Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:37 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,002 times

Advertisements

Imagine ascending to the point where you become a Harvard student. Then imagine you're picked up by ICE and subject to deportation - because you were brought illegally to the USA when you were only four years old - and your feet have not touched Mexican soil since then.

This young student's story is just one more reason (among many) why the US Congress must begin addressing the immigration issue pronto. At least Harvard is standing behind this young man.

Eric Balderas, Harvard Student Brought To U.S. From Mexico At Age 4, May Be Deported

Old 06-12-2010, 03:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
I grew up in the USA and then as a college student I went a couple semesters in Mexico - it was not at all traumatic, and it was educational, very very interesting.

Mexico has universities - excellent ones - contrary to popular opinion.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM

I know Mexico has excellent universities; the point of the article being that this young man also grew up in the US and excelled to the point that he was accepted at one of the US's most prestigious schools. I think the discussion I had hoped to engender was what happens to these young people, who through no fault of their own are thrust into this horrible situation where they could be sent back to a country they have no knowledge of. Since this boy could not possibly have protested coming into the US illegally (he was only four years old) should the parents, instead be deported for actions *they* committed? The boy is, I think now 19 so he and his parents have been in the US for a lengthy period..

My question really is: What can the government do to rectify a policy that has the potential to severely punish the children of parents who stepped outside the law.. I think 15 years ago this issue was an insignificant one, nothing like the debate raging today when the US is in a fiscal crisis..

Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM

I don't believe living in Mexico is a severe punishment. It's his country. How does he know he will hate it there?

What if it was the reverse, say someone was born in the USA and grew up in Mexico. Is it really a severe punishment to be sent back home? It's not likely the parents never taught anything of their language so language shouldn't be a big issue. He's got to be familiar with the culture, he's bright enough and should do fine in any university.

I liked studying in Mexico so I can't be very sympathetic to a citizen of that country who would be so adamantly opposed to doing the same. I also think this kind of article creates some false illusion that there are no universities in Mexico and that living in his own country, there would be no hope for higher education of any kind and also implies that life in Mexico is horrible for everyone there. It's not so different than an American kid who had dreams of studying at Harvard but because of finances ends up having to study at a near by state university. Is that also severe punishment?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't believe living in Mexico is a severe punishment. It's his country. How does he know he will hate it there?
He was brought here by his family 15 years ago, according to the article. I presume his family is not being deported. If this teenager is deported, he will be ineligible to return to the U.S. for many years, making it impossible to visit his friends and family in the U.S. Maybe he is dating here, as well – what about that? It certainly is severe to uproot anyone, especially a teenager in the middle of a critical phase of his life, regardless of whether his presence here might be right or wrong. To dismiss his plight in an insensitive or callous manner would be a poor reflection of our humanity. How unfortunate that a person qualified for a Harvard education will be lost to our country.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
He was brought here by his family 15 years ago, according to the article. I presume his family is not being deported. If this teenager is deported, he will be ineligible to return to the U.S. for many years, making it impossible to visit his friends and family in the U.S. Maybe he is dating here, as well – what about that? It certainly is severe to uproot anyone, especially a teenager in the middle of a critical phase of his life, regardless of whether his presence here might be right or wrong. To dismiss his plight in an insensitive or callous manner would be a poor reflection of our humanity. How unfortunate that a person qualified for a Harvard education will be lost to our country.
Thanks, Stevenvillatoro for putting a human face on this situation!

HE did nor could NOT make the decision to become an 'illegal' and should not be punished for his parent's actions, regardless of whether he is now considered to be in the country illegally.

Perhaps the law should take this into account, that at a certain age (and based on the child's age when he came in) that if this person is a contributing. worthy, tax-paying member of society he will be granted a legal status and be *eligible* for citizenship. Different rules should likely be applied for an entire 'illegal' family with younger children who only recently entered the US illegally.

I think the particular age, family background and status of the child (and his family) should be the determining factors. And then, if the person or person(s) is granted some kind of legal status, then any appropriate fines should be applied.

I am really hopeful the US Congress will get to work on this soon.. It is a firestorm that's been waiting in the wings and is getting ready to explode. And Arizona has thrown fuel on the fire (for better or worse) - and other states are preparing to follow suit.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I liked studying in Mexico so I can't be very sympathetic...
You liked studying in Mexico because it was YOUR choice. Would you have been as happy studying/living/being in a place against your will?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 AM

771 posts, read 1,460,240 times
I know this is not the point of the OP, but with a Harvard education he could (financially) do really good in Mexico. Probably as good as in the US. I agree it would be a shame for the United States to lose someone with the smarts and mettle to get himself through Harvard. Again, I know this is not the point of the OP, nor has it anything to do with the immigration debate, just a random thought.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Children of the USA military are uprooted all the time. So are children of executives being transferred to another location. So are children of divorce and with the economy today, many families are reluctantly leaving their homes and relocating for jobs.

Many Americans dream of going to Harvard, all expenses paid but instead go to community college or a state university.

Life has to be a bowl of cherries only for illegals?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,770 times
He never should have made it to Harvard.

The US system failed, many times over, to recognize him as an illegal. He was given opportunities that should have gone to legal Americans. By the time he reached Harvard he had known for many years he was illegal, but apparently made no attempt to attain legal status.

Time to pay the piper.

His family, if they are illegal, should be deported too. However, realistically, this country affords special privileges to the rich and educated so he and his family will probably be offered legal status.

IMO, they should all be deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico