Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 PM

35 posts, read 78,332 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom of 15 year old and 12 year old girls. The 15 year old has been to counselors seems like her whole life. We have never had the money to take her to a psychiatrist for a formal diagnosis, but the counselors have always said she was bipolar.

The level of her condition has gotten much worse with age and her symptoms are more and more clearly defined as time goes by. There's no doubt in my mind that she has an illness. Our daily life is a nightmare and the quality of the 12 year olds life has suffered for years because of the focus on the 'hurricane' in the home. I don't know how much longer any of us can cope. I am so worried about her future, the decisions she's about to make and I am equally worried what all of this is doing to her sister.

I don't have healthcare with my job and don't make enough to pay for expensive therapy and medication. I make too much to get assistance from ACCESS or the like and I feel truly alone in this. Can anyone suggest a path of action, resources, absolutely anything. I am absolutely desperate to get help.

Many thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Join NAMI - National Alliance for the Mentally Ill. It's an org for families with members who have a mental illness. Most cities have chapters and every state has a state chapter. They offer support meetings, peer to peer assistance/support, and lots of education.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress4 View Post
I'm a single mom of 15 year old and 12 year old girls. The 15 year old has been to counselors seems like her whole life. We have never had the money to take her to a psychiatrist for a formal diagnosis, but the counselors have always said she was bipolar.

The level of her condition has gotten much worse with age and her symptoms are more and more clearly defined as time goes by. There's no doubt in my mind that she has an illness. Our daily life is a nightmare and the quality of the 12 year olds life has suffered for years because of the focus on the 'hurricane' in the home. I don't know how much longer any of us can cope. I am so worried about her future, the decisions she's about to make and I am equally worried what all of this is doing to her sister.

I don't have healthcare with my job and don't make enough to pay for expensive therapy and medication. I make too much to get assistance from ACCESS or the like and I feel truly alone in this. Can anyone suggest a path of action, resources, absolutely anything. I am absolutely desperate to get help.

Many thanks for your time.

Where is the father? He should be providing health care.

Take one of your kids old notebooks and start journaling.
Write down a brief daily report; track her period.

I'm almost going to guess that she really is not bipolar.
Look up Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
Look up Premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD

Does she have one or 2 good weeks per month? My guess is this is hormonal.

I normally do not post about my children but I have a teen as well that we're still not sure if she's bipolar. I'm glad he doesn't want to just diagnose her even after all these years because I feel that bipolar is getting to be a convenience diagnosis. I don't mean any disrespect to the many people that actually suffer; but it's my opinion that many people, teachers included want to give a label; and bipolar is easy.. My ex-SIL was the same way as my girl, unfortunately she passed away fairly young (40), I do not think she was ever diagnosed. If I had her around still, I think a diagnosis would be easier.

My child has been difficult since day 1. I've thought maybe her sugar, tracked when she ate, what she ate. Had her tested. Honestly, I don't have a lot of good memories; seems like she's always in a bad mood. Screaming.

As she's getting older, I'm tracking her periods, her moods seem to be centered around that but it's not true PMS according to the Dr. So he put her on something for PMDD, currently taking Lexipro, Deplin & Adderall - she says she is feeling better.

See if you can find some blogs by parents of bipolar children.
It has helped me because my daughter is controllable where these children are not.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:02 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Online support group for family members of Bipolar II patients (or is she Bipolar I?):

Bipolar Type II Support Group

Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,965 times
There is a lot of useful information on bpkids.org as well. Some states have programs to help people such as you that work but don't have insurance, especially with children who have medical conditions. Look up the Katie Beckett program and see if your state has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health