Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,905,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
He never should have made it to Harvard.

The US system failed, many times over, to recognize him as an illegal. He was given opportunities that should have gone to legal Americans. By the time he reached Harvard he had known for many years he was illegal, but apparently made no attempt to attain legal status.

Time to pay the piper.

His family, if they are illegal, should be deported too. However, realistically, this country affords special privileges to the rich and educated so he and his family will probably be offered legal status.

IMO, they should all be deported.
Exactly.

But even though a student is an illegal, we (USA) are forced to provide a free public education to all, regardless of status. Along the border (El Paso, etc), students from Mexico even walk across to attend US public schools every day.

That ruling (Plyler vs Doe) is very possibly one of the biggest mistakes they have ever made.

That's one of the reasons this student was able to get as far as he did. It is just absolutely wrong to provide scholarships to illegals that should have gone to Americans.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:06 AM

972 posts, read 3,930,186 times
This is an immigration subject, I dont know why is in the Mexico Forum....

Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,197,642 times
I know everyone - who is so inclined - seems to relish bashing hispanic 'illegals' given an opportunity. It almost seems to have become a spectator sport. (Interesting, the number of new posters who've suddenly appeared on the Mexico forum).

But one of my two points in posting the original article was to call attention to the desperate need for immigration reform -- not just, a "throw the bums out" approach; That it's essential this hot button issue get back on Congress' front burner in the interests of both the USA and Mexico!

As noted perviously, there was a time not that long ago when there was not so much attention paid to people crossing the border and then staying (probably around the time this boy came in). I suspect it was probably a time when this was an accepted and overlooked practice mainly because companies/corporations desperately needed low wage workers for farms, factories, fast food joints, etc. Maybe a time when the economy was doing great and well-paying upper-level jobs were plentiful so American workers had the option not to work in these low level, low-paying positions.. (When was NAFTA passed?)

Then, suddenly, the dot.com bubble bursts, there are two costly wars, bank bailouts, etc. - and the economy goes south - and with it unemployment levels become staggering. Good jobs, *any* jobs are scarce, people are scared so they look for a culprit. Voila! One guy thinks to himself, that Latino guy down the street has a job at the plant nursery but I've been out of work for 6 months and my family is suffering. Another sees a Latino family at a medical clinic getting care, perhaps on a sliding scale, and he thinks, oh boy, I just lost my good health insurance and these folks are getting benefits I should get! And so, he has a few discussions with friends in the same situation, and it mushrooms and subtly becomes a form of racism.
Unfortunately, this subtle form of racism has taken over the minds and actions of so many in the USA today.

And, since it's not so politically correct to target one's black president (although many do) or other *white* illegals from abroad, perhaps the focus turns to what some egregiously call the 'brown' people. And that, IMHO, is where we are now' and if our government doesn't recognize that they're sitting on a tinder keg, it's only going to get worse without substantial action on immigration reform.

PS You have to ask if this young man had been from England, France, Poland or Canada, if the reaction would have been the same.
reform.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times
I say that those from all coutnries here should be treated the same. The main problemis that by far the worse rpobelm is with mexiacn immagration. The past bill was target driect for them. The 80's bill which had amnesty was the answer and no further needs to be passed. the second part of securing our borders needs to be completed and any illegal deported, The real target here is his parents who put him in this sitaution, He also seems not to have applied altho he is apparently smart enought to do so. That he goes to harvardortunk tunk community college makes no difference really. In fact that he doe or doen't go to college or works a a bus boy doesn't . He is here illegally.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Then, suddenly, the dot.com bubble bursts, there are two costly wars, bank bailouts, etc. - and the economy goes south - and with it unemployment levels become staggering. Good jobs, *any* jobs are scarce, people are scared so they look for a culprit. Voila! One guy thinks to himself, that Latino guy down the street has a job at the plant nursery but I've been out of work for 6 months and my family is suffering. Another sees a Latino family at a medical clinic getting care, perhaps on a sliding scale, and he thinks, oh boy, I just lost my good health insurance and these folks are getting benefits I should get! And so, he has a few discussions with friends in the same situation, and it mushrooms and subtly becomes a form of racism.

Unfortunately, this subtle form of racism has taken over the minds and actions of so many in the USA today.
Thats the key, today in USA is perfectly fine to blame illegals of all the crisis and lack of jobs.

With the money that USA throws in wars, you can solve a lot of problems in that country.

Now is more easy be racist and ignorant. And that is the choose of the majority of the USA society.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,285,494 times
Some general points:

I disagree that the story cited demonstrates a "desperate need" for "reform". (Whatever that means. One person may consider reform to mean a path to citizenship while another might consider reform to mean stepping up enforcement.) This kind of story is extremely rare and not representative of typical immigration cases. There aren't many laws on the books that you couldn't find isolated examples where there should be an exception. The law is typically not designed to handle exceptional cases fairly.

The suggestions Sarah made regarding some provision for exception in cases where the person is a positive contributor are reasonable. The problem is in defining the criteria. No one will ever agree on it. No matter where you draw the line, someone will fall an inch on the wrong side and complain. This isn't even the kind of "reform" Congress is considering anyway.

I disagree with the concept that just because you get away with something for a long time that it should serve as a defense when you finally get caught. If I were to open a dental clinic without having a dentistry license, I would be shut down if caught. That I may have operated the clinic for 10 years, become wholly dependent on it for my livelihood, had many delighted customers, and never caused anyone harm would not matter.

The young man had to have knowingly lied on applications along the way. He knew his status, he knew the laws. Someone that bright would have qualified for a student visa. He was just so used to getting away with it he didn't want to bother righting the wrongs he knew existed.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 PM

469 posts, read 1,258,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Someone that bright would have qualified for a student visa. He was just so used to getting away with it he didn't want to bother righting the wrongs he knew existed.
Our immigration system generally does not allow one to 'right' an immigration wrong while still in-country.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
He was brought here through no fault of his own BUT he must have known that he wasn't born here and therefore was not a citizen. Didn't he ever see his own birth certificate? He isn't stupid if he got into Harvard so he must have known the requirements for becoming a US citizen. He could have begun the process toward citizenship.

He can't have a social security card unless he lied about his status in the US. I would also think that his college application would have asked his citizenship status.

He must have known he was not a citizen and that he was here illegally. And he could have done something to become legal. Maybe a good immigration lawyer could help him now?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM

186 posts, read 612,699 times
This isn't the immigration forum. Read the stickies.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM

To stop this non sense; The guy is not in jail, he has his student visa in his passport, he lost his passport, that's why he was detained by immigration officers.

Is incredible how you can make such long thread based in parcial information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico