Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 8,005,672 times

Advertisements

Maybe the difference in lifestyle being cited in the above posts has more to do with class than the way Mexico's land is developed.

For example, I think the differences in American culture and how it's changed over the past 50+ years from more romanticized times of the past has more to do with the rise of the middle class VS the working class vast majority of the past than given credit. So somebody who is interested in urban development patterns might overly attribute such to the culture of the people, failing to realize middle-class Mexicans may very well behave much the same as middle-class and stereotypically suburban Americans.

That said, as far as sprawling Mexican suburbs, with Google Maps it would be easy to show us all in this thread what they look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,199,502 times
Inside pets.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,348,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Inside pets.

20yrsinBranson
Many Mexicans love their animals just like us Northerners do. Mexico is becoming a better place for animals and Mexicans have indoor dogs like we do. I do admit I hate the practice of "roof" dogs. I wish that would be outlawed because it's cruel. They also think tying a dog on a short lease is O.K. and the dog is tied like that permanently. In the U.S. the owner would get in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've only been to Southern Mexico, and there's a world of a difference between the cities there and the American cities that I have been to or seen. For one thing, Mexicans do not have much in the way of yards and homes are spaced close together. If they do have a yard, it is a "terrace" in the back. Generally speaking, only older sections of some American cities (and some housing projects and rare "new urbanism" developments) are like this; the usual American house has a front, back, right side, and left side yards. The cities are not broken up by limited-access highways as they are in the U.S., zoning is almost non-existent and one can run a shop or little restaurant from their home (try this in the U.S. and see how long it will last), and free parking is limited everywhere compared with most American cities (except in the densest parts). As a result of this, and lower car ownership (~90% of households in the U.S. vs <50% in Mexico), people actually walk places in Mexico or take public transportation, unlike the U.S., where most drive everywhere. I have seen pictures of cities along the U.S. - Mexico border, though, and they do look more sprawled out and sometimes similar to American cities and suburbs, especially the highway strips.
The annual water bill in Mexico, that is in most of Mexico (some places are modernizing with meters) is based upon green area not how many people live in a house or the sq. ft of a house. The smaller the yard, the smaller the water bill even if 10 people bath everyday and use a huge amount of water. That's the main reason people have small yards. Big deal, the way water is billed the average is about $150 MX ($10 USD) a year anyway.

Cars are expensive to operate and to buy a new one the interest rates are high. Insurance is also expensive on a Mexican plated vehicle. Many Mexicans simply can't afford the expense of an automobile. Gasoline here isn't that much less than in the U.S. but many times in the last few years, gas has been higher than the U.S.

I don't know how they make a living but most tiendas in are the front room of a house. The owner works about 12 hours a day and I think a successful tienda probably only brings in $500 USD profit a month. They work very hard for very little.

Yes, most small businesses are run in someone's home and that wouldn't fly in the U.S. but it sure does cut down on overhead.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,788,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Very accurate, in some years Mexico will be more americanized and USA will be more mexicanized.
You are absolutely correct.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:31 PM

305 posts, read 751,839 times
more common in mexico:

clowns, ice cream, neck braces...

Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

3,565 posts, read 8,005,672 times
While it may be true, I don't buy for a second that the way water is billed is why Mexicans don't waste land.

Not that I know the answer as to why, but land taxes are more likely the reason for small lots.

Anybody know how property taxes work in Mexico? Are home values assessed or is the rate based on the amount of land?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 9,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Things common in the US that are rare in Mexico, and vice versa

The most obvious thing, to me at least would be a good University Education, at least a Bachelors Degree.
Like others say Mexico has amazing college education. My husbands 2 nieces attend the University in Morelia and are very bright girls.

Well here is my take on this topic. I lived in Michoacan and briefly in Tijuana for 3 years off and on. My husband is from Mexico and has a house and a lot of property there. The things I found limited in Mexico that as from U.S couldn't get access to were:
*US style OTC meds. No matter how much tempra one can use or even tylenol, it is NOT the same tehre. Also cold and flu meds are just hard to find. Thier brands suck big time. Always take those whenever I go.

*Cheddar cheese, LOL, and let me add US style sausages and frozen foods.

