am at my wit's end that everything I want to do seems to be hard to find on weekends. Not only are many businesses not open on weekends, but social events I can find also seem to be mostly on weeknights, many being well after dinner time. Combined with working full time, it seems everyone wants me on weekdays, and nothing on weekends. I feel like I am "forced" to choose between my health and being able to live a full life. What gives, and why does it seem the norm is to do everything on weekdays and weeknights and struggle to get up in the morning? Am I the only one frustrated by this?

Every one of us has been through the same thing during our working careers

Time to learn adulting

Old 05-25-2023, 02:21 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
So we have a full-time job, and not working on the weekends (the same schedule as mine). That's about 15 hours a day during the week for leisure time, and a whole weekend free. Life is good! I mean, how horrible!

Old 05-25-2023, 02:57 PM

595 posts, read 264,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Combined with working full time, it seems everyone wants me on weekdays, and nothing on weekends.
So how about you organize something on a weekend and invite others to participate?

Or are your friends all married or have kids, which means their weekends are devoted to family life?

Old 05-25-2023, 03:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
It is not my experience that many businesses are closed on weekends. I live full time in a part of the country that has many businesses closed on Sundays, but Saturdays are very busy.

I'd also say that I find it rare that people try to get together mid-week, with may be the exception of Thursday/Friday nights?

Old 05-25-2023, 03:57 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
In the caveman times, we looked at the stars all night. Watched the beautiful sunrise. Then there was stuff to do during the day. Then the beautiful evening. Then we looked at the stars all night. Depends on when you want to get some sleep.
In caveman times humans worked their butts off day in and day out just to gather enough food and build shelters to stay alive and fend off predators. Staying up all night to stargaze? Permit me to doubt! Probably too exhausted by the time the stars come out to do that very often; unless you happened to be a shaman whose job it was to find/interpret portents!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-25-2023 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health