Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,539,971 times

Advertisements

I have gone two weeks without a cigarette I am fine, I quit with a buddy. She has two weeks also until today, she smoked one cigarette. Now this is stupid but here is my question, she has not smoked anymore and regrets that one. Will she go thru full blown withdrawl again like the first three days???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
She shouldn't but the craving will be there for years.

Former non-smoker

Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,212,113 times
No, one cigarette won't put her back that much. Tell her to forgive herself for the moment of weakness and just keep going without from now on. A slip is not a failure! Support her the best that you can regardless of if there are slip ups!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 PM

746 posts, read 3,502,464 times
It's not a big deal as long as it was just one, and is not repeated. It does take a while to get the desire to leave, but it is just the habit trying to con you again.

My bet is she was either having coffee, or a beer/drink when she had that butt. Or was in an uncomfortable social situation. All are triggers.

It does get easier as time goes on, and sometimes you just have to take my word for that.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,181,499 times
my husband quit cold turkey almost a month ago. If the cigs didn't kill him-I might if his mood dosn't improve soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,659,050 times
I quit cold turkey 2 years ago after smoking over 25 years. I had tried several times to quit. Once I failed even after 6 months because I had just one. You can't have just one, EVER, it is an addiction.

The first month is the hardest. There would be times even after a year I would get a whiff of a cigarette and "think" about having one, but didn't. Now after 2 years, I never think about them and they actually smell bad.

Hang in there. It's so worth it.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,659,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my husband quit cold turkey almost a month ago. If the cigs didn't kill him-I might if his mood dosn't improve soon!!!!!!!!!!!
The nicotine has cleared out of his system by now, so this is not a physical withdrawal, this is mental. If he doesn't calm down in the next week or so, tell him enough is enough. You can only whine so long.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 AM

27 posts, read 36,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I have gone two weeks without a cigarette I am fine, I quit with a buddy. She has two weeks also until today, she smoked one cigarette. Now this is stupid but here is my question, she has not smoked anymore and regrets that one. Will she go thru full blown withdrawl again like the first three days???
Congratulations to both of you for quitting smoking!

I smoked for years (too many to admit) and finally quit 6 months ago. I tried the patch, gum, hypnotherapy, accuppuncture, cold turkey...you name it I tried it. With every method I tried, the withdrawal symptoms lasted about 2 miserable weeks. For whatever reason, I found that if I ate sugar,the cravings worsened? I eventually went back to smoking.

Six months ago, a friend gave me the book Alan Carr's Easy Guide to Quitting smoking. As I was reading the book, I already started smoking less and after I finished the book, I never picked up a cigarette again. I kid you not.

You both sound like you are doing great so far but you still might need some back up options to keep you on the path. I highly recommend the book. If you decide not to read it, drink lots of water, skip the sugar and change your daily routines to distract you.

You CAN do this!! All the best to you both.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
It takes 3 days for the drug to clear the system and up to 8 weeks for the brain to start to repair the addictive brain functions from smoking.

Her cravings will increase.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,316,930 times
For me when I quit smoking, it took about 3 months to get over the urge to have a cigarette. I quit cold turkey, because I had tried everything else. I decided to do it for a challenge. It worked. Try to make it past the 6 month to 1 year mark. If you can make it that far, you can stay off of them for good.

And pay no attention to those smoking dreams. I haven't had a cigarette for 13 years and I still get those smoking dreams now and then. Where in the dream I'm in the store and buying cigarettes. And I tell the clerk, "It's ok, i only smoke in my dreams." And they smile and nod their head and give me my smokes. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health