Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2023, 02:42 PM

401 posts, read 319,763 times

Advertisements

This is just a rant from the depths of rock bottom. Society as a whole does not care about the mentally ill. The entire healthcare system, including mental healthcare, is designed to put bandaids over a deeper issue so that people can continue to be a productive member of society. All they want is us sacrificing our time, money, and sanity just to keep the capitalist hamster wheel spinning. The cost is too great but the strong don't care if the weak don't survive.

5 therapists, 2 ARMHS workers, and a financial advisor have been unable to help me fix my life. Asking for advice from friends and strangers has led me nowhere other than being invalidated, judged, misundertood, or ignored. I have an Autistic brain which doesn't work like theirs. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder, and undiagnosed ADHD. Everyone wants me on medications but I am fine when I can retreat from the world and still have all my needs met, so I refuse to subject my own body to harmful side effects when it's society that is the cause of my problems. I have been denied Disability even though Autism Spectrum Disorder is on the list of qualifying conditions. I haven't been able to work in 5 years. I live alone so I get no help with bills or rent. I have always struggled with work, relationships, and functioning in daily life.

Nobody cares that I will probably end up homeless or dead. They only care after someone is gone, then they wonder how this happened. THIS is how it happens. Being consistently shoved aside, hoping someone else can take on the burden of helping.

Can anyone relate?

Old 08-12-2023, 03:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
This is just a rant from the depths of rock bottom. Society as a whole does not care about the mentally ill. The entire healthcare system, including mental healthcare, is designed to put bandaids over a deeper issue so that people can continue to be a productive member of society. All they want is us sacrificing our time, money, and sanity just to keep the capitalist hamster wheel spinning. The cost is too great but the strong don't care if the weak don't survive.

5 therapists, 2 ARMHS workers, and a financial advisor have been unable to help me fix my life. Asking for advice from friends and strangers has led me nowhere other than being invalidated, judged, misundertood, or ignored. I have an Autistic brain which doesn't work like theirs. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder, and undiagnosed ADHD. Everyone wants me on medications but I am fine when I can retreat from the world and still have all my needs met, so I refuse to subject my own body to harmful side effects when it's society that is the cause of my problems. I have been denied Disability even though Autism Spectrum Disorder is on the list of qualifying conditions. I haven't been able to work in 5 years. I live alone so I get no help with bills or rent. I have always struggled with work, relationships, and functioning in daily life.

Nobody cares that I will probably end up homeless or dead. They only care after someone is gone, then they wonder how this happened. THIS is how it happens. Being consistently shoved aside, hoping someone else can take on the burden of helping.

Can anyone relate?
Society is like that with everyone. Mental illness or no mental illness, your problems are yours alone and yours to solve.

Consider yourself lucky. You mention you have an “autistic” brain. I know ASD is a spectrum that is being broadened with every year but most of the Autistic kids I met were none-verbal and required care 24/7. Meanwhile you’re clearly well read and intelligent judging by your post.

So you should stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop expecting society to care about you, because society never will. But you have all the tools you need to succeed, just use them.

Old 08-12-2023, 03:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Maybe the OP should try to take some of the advice instead of only complaining how it won't work and starting endless threads over how misunderstood she is.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:24 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
This is a realistic awakening for you on the path to health.

I wouldn't say nobody cares. Mental illness is a huge industry and so many people in this country are mentally ill by the standard definition that there must be hundreds of thousands of people who care. There are also plenty of people who are mentally ill who have never been diagnosed and they live among us thinking they are fine and everyone else is crazy. They have their problems and cause them for others also.

What I would say is that the amount of money needed to help every mentally ill person in this country is never going to be enough. Traditionally neither of the parties in power ever spends even close to what is needed. They build beautiful facilities but how do we know that they hire the most competent workers and then take good care of them so they don't get ill from the stress? We know a great deal of mental illness remains still a mystery whose answers are still in process. You have been fortunate enough to get more care than a lot of people who are troubled.

But the hard cold truth is that no one can heal you but yourself. And all of us, well and otherwise, come in alone and leave alone even if we are lucky enough to have people who care about us.

It's a sad fact of life but the sooner we finally realize it we pick up the pace of self-care. And we learn that much healing of many ailments can come from helping others. Healing is as much an attitude as it is a medical procedure.

We live in a time when better self-care is possible with all the resources available through the computer and free support groups. A lot of healing is done through being able to talk with others with the same problems and having them identify with you. Treat those relationships with care as they can be a valuable source of help.

As with all maladies sufferers may not heal but may learn to live with what has been dealt and I think that is a good definition of success.

I have been fortunate to be in the healing business and have met many interesting people through it. Because of that
I could pick the above paragraphs apart sentence by sentence and tell you why it's all worthless. I've heard all the discouragement. It's a lonely and discouraging illness.

But a few of the things I've mentioned are ideas that some who become most well-situated with their illness have adopted.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:28 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

A lot of healing is done through being able to talk with others with the same problems and having them identify with you. Treat those relationships with care as they can be a valuable source of help.
This might help some a little but there is a point in time, when you had enough talking with others that experienced the same things/traumas as you did. Usually some (most?) people like to talk about their suffering over and over again. It's not healthy at some point, not helpful. It's like walking on a treadmill, you do something, you are walking and walking, but in fact, you don't make progress, you are stationary.

If you want to feel good you would rather spend time in the company of cheerful people because their vibrations will lift you up. You go out in nature, you read about mindfulness and living in the present, you eat healthy, you listen to music, watch cartoons, comedies etc. You do your best to calm yourself, to relax the mind.

OP, take care.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:53 AM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Where are your parents? Could you not move back in with them?

Old 08-13-2023, 11:19 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
5 therapists, 2 ARMHS workers, and a financial advisor have been unable to help me fix my life. Asking for advice from friends and strangers has led me nowhere other than being invalidated, judged, misundertood, or ignored.
But its everyone else, not you, right?

In all seriousness, what do you hope to gain out of this thread, vs. your others which have largely been argumentative, ignoring the advice of others

Old 08-13-2023, 11:21 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Thread closed, pending review by assigned moderator.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health