Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2023, 10:27 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.self.com/story/physical-...term=SLF_Daily
Quote:
It’s no secret that anxiety can do weird things to your mind. But the physical symptoms of anxiety can be just as unpleasant and unpredictable—anyone who has suffered through the experience of a panic attack can vouch for that. To complicate things even further, you can even experience physical anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious emotionally (or at least without being totally aware of it).

While your brain ruminates over a worry or fear that feels all-consuming, it’s also signaling the production of powerful stress hormones. This is actually your body’s way of trying to protect you from perceived danger or harm (thanks, evolution!). But since most of your anxious thoughts probably aren’t actually stemming from life-or-death situations, you just end up dealing with a cascade of symptoms that leave you feeling freaked out, exhausted, or generally lousy.

What kinds of symptoms, you ask? Let’s dig into them. If you’re not sure whether the physical stuff you’re dealing with are actually red flags for intense stress or worry, this guide can help. Here are the most common physical effects of anxiety and, more importantly, what you can do to start feeling better.
I hope that this can help someone on this forum
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 11:14 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It doesn't. Just a random collection of information that we already know because we're living it, followed up by the usual "professional therapy/medication" solutions that cost $$$.

There were so many external links in that article it gave me anxiety just trying to read through it. Useless filler content.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,468 times
Quote:
[snipped link] I hope that this can help someone on this forum
When you start a post with the title '...that prove,' you simply point out that mental health is a mind/body connection and a cure should be holistic.

Golly, there are interventions for this, including a good education to prevent the proliferation of folly.

For those who can recall, this seems like a Bob Newhart/Gary Shandling moment. It's really not me, or is it?

Old 11-13-2023, 04:55 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
It doesn't. Just a random collection of information that we already know because we're living it, followed up by the usual "professional therapy/medication" solutions that cost $$$.
I'm sorry that your first reaction is mentally checking your bank account. Treatment for anxiety with therapy and medications can be expensive...it appears the cost is a barrier for you to access it.

Your income can influence how much you pay for your sessions. Some therapists or online therapy platforms offer financial assistance to those who need it. How flexible the price will be depends on your therapist or online therapy service. Even if you're not sure if you qualify, it's worth asking what financial assistance is available.

Good luck

Old 11-13-2023, 06:02 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Your income can influence how much you pay for your sessions.
I'm not sure I'd want any "sessions" at any price, or even if I had all the money in the world. Look at the number of celebrities and other wealthy people of note who ended their lives. They could afford the clock care and treatment if they wanted it. I'd wager some of them did attempt "therapy" and that's probably what led them down that final path.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:25 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'm not sure I'd want any "sessions" at any price, or even if I had all the money in the world. Look at the number of celebrities and other wealthy people of note who ended their lives. They could afford the clock care and treatment if they wanted it. I'd wager some of them did attempt "therapy" and that's probably what led them down that final path.
Resistance to therapy for anxiety...it can be perceived as unhelpful simply due to the underlying factors that the person is struggling with. A person who is a rigid thinker might be resistant to making the appropriate behavioral changes because they don't agree with them.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:25 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:

I think you meant well, but this article comes across like an advertisement and isn't really helpful, at least to me. I was interested enough to read it because I've been having mild panic attacks lately, but they don't get into the meat of it before throwing out general symptoms.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:32 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Anxiety runs in some families so when that's the case I assume there would be no talk therapy cure but it can be managed with drugs by professionals.

Morning anxiety can be caused from cortisol build up before waking. Too much caffeine, sugar and medications can cause it also.

When I feel anxiety I just keep telling myself "it's only feelings" and the anxiety eventually passes. As the OP posted, anxiety exists to protect you from danger so it's not a bad thing, be thankful your body has a warning system, but just tell it to calm down if you're not in serious danger.

I gave a few reasons why some anxiety isn't mental, that's what I thought this article was about but it's not, it's about the physical symptoms from mental anxiety, the title is ridiculous and misleading, imo.

Last edited by wp169; 11-13-2023 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health