Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times

Advertisements

Killing of ICE Agent Jamie Zapata Was Case of Mistaken Identity, Says Suspect - Fox News Latino

Proving once again, it takes no brains to be a thug. They can't read license plates.

Quote:
The suspected man responsible for killing U.S. immigration agent Jamie Zapata has allegedly confessed to Mexican authorities, but claims that the attack was a case of mistaken identity.

Suspect Julian Zapata Espinoza — known by the nickname "El Piolin," or Tweety Bird, apparently because of his short stature — told soldiers that a group of gunmen from the Zetas mistook the officer's vehicle for one used by a rival gang.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata was shot to death and fellow agent Victor Avila was wounded while driving on a highway near the northern city of San Luis Potosi on Feb. 15.

"That event occurred because of the characteristics of the vehicle, given that they (the suspects) thought it was being used by members of a rival criminal group," an army spokesman, Col. Ricardo Trevilla, said.

Quote:
The two agents were in a Chevrolet Suburban. Mexico's drug cartels frequently set up roadblocks and ambushes to steal large SUVs and pickups, vehicles they like to use.

I want to get rid of my gas guzzling Suburban. I wonder if a drug lord would be interested in buying it before it's stolen at a fake traffic stop?

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
I have zero confidence the case has been cracked and the reasons given are true. Suspects say a lot of things. Suspects never lie, do they? Perhaps it is as they claim, a case of simple mistaken identity. Perhaps not but they feel that they will be treated less harshly if they claim they meant to hurt other bad guys not the "good guys". Or perhaps they were ordered to make the hit from higher up but are covering for their bosses whom they fear far more than they fear the government. The state may not have the death penalty but the cartels do and their reach extends through prison walls.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I have zero confidence the case has been cracked and the reasons given are true. Suspects say a lot of things. Suspects never lie, do they? Perhaps it is as they claim, a case of simple mistaken identity. Perhaps not but they feel that they will be treated less harshly if they claim they meant to hurt other bad guys not the "good guys". Or perhaps they were ordered to make the hit from higher up but are covering for their bosses whom they fear far more than they fear the government. The state may not have the death penalty but the cartels do and their reach extends through prison walls.
All of Mexico doesn't have the death penalty.

Mexico needs to make a deal with Obama that it will pay to house its terrorist/gangsters at Guantanamo with the other terrorists. The MX prisoners can't escape and I bet that will cut back the retaliation against law enforcement. These cartels are terrorists not regular criminals and they should be treated as terrorists.

The ICE agents were followed for a long time and they had to know they were being followed. I'm betting that it was known that the Suburban had ICE agents and they were targeted. I don't understand the agents behavior.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,277 times
What I really don't understand is why the agents get out of their 5X Shield Protected Suburban to identify? If they have diplomatic license plates!

I don't know, but in Mexico must be a lot of CIA, NSA and FBI agents undercover with credentials of other agencies as ICE. So I guess they were targeted.

Now, I believe all the involved people with narcotic must be sentenced to death penalty, is unbelievable that they are captured and the authorities the first thing to do with them is negotiate to reduce penalties, they are Terrorists, assassins and must be treated like that, with no consideration in Mexico or USA.

Regards.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
What I really don't understand is why the agents get out of their 5X Shield Protected Suburban to identify? If they have diplomatic license plates!

I don't know, but in Mexico must be a lot of CIA, NSA and FBI agents undercover with credentials of other agencies as ICE. So I guess they were targeted.

Now, I believe all the involved people with narcotic must be sentenced to death penalty, is unbelievable that they are captured and the authorities the first thing to do with them is negotiate to reduce penalties, they are Terrorists, assassins and must be treated like that, with no consideration in Mexico or USA.

Regards.
I have my suspicions but I won't say what they are.

It's interesting that the US government has now decided to do something about some of the cartels operating on the USA side.

DEA, ICE and U.S. Marshals conducting operations in El Paso as authorities arrest 200 nationwide - El Paso Times

Apparently the killing of the agent upset someone at the top enough that the cartel is getting a little punished. This will teach them a lesson I suppose, but things will go back to normal for them, they'll have no problem getting shipments over the border and distributed to every city and town and rural area throughout the USA again, they just need to learn not to overstep like they did last week.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
All of Mexico doesn't have the death penalty.

Mexico needs to make a deal with Obama that it will pay to house its terrorist/gangsters at Guantanamo with the other terrorists. The MX prisoners can't escape and I bet that will cut back the retaliation against law enforcement. These cartels are terrorists not regular criminals and they should be treated as terrorists.

The ICE agents were followed for a long time and they had to know they were being followed. I'm betting that it was known that the Suburban had ICE agents and they were targeted. I don't understand the agents behavior.
I was using the term "state" as in "sovereign state" = "country".

Obama ordered Guantanamo closed.

Agree on the ICE agents.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
They didn't get out or there would be two dead agents. The driver rolled the window down slightly to talk to them, enough to stick an assault rifle in and fire off some shots before they took off.

I can't be too harsh on them though. Put yourself in their shoes. Are you absolutely sure the bullet proof windows and car armor will be effective? Do you know what it was designed to withstand? Do you know the caliber of weapons the bad guys have? Willing to bet your life on it? They were probably thinking it best to negotiate passage without shots being fired, and miscalculated.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
They didn't get out or there would be two dead agents. The driver rolled the window down slightly to talk to them, enough to stick an assault rifle in and fire off some shots before they took off.

I can't be too harsh on them though. Put yourself in their shoes. Are you absolutely sure the bullet proof windows and car armor will be effective? Do you know what it was designed to withstand? Do you know the caliber of weapons the bad guys have? Willing to bet your life on it? They were probably thinking it best to negotiate passage without shots being fired, and miscalculated.
They were trained agents, and must know what to do in cases like this.

They were under some kind of investigation otherwise they would fly from Mexico City to Monterrey as there are flights between 2 cities every hour.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have my suspicions but I won't say what they are.

It's interesting that the US government has now decided to do something about some of the cartels operating on the USA side.

DEA, ICE and U.S. Marshals conducting operations in El Paso as authorities arrest 200 nationwide - El Paso Times

Apparently the killing of the agent upset someone at the top enough that the cartel is getting a little punished. This will teach them a lesson I suppose, but things will go back to normal for them, they'll have no problem getting shipments over the border and distributed to every city and town and rural area throughout the USA again, they just need to learn not to overstep like they did last week.

Of course, this would be one corrective to show who's the boss, anyway the drugs will continue in USA.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Paranoia is a law enforcement officer's best friend. They didn't need to know anything about the bad guys except to keep moving, not stop, not socialize and never roll down the bullet proof glass. It was a stupid mistake and it got one killed and one injured.

I'll take a chance that the bullet proof glass can at least slow down a bullet rather than proving that no glass at all is certainly deadly. I didn't read that they had to stop or were in any way forced to communicate with the assailants. They made a rookie mistake or a mistake made by people on the job a long time who were never endangered before. I had a cop friend killed because in 20 years he had never been in harms way before and thought he could talk the situation down instead of shooting the guy. Unfortunately it's a job where you don't always get a second chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico