Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM

122 posts, read 372,868 times

Advertisements

Not an easy thing to do. I started smoking when I was 12 in 1972 and smoked until 2006. Almost 4 years of smoke free-Cold Turkey.
FIRST. You must determine that you REALLY want to quit smoking.
Smokes were about $2.75 a pack, then. I also drank beer. Drinking beer and smoking were like chips and salsa. They went hand-n-hand. I quit drinking beer and switched to red wine. I also started by looking at every cigarette before lighting it and telling the cigarette, (YES, talk to the cigarette) and myself, "If I do not quit, these things will kill me".
I started cutting back the number of smokes per day. Then told everyone (my smoke buddies at work) that I quit. For almost a year, I still smoked but not at work. Only before and after work. I still told every cig before lighting it "if I don't quit these things, they will kill me". Keep telling your smokes and yourself that.
Eventually, I had a dream that was induced by my repeated line. In my dream, I was facing myself and told myself in my dream "Quit Now or Die Soon"
Some how the next morning I did not want a smoke with my coffee. I have not had one since. No patches, drugs or substitute habits. Just keep telling yourself and your smokes before you light them. "I have to quit these things before they kill me"
Back to the math, in the first year I quit, I paid cash for a new set of Michelin tires for my truck. That was almost $700.00. Almost 4 years of smoke-free, everything taste better, my wheezing has gone away and yes, I gained 20 lbs. That's cool!!! I look at the 20 lbs as at least an extra 20 years of life. I did enjoy smoking very much but now I enjoy every day more knowing I am not killing myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Good for you.

I don't wanna quit. Don't try to make me.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,667,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good for you.

I don't wanna quit. Don't try to make me.
Of course you don't. That's why it's called an "Addiction" Your choice in this matter ended when you got your first craving.

There is help for your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Not an easy thing to do. I started smoking when I was 12 in 1972 and smoked until 2006. Almost 4 years of smoke free-Cold Turkey.
OP, good for you! You are amongst the 5% that beat it! You just saved your remaining life. Enjoy it and go buy something expensive. Like a new car.

Lets see. 2 packs a day or a new car.... I know.. a hard choice.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Of course you don't. That's why it's called an "Addiction" Your choice in this matter ended when you got your first craving.

There is help for your problem. Tell me how an adult choice constitutes a "problem"?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Well, it's a "problem" for him. Why? Because it's killing him, and he likes it.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Because it's killing him, and he likes it.
Maybe. But it's HIS choice to make alone not anyone else's.

All that aside this thread's topic is for those who wish to quit smoking.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
ttz

Quote:
Maybe. But it's HIS choice to make alone not anyone else's.
True. And it is my choice to go down to the slums and buy some crack cocaine and use it and develpe an addiction to it. Then I would have a "problem" Wouldn't I? LOL

Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM
ttz

The thing that urkes me is when "Smokers" say. "I don't want to quit"

It's the same thing as a crack addict saying. "I don't want to quit" It's my choice to do this and I really enjoy it. Well yes it is your choice. But know that you are killing yourself. As long as you have this understanding down and do not have any denial about it then we are good. Until then, people like me will "educate" you.

News flash. Any choice you had, ended a long time ago. Like within the first few months of smoking. Don't be in denial.

Of course smoking is hard. It's very enjoyable and when someone enjoys something a lot, they "Don't want to stop" Now ask yourself why do you enjoy it so much? If you think it's because of the novelty of it, the act of it, or the smell or taste of it. You are an idiot. And you need to do some research on this issue...

Here is a tip to get you started: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nicotine+Addiction

Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
True. And it is my choice to go down to the slums and buy some crack cocaine and use it and develpe an addiction to it. Then I would have a "problem" Wouldn't I? LOL
Quote:
The thing that urkes me is when "Smokers" say. "I don't want to quit"

It's the same thing as a crack addict saying. "I don't want to quit" It's my choice to do this and I really enjoy it. Well yes it is your choice. But know that you are killing yourself. As long as you have this understanding down and do not have any denial about it then we are good. Until then, people like me will "educate" you.

News flash. Any choice you had, ended a long time ago. Like within the first few months of smoking. Don't be in denial.
I will not respond to these post since they are way, way off topic.

Please refrain from post that might hijack this worthwhile topic thread.

Thank you.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
ttz

Quote:
I will not respond to these post since they are way, way off topic.

Please refrain from post that might hijack this worthwhile topic thread.

Thank you.
Well my posts are in response to someone else's response to the OP. This discussion is relevant to this topic: Smoking is very hard to do and a lot of people struggle with it. And my insight explains why. It's a serious "drug" addiction on the levels of Cocaine and Heroine use.

No, Thank you for playing

And to keep it a little more "on topic" for ya:

People "Who want to quit" should go visit www.whyquit.com - A great web site for those who want to keep living in this life.

And another great tip, get the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." By Allen Carr. Yes I have read it. And it's a great read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health