*Deals on appliances. I always over pay for fans, heaters, tvs, irons, blow-dryers and toys. Even the Wal-Mart is over-priced there.

*Doctors. Now only in my experience, am sure bigger cities may differ. I took my kids to the pedia many times and they are really useless. However, they do prescribe ok meds.

Vice Versa
*Public transportation is by far above U.S. You can literally stand outside your street and a bus will come by shortly. No walking to a designated stop or having the bus drivers drive by you like in U.S. they will halt in middle of road for you, Love it!! Also the long distance bus system is the BEST. No greyhound style there. Comfy and cozy and always leaving and arriving. After taking the bus many times I despise Greyhound.

*Cheap convenience. I LOVE Mexico for this. Who needs a car? Everywhere there are vendors, produce, pan, action action. However, I hate thier siestas and wish they wouldn't close at my prime time of day, LOL

*Open door policy. I had to get use to this. Not knocking on one's door is not considered rude and anyone can come over anytime they want.

*As wrong as it is, I love the pirate movies, hehe

*So friendly. I think people are more friendly and neighborly than in U.S. They really care and help eachother out. IMO. Again maybe different in bigger cities. Even in Tijuana our neighbor was awesome. She was from Argentina.

*Movie theatres. Better in bigger cities as they have english versions if not know Spanish. Cheaper, even the concessions and if you are real lucky can go to the VIP ones and have a beer.

*Chinese food. I have tasted the best chinese food in Mexico. I think the reason is the owners come directly from China and have some traditional fare.

I can go on and on here and people will get bored, but I love Mexico and plan to move there when my children are grown. I have begged my husband to take me to Mexico City but he doesn't like big cities so I went to Guadalajara a lot. But I want to go to Mexico City so bad. Mexico still has a lot of catching up to do but what surprised me is how self sufficient everyone can be. I know a lot of single women there who don't make too much money but they have better clothes than me and better stuff. For some reason everyone gets by on thier small incomes.

Last edited by MJ1980; 12-01-2011 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: wrote it wrong

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 9,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
While it may be true, I don't buy for a second that the way water is billed is why Mexicans don't waste land.

Not that I know the answer as to why, but land taxes are more likely the reason for small lots.

Anybody know how property taxes work in Mexico? Are home values assessed or is the rate based on the amount of land?
I think it depends where you live. My husband does not pay any property taxes on his house, but does pay for his ranch lots. He has 10 lots on communal ranch for his area and pays around 4000 pesos a year for this. Is good cause they help a lot. However where my husband lives(Michoacan) is very small and thier city council people are very straight for farmers. Have heard it can be completely different in other areas.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Hep. A can lead to death. The mortality rate rises with age. But people do die from it. And if they don't die from it their immune systems are compromised, and other opportunistic infections may follow.
People die from everything. People die from kitty litter. "Idiopathic" is a medical term for the thousands of people who die for no discernible cause at all.

For Hepatits-A, the mortality rate is 4 per 1,000 cases. For persons over 50, it is 17 per 1,000, so if you plan to keep traveling. get it while you're young, you'll be immune to it for the rest of your life.

It's a childhood disease in developing countries, where every child gets it, gets over it, and gets on with their lives with no effect on their immune system, except that they become immune to getting it again. Which is why the only adults who get Hep-A in the third world are western travelers. Every American my age has had measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough. Our immune systems are all just fine.

If you think four chances out of a thousand is too high a risk, then stay home, where you're at even greater risk of being killed in a traffic accident on the way to the mall.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-01-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,348,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

Nobody said Mexicans have small lots not to waste land. Most Mexicans are very frugal and having a large garden is a waste of money in labor and the water bill.

Property taxes are low. I'll state this in dollars instead of pesos, on a million U.S. dollar house the annual property tax is about $1000. On a typical $100,000 USD house the property tax is about $100 USD.

People do not have small lots because of property taxes.

Mexico Taxes - Real Estate Taxes in Mexico
Quote:
Improved property is actually taxed less than vacant land. The mexican government maintains a philosophy of keeping yearly “prediales” (property taxes) at a low rate to encourage home ownership and improvements that will be taxed at the time of sale. For a $250,000.00 home, annual taxes will typically not exceed $150.00 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico