Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,886 times

Advertisements

How much culturally different and similar are these two countries? Would the differences outweigh the similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Differences would absolutely outweigh the similarities. There isn't any way at all in which Mexico is more similar to the USA than any other Latin American country is. Mexico is much more like Chile or Peru, than it is like the USA.

Baseball is probably the only thing American that is more common in Mexico than it is in South America.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,599,248 times
I would have to say that in general the differences outweigh the similarities. However, the USA has now surpassed Spain as the 2nd largest Spanish speaking nation on earth (behind only Mexico).

Although a large percentage of the USA is now latino, the USA will always have cultural diversity that Mexico will never have. There is no way that Mexico can make up for 2 centuries of immigration from all around the world. On the other hand, the cultural effects of the indigenous population of Mexico cannot be reproduced in the USA.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,343,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Differences would absolutely outweigh the similarities. There isn't any way at all in which Mexico is more similar to the USA than any other Latin American country is. Mexico is much more like Chile or Peru, than it is like the USA.

Baseball is probably the only thing American that is more common in Mexico than it is in South America.
I don't know about that, I look around and see Home Depot, Walmart, Sam's, Costco, Applebees, Chilies, Friday's, Office Depot, Krispy Kreme and dozens of other USA companies so it looks a lot like the USA to me.

It is different in that Mexico doesn't allow religion to be mentioned in politics, law or campaigns so no Bible Thumpers allowed. The Church is not allowed to be involved in politics nor any religion taught in schools.

It is more of a live and let live environment. Maybe someday the U.S. will progress to a Mexican standard.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,840,228 times
My wife and I had a " Cannot believe this!" moment on a trip to Puerto Penasco. The fisherman of the town were protesting something, and they had gathered on the main highway right outside of town to protest. They had strung bailing twine across the highway, and had everyone stopped, going in and out of town. We were amazed that the citizens respected the fisherman's plight, and didn't just simply run through the twine. However, after about 2 hours of sitting, someone took some fence down in an adjacent pasture, and people were going through the empty lot, bypassing the protesters. I would imagine in the US, after about 15 minutes the police would have broken everything up, and dispersed the crowd. In all instances we found on trips there that the individual's rights were always respected. But don't break the law. Napoleanic justice is a lot different than U. S. justice

Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,501,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
In all instances we found on trips there that the individual's rights were always respected.
Hardly. Hardly respect for "individual rights" in much, maybe most of Mexico. If there were such respect you wouldn't have one group interferring with the rights of tens, hundreds and thousands of others who aren't involved in a particular dispute.

I understand why poor people prostest as they do in many parts of Mexico. Why they block highways. They believe nobody in power, none of the government officials/employees respect their viewpoints and/or complaints. So, the only way they get attention is through disruption. If it's not a highway it's a town's square. Oaxaca city is one good example of that continual, annual disruption in the Zocalo. Mexico City has hundreds of such disruptions annually. Sometimes five or six in just one day.

Selfishness ... getting what you want and telling the rest to go to h-e-l-l ... is the norm. And I understand that attitude as well. It's just something expats have to get accustomed to when spending time/living in Mexico. You don't have to like it. But the quicker one accepts it the easier it will be to live/travel in the country.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Hardly. Hardly respect for "individual rights" in much, maybe most of Mexico. If there were such respect you wouldn't have one group interferring with the rights of tens, hundreds and thousands of others who aren't involved in a particular dispute.

I understand why poor people prostest as they do in many parts of Mexico. Why they block highways. They believe nobody in power, none of the government officials/employees respect their viewpoints and/or complaints. So, the only way they get attention is through disruption. If it's not a highway it's a town's square. Oaxaca city is one good example of that continual, annual disruption in the Zocalo. Mexico City has hundreds of such disruptions annually. Sometimes five or six in just one day.

Selfishness ... getting what you want and telling the rest to go to h-e-l-l ... is the norm. And I understand that attitude as well. It's just something expats have to get accustomed to when spending time/living in Mexico. You don't have to like it. But the quicker one accepts it the easier it will be to live/travel in the country.
Where on Earth do you always get this negative stuff about Mexico? Mexico is very tolerate of demonstrations. It is much more empathetic for the poor than up North. President Calderon expanded Seguro Popular trying to cover all residents of Mexico and attempting to make sure the very poorest have medical coverage. The new immigration law made illegal immigration a civil not criminal offense and makes it possible for illegal children to go to school. There are many other protections in the law for the illegals coming over the Southern border.

Mexico doesn't have a lot, not the wealth of the USA, but it tries to help the people who live in Mexico. The same cannot be said of the U.S.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Mexico is definitely Latin American, and is much closer to being like Colombia, than like the USA. There is a little more spillover of American culture into Mexico just because it shares a border, but all countries of Latin America are very much alike (except for economic development), relative to the USA.. American films and TV and music have about the same level of popularity in all Latin countries, no more nor less so in Mexico. In fact, because the Mexican music industry is so well developed, you will hear less American music in Mexico than most of the countries further south.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,321,642 times
Default With all due respect, sincerely

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Where on Earth do you always get this negative stuff about Mexico? Mexico is very tolerate of demonstrations. It is much more empathetic for the poor than up North. President Calderon expanded Seguro Popular trying to cover all residents of Mexico and attempting to make sure the very poorest have medical coverage. The new immigration law made illegal immigration a civil not criminal offense and makes it possible for illegal children to go to school. There are many other protections in the law for the illegals coming over the Southern border.

Mexico doesn't have a lot, not the wealth of the USA, but it tries to help the people who live in Mexico. The same cannot be said of the U.S.
Maybe the U.S. does not specifically help the people who live in Mexico but I assure you that anyone from Mexico who comes to the U.S. (documented or otherwise) certainly benefits from the generosity of the U.S.

Now if you are making reference to the fact that the U.S. does not help its own citizens in the same manner as it does the citizens from Mexico...you may have a point there.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Maybe the U.S. does not specifically help the people who live in Mexico but I assure you that anyone from Mexico who comes to the U.S. (documented or otherwise) certainly benefits from the generosity of the U.S.

Now if you are making reference to the fact that the U.S. does not help its own citizens in the same manner as it does the citizens from Mexico...you may have a point there.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
I think what I wrote is very clear that Mexico is more tolerant and supporting of its own residents and did not write anything about illegals entering the U.S.

Anyone in the U.S. who is legal is allowed legal benefits. Why people think legal Mexican citizens in the U.S. might receive benefits is a big deal, I don't get. Would it bother you if legal Canadian citizens in the U.S. received some benefits? I think it is only the Latinos receiving any benefit that bothers people.

Illegals from any country in the U.S. cannot receive federal benefits. Illegals can get medical care for free and that expense is passed on to those who can pay, but that is local and not a designed benefit. In Mexico, illegals are protected in federal law and given federal healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico