Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Lately my husband has been reading alot of conspiracy theory things. Really crazy stuff, he is on the computer all the time looking up this garbage.He was on a site this summer that my 6 year old saw and told me about, it had unborn dead frozen babies in jars and rich people trying to take over the world. I yelled at my husband and said he cant let the kids see this stuff. The group that had the video online is called something like the " bradelebog" group or something close to that.
How the government is trying to take over and how Bush passed some crazy laws that anyone can be arrested for being suspected of being a enemy traitor or something like that. I try to ignore what he tells me but it is getting so ridiculous. Last week when he got home from work I was in the driveway and when he got out of his car he looked at the sky and said "The airforce sure has been busy, look at all those chemtrails" i looked up and said "whatever" I figured it had something to do with his new paranoia. Yesterday my adult daughter told me when my husband was driving her over to our house he pointed out chemtrails and said the government is spraying chemicals in the air to control us. He just bought 2 new books last week on government conspiracy.
My question is, do people feel this paranoia is normal or is he going over the edge? I am wondering if I should call a therapist or something. I do not want to be married to a crazy person.I know that schizophrenia can start out with being paranoid. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions.
If one is in a place where everyone thinks alike, they will soon find that they only think one way, that everyone is like that.

In this last century, in the early days of or even before the Internet, I was on the mailing list Bisexu-l. Oh, we had such wonderful conversations about everything, we were a very jovial crowd. So then I am at a cousin's wedding, my uncle had rented out a club for all us young ones to be together the night of the rehearsal dinner, and here is my brother watching on the tv news about Melissa Etheridge and talking about how she should be burned at the stake.

I was shocked but what had happened? I had gotten so involved with the mailing list that I had lost sight that the rest of the world didn't necessarily think like that.

When one gets into their own https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink environment, they can lose sight of things. Is it being crazy? I don't think so, not in many cases anyhow, but one also might not recognize the situation they are in. Ie, it is sort of like the con man where, "He told you everything you expected to hear.". Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy where there is no counter opinion.

So what is to be done? We have a family friend who is sort of like how you describe your husband. He lives alone and conducts his life on his own terms. I certainly don't want to become like him so I stay involved with others, listen to counter opinions. Perhaps that is what is needed here for your husband to be around where he can hear counter opinions.

GRANTED, if someone has been "submerged" for a very long time, it may take quite a while for them to shift....if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
There is a lot I don't trust out there but I keep a balance and open mind. Some do go overboard. Some truly believe in aliens, to be honest, I don't know but my mind is open. I have over the years tuned into coast to coast radio and a lot of conspiracy theorists and alien believers. I tune some of it out, but again keep my mind open.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Lately my husband has been reading alot of conspiracy theory things. Really crazy stuff, he is on the computer all the time looking up this garbage.He was on a site this summer that my 6 year old saw and told me about, it had unborn dead frozen babies in jars and rich people trying to take over the world. I yelled at my husband and said he cant let the kids see this stuff. The group that had the video online is called something like the " bradelebog" group or something close to that.
How the government is trying to take over and how Bush passed some crazy laws that anyone can be arrested for being suspected of being a enemy traitor or something like that. I try to ignore what he tells me but it is getting so ridiculous. Last week when he got home from work I was in the driveway and when he got out of his car he looked at the sky and said "The airforce sure has been busy, look at all those chemtrails" i looked up and said "whatever" I figured it had something to do with his new paranoia. Yesterday my adult daughter told me when my husband was driving her over to our house he pointed out chemtrails and said the government is spraying chemicals in the air to control us. He just bought 2 new books last week on government conspiracy.
My question is, do people feel this paranoia is normal or is he going over the edge? I am wondering if I should call a therapist or something. I do not want to be married to a crazy person.I know that schizophrenia can start out with being paranoid. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions.
Its tricky...
it reminds me of a guy who suspected his wife was going deaf so he spoke to a doctor.
Doctor told him to try a graduated test on her.

He called from a different room, "whats for dinner "
No response.

He called from the doorway "what for dinner tonite"
Nothing.

Walked closer and repeated the question, nothing.

Finally put his arm around her and asked whats for dinner.
She said "FISH for the fourth time!"

Sometimes it ain't them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health