Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2023, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 979 times

Advertisements

I was romantically involved with a guy I suspect is a covert narcissist and a possible psychopath for a short time. I friendzoned him after two weeks because he just broke up with his girlfriend and I didn't want a broken heart but kept dealing with him for a few more months on and off, but nothing sexual during that time. I could no longer take the gaslighting, controlling behavior, manipulation, superiority complex, jealousy of my accomplishments, etc

I’m not sure I handle it the right way but after meeting him on Sunday night and pretty much being gaslighted, ignored, and talked down to I had to stand up for myself. Unfortunately, he was baiting me to open up to him emotionally which I did unfortunately and told him about my traumatic childhood.

I sent a very direct text the next morning calling out his narcissism and pointing out all his insecurities (no judgment please ). Nothing was off limits. He’s insecure about his income as a scientist, his looks, his penis size, his status, his social awkwardness, that he doesn’t measure up, his body, everything! I mentioned he wasn’t special and that he was not great.

That he’s not more intelligent or more deserving and that he doesn’t deserve my kindness or anyone’s.
I told him to not contact me anymore and that I would do the same. Finally, I wrote “Good Riddance”.
He texted back an hour later but I'm not going to reply and going no contact.

What are your thoughts on the below text? I'm trying to learn these behaviors so I recognize patterns and it won't happen again. I've since learned narc terms like Baiting and Hoovering, which I had NO clue about before. I've blocked his number since he sent his reply. Also, from our meet-up this Sunday, I gathered he might be tracking my movements online which concerns me, even though it seemed like he was done with me and possibly was dating someone else.

This is what he wrote:

"“Wow!!! Now that's something! I was not expecting to wake up to this!

Last edited by wondergal25; 07-05-2023 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-05-2023, 10:33 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Welcome to the site.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:58 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,148,402 times
Stay no contact.

Side note- psychopaths don't experience guilt like normal people. He might fake emotion to reel you in but in his head, you're a fish and he's a fisherman. Victims of sociopaths and psychopaths get to experience the whole "out of the frying pan, into the fire" cycle of life with a psycho (you are consumed and discarded.)

Don't get stuck on trying to "win." You cannot win in a social interaction with a person who cares about nothing. Cut your losses, reduce your online presence, and file a police report if he tries to contact again.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I agree with everything except filing a police report. I had a mild skirmish (verbal) with a strange hostile neighbor a couple of years ago, which was instigated by him. I was concerned because the person has a violent record. I went to the police to make a report of the interaction and was told by the policeman that there was no crime, so he could not take a formal police report. I asked him to note the incident somewhere. I don't know if he did. Rather doubt it. In my mind he should have at least noted it somewhere because the person has a violent record.

In this case, there appears to be no prior incident, nor a current one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.