Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,819,071 times

Advertisements

This place has completely lost it's allure.
No way on earth I'd ever go back. E V E R .
...and I've spent thousands there over the years. Simply cannot risk getting killed over a simple vacation.
I'll take my money elsewhere.
Downhill from here.
Former Mexican mayor found beaten to death | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,343,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
This place has completely lost it's allure.
No way on earth I'd ever go back. E V E R .
...and I've spent thousands there over the years. Simply cannot risk getting killed over a simple vacation.
I'll take my money elsewhere.
Downhill from here.
Former Mexican mayor found beaten to death | Fox News

Read my thread about the new immigration rules and add the violence and police corruption. One poster thinks retirees will ignore it all and retire and buy property in Mexico anyway. If they do, they will be the rare seniors who do not care about their safety and I've never met any.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM

There are sooooo many other viable options.
Why on earth would a person move there.
It's hell on earth.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
There are sooooo many other viable options.
Why on earth would a person move there.
It's hell on earth.
I've lived in Mexico for over 7 years and I haven't had any security problems but they are always a concern to us. Now with the financial rules changes, most people are looking at other countries. We don't need Mexico. Mexico gets our money, billions of dollars a year, and then pulls the rug out from under us. There are other countries that are safer and want us. We can pack up and go to where we are appreciated.

Mexico has thousands of seniors who live here full time, employ thousands, pay taxes, spend billions a year and don't cost Mexico a peso or cause Mexico any problems and it kicks us in the behind. Heck with it. I wonder how the few remaining foreigners will manage to pay all the bribe money the traffic cops expect to supplement their incomes?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 AM

305 posts, read 750,630 times
You're more likely to be killed in your hometown than on vacation in Mexico. Get a clue.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
You're more likely to be killed in your hometown than on vacation in Mexico. Get a clue.
True, foreigners not involved with the cartels are not targets but there have been a few, very few, mistakenly killed. My point is seniors read about violence and it scares them and they will look for less violent countries.

It is rare indeed for a vacationer to be attacked and it seems to only happen to Canadians.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Now with the financial rules changes, most people are looking at other countries.
To descrlibe your comment as an exaggeration would be an understatement.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
Well Einstein, I do have a clue.
I have a clue that I don't wanna go to a country where more than 50 thousand people have been killed in 5 years due to drug gangs.
Natives or not...they're still D E A D .

The next bullet might hit me.
So--yeah--I think you should get a clue and move out while you can.

At least not EVERY cop here in the USA is on the take.
Duh.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM

10 posts, read 16,663 times
Quote:
Well Einstein, I do have a clue.
I have a clue that I don't wanna go to a country where more than 50 thousand people have been killed in 5 years due to drug gangs.
Natives or not...they're still D E A D .

The next bullet might hit me.
So--yeah--I think you should get a clue and move out while you can.
Many areas of Mