Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times

Advertisements

My wife is from Mexico and we spend several weeks a year down there with her family. For the last couple of years I have contemplated picking up a cheap used car for taking excursions and getting around the city. I was wondering for people who have owned a vehicle in Mexico what I should be aware of as far as registration and insurance goes. If I buy, say a 1990's Vocho would I be required to have liability insurance? I most definitely wouldn't be interested in full collision insurance on a vehicle such as this. I've heard that insurance isn't required by law in Mexico as it is in the U.S. so it's likely I would just skip this altogether. I'd want to make sure my plates/registration were in order though. Any feedback/experience with this anybody can enlighten me on?

I understand I could get by just fine without a car and I'm not fully convinced this would be a worthwhile investment. I just happen to enjoy driving alot and would find it to be kind of a fun adventurous thing to try out. Nobody in my wife's immediate family owns a car and taking public transportation everywhere gets kind of old after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I was wondering for people who have owned a vehicle in Mexico what I should be aware of as far as registration and insurance goes. If I buy, say a 1990's Vocho would I be required to have liability insurance? I most definitely wouldn't be interested in full collision insurance on a vehicle such as this. I've heard that insurance isn't required by law in Mexico as it is in the U.S. so it's likely I would just skip this altogether. I'd want to make sure my plates/registration were in order though. Any feedback/experience with this anybody can enlighten me on?
Civil Responsibility Insurance is mandatory in all Mexico. Is not expensive and you must be more relaxed while driving in Mexico.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Civil Responsibility Insurance is mandatory in all Mexico. Is not expensive and you must be more relaxed while driving in Mexico.
Thanks, I'll make sure I look into getting the civil responsibility insurance if I pick up a car. So I'm guessing your reference to driving more relaxed in Mexico isn't referring to Mexico City driving? The only thing keeping people from driving crazy in my wife's hometown is that they installed speed bumps everywhere.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,739 times
Also, worst case scenario, IF you were in an accident and seriously injured someone - or they (the police) thought you did, it would NOT make sense NOT to have insurance. You could end up in a Mexican jail, which is not where I think you're wanting to go. Insurance is essential in Mexico - no driver's education courses here (as far as I know).. You just get a license and a car and off you go. These are the folks you'll often be confronting on Mexico's roads, those who seem to want to be matadors in their cars - and the other cars are the bulls! Sometimes I get crazed at how bad the drivers here are but then you just have to accept it and drive carefully and defensively.. It is what it is --- Mexico!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Well, the only thing making me question it's need is the fact that I'll only be driving for like 3-4 weeks/year. However, if I can find a short-term policy at a reasonable price I'll certainly jump on it. It sound like I've lined up a 1988 Vochito for areound 90,000 pesos. I'm pretty pumped! In the US these things are huge cult cars so having the opportunity to cruise around in one in Mexico is a dream of mine. Also, I think it's funny that all the fresas in Mexico won't be caught dead in a Vocho. That makes me want one even more!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 AM

254 posts, read 591,031 times
In Mexico you only require third party insurance... it should run around 30 dll per month if you get a full year contract, i'm not sure about temporary insurance but it should be possible...

However 90,000 pesos sounds like a lot for a vocho ... or did you mean 9000? I'm just saying, not even a new model (when they still existed) was sold for that much.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM

whoops, 9,000 pesos or about $722 USD.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Slig,

I was considering possibly having to purchase an auto when I was working there and would have, had my job been extended any longer.

But, from what I was told that if one buys a used car in Mexico, you cannot bring it back to the U.S... a new car yes, but a used car, no. I don't know if this is Mexico's or the U.S.' laws.

I was also told that to get a Mexico driver's license, all I had to do was to go to one of their licensing places and submit my Passport, along with my FM3 Visa, plus proof of residence, pay the fee and I would be given a Mexico driver's license. No driving written or road tests are given to anyone there!

Kinda explains what SarahSal was saying about their driving "methods". You best be moving out of everyone's way or you're toast! So, yep, be darn sure you get their auto insurance!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-15-2010 at 04:28 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks BstYet2Be, yeah I didn't really have any intention of taking it back to the U.S. (although cruising around Minnesota in a Mexico Vocho would be pretty funny). Since my wife's family lives in Mexico permanently I'll probably just park it at their place and let my father-in-law use it whenever we're not there. I wasn't really planning on going through the process of getting a Mexico driver's license since I'm only down there a few weeks out of the year. I'd definitely do that if I moved down there, which is a definite possibility somewhere down the line.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,194 times
If y'all want help with registering cars, the people at YES ([url=http://www.yucatanyes.com]Yucatan Expatriate Services[/url]), Yucatan Expatriate Services, do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico