Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

For the past few weeks I seem to drift in and out of sadness and much of the time I am easily irritated by many things going on. I seem to have trouble sleeping(on Sunday night/Monday morning I didn't sleep at all, didn't get any sleep until Monday night at 11pm). I can't fall asleep now. During the day I am often cranky and feel depressed alot. I don't know what this is. It might be depression, bipolar, I don't know what this is. I am afraid of psychologists because I have dealt with one before. It felt like I was being controlled. I don't like the idea of going on meds because I feel like they could turn me into a zombie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
If you don't want to see a psychologist, I'd recommend at least making an appointment with your family doctor. Tell him or her that you'd like to try natural remedies before resorting to medications. In the meantime, try to spend a bunch of time in the sun if possible... I know that when it's dark and cold here, I tend to feel depressed and very tired. Making a concerted effort to sit in the sun every day really helps me.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know it is tough. Been there, done that.

I suggest seeing a doctor. I agree with what beanandpumpkin wrote. Sun helps.

You truly need to talk to a professional about this. We all have "down" times. That's the nature of being human. However, since your sleep patterns are screwed up it's really important to get a handle on it asap.

Regarding meds: There are some really fine medications on the market that can help and you won't feel like a zombie. You may just have a chemical imbalance that can be "fixed" easily. A visit to a doctor can make all the difference.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Poor sleep is a hallmark for depression. You should go to your Dr. You can always try something natural like Sam-E moving move onto prescribed meds. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Go see the Dr., but first look at your lifestyle- is your bedroom condusive to sleep? Cut back on caffeine. Exercise. Eat better. Drink water. Try yoga. Look into herbs like Valerian. I would exhaust those before I went with a pharmaceutical solution. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I am worried about this because I am in school and this is interfering with school. Much of the time I am up late, I am not doing anything productive. Many cases I am trying to motivate myself to study. Sometimes I feel too depressed. In short, where I am headed now can't be good.

Last edited by green_mariner; 10-21-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
For the past few weeks I seem to drift in and out of sadness and much of the time I am easily irritated by many things going on. I seem to have trouble sleeping(on Sunday night/Monday morning I didn't sleep at all, didn't get any sleep until Monday night at 11pm). I can't fall asleep now. During the day I am often cranky and feel depressed alot. I don't know what this is. It might be depression, bipolar, I don't know what this is. I am afraid of psychologists because I have dealt with one before. It felt like I was being controlled. I don't like the idea of going on meds because I feel like they could turn me into a zombie.
Classic depression symptoms, which I suspect you already know. Educate yourself a bit about depression drugs, especially the SSRI's. They do not turn you into a zombie. Quite the opposite.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Go see the Dr., but first look at your lifestyle- is your bedroom condusive to sleep? Cut back on caffeine. Exercise. Eat better. Drink water. Try yoga. Look into herbs like Valerian. I would exhaust those before I went with a pharmaceutical solution. Good luck!
Good suggestions, but I want to add--if you do need an a/d, remember these words from my own therapist: The meds are similar to someone giving you a push when you are learning to ride a bicycle. They are SUPPOSED to be a temporary measure to speed up the beginning of the process whereby you can work through the things in your head and in your life, not a permanent substitute for making structural change within yourself. In too many instances, people take the meds and don't make the changes.

When I first went on an SSRI for depression and OCD, I was astonished after the 3 - 4 weeks it takes to notice a difference how clear my head was--I remember saying to the doctor, "Does EVERYBODY get to think like this?????" I had no idea my head was so muddy until the muddiness was gone.

And I no longer need them and no longer take them.

If you felt as though your therapist was controlling you, it could be one of two things--you didn't follow through long enough on the therapy to work that through--if feeling controlled is a major concern in your life, of course that's how you are going to feel about the therapist as that is exactly what therapeutic transference is--or the therapist was not a good fit for you. That happens, too.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Skip the psych. docs. for now, and check in with your regular Dr.
I have no idea if you have ever had your thyroid levels checked, but you are describing exactly how I used to feel....( turned out I was toxic hyperthyroid) good thing I didn't just run with the whole "classic depression" idea, because thyroid disorder is easily misdiagnosed as depression much of the time.
It is in your best interest to have your thyroid levels checked through a blood draw.
At least then you could rule it out.
Good luck to you.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am worried about this because I am in school and this is interfering with school. Much of the time I am up late, I am not doing anything productive. Many cases I am trying to motivate myself to study. Sometimes I feel too depressed. In short, where I am headed now can't be good.
It's good that you've recognized that there is a problem. There's a saying that you won't try to escape from a dungeon if you don't realize you are in one.

That's the first step. Good luck to you. Depression SUCKS and there is so much life to be lived. It can be better, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health