Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times

Advertisements

State of Mexico police save thieves from being lynched
By: Francisco Parades | Source: Noticiero Televisa | 08/14/2010

Source: Televisa Newscasts
Mexico state police saved suspected thieves from being lynched by villagers from Tlachaloya in the municipality of Toluca

TOLUCA, Mexico, Aug 14, 2010 .- Five suspects were rescued by members of the State Security Agency, before they were lynched by hundreds of people in the community of Tlachaloya second section, in the municipality of Toluca.
They tried to steal a corner store and some homes, but were arrested and beaten by residents before they could commit the assault.
ASE elements of the rescue succeeded.
The suspected criminals were caught and beaten, they had to be treated by paramedics aboard the van while the state police protected them.
Following the refusal of the inhabitants Tlachaloya, to allow authorities to take the criminal suspects, an helicopter was requested.
Three were able to be transported by the aerial rescue group elements.
Soon after, another state police helicopter tried to move down the rest of the criminals, however, the inhabitants prevented them from doing so.
After three hours of negotiation, finally Tlachaloya inhabitants of the municipality of Toluca, allowed the removal of two other detainees to be sent to the Attorney General of the State of Mexico.

Policías mexiquenses salvan a ladrones de ser linchados :: Noticieros Televisa

I wonder why this happens near Mexico city but not in Juarez, I'm against people taking justice on their own hands, but perhaps that'd be the solution in CD Juarez, perhaps the reason why people don't do this is because common thugs are very different from the skilled and military trained personnel who works for the cartels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default We've seen what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I wonder why this happens near Mexico city but not in Juarez, I'm against people taking justice on their own hands, but perhaps that'd be the solution in CD Juarez, perhaps the reason why people don't do this is because common thugs are very different from the skilled and military trained personnel who works for the cartels.
Think Somalia, do you really want that in Mexico? No rules, no laws. Brutal. No one central authority, a free for all in barbarism, and survival.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Think Somalia, do you really want that in Mexico? No rules, no laws. Brutal. No one central authority, a free for all in barbarism, and survival.
Of course I don't want it, this happens in small towns only and if you read the article the police stopped them, I'm just saying that if people feels desperate cuz police isn't efficient will this be the wake up call for the government to get it's act right or not?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Or think Juarez.

I think the OP makes a good point - and I wonder why the authorities were suddenly so quick when it came to protecting the thugs but weren't there to stop the thugs in the first place.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM

I read something similar a few months ago with a kidnapping attempt in Puebla. The townspeople beat up the kidnappers and saved the would be victim. They didn't kill the kidnappers because the police managed to show up to save them. I think this is way the violent crime rate in Puebla is lower than in Juarez where no one ever sees anything, hears anything.

I would even say that it's the only way out of this situation in Juarez - the community has to come together in a real way to stop the thugs. Waiting for the police or federales isn't working.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Maybe it was this one:

Suspected kidnappers beaten by angry mob in Mexico | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com

The mayor of a Mexican town says he saved seven alleged kidnappers after they were brutally beaten by angry townspeople who accused them of trying to snatch a local man.

Note to self: Think twice before trying to carry out a kidnapping in Tlapanala, Puebla.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Of course I don't want it, this happens in small towns only and if you read the article the police stopped them, I'm just saying that if people feels desperate cuz police isn't efficient will this be the wake up call for the government to get it's act right or not?
I agree, however, it's sort of a Catch-22 with the police. Most police in Mexico are corrupt. What seperates good cops from bad is the degree of corruption. And of course, there are always good cops, but is not the norm for a veteran with many years on the force. Just like politicians, they fall into the game and play along once they see how lucrative it can become.

I think the police in this town were caught in a situation where too many eyes were watching; I honestly believe their motive to rescue the criminals was for their own welfare, not the criminals. They did not want to loose their jobs over something they are supposed to be doing to begin with.

As for vigilantism, I think it is the wrong thing to do, it could get worse.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:26 PM

186 posts, read 611,795 times
At this point I'm actually doubting whether this is bad or good.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
As someone who worked in Mexico the past four years(Director of Security, financial company), I can tell you that anything less than what these villagers did would not be unheard of. Across Mexico, every day, people are fed up with the drug violence, the kidnappings, the theft, the corruption, etc. This type of thing happens more than what the media reports. Also, in drug cases for example, many stories do not get published for fear of reprisal by the drug cartels. All I can say is, these people had, had enough.....right or wrong........

Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 PM

I don't see how it can be wrong for the people to take down the bad guys - the government isn't doing much about them.

In fact I think it's wrong to let the bad guys take control. It's wrong to allow rapists, sicarios, kidnappers, carjackers and so on to run all over the good people and hurt them. Too often it seems that everyone just hides - they will claim they never saw a thing, never heard a thing - and that's very wrong. And then they'll insist the the USA stole their country from them as they're hightailing it into the USA frightened to death of what their own country has become - only too willing to let the cartels and gangs steal what's left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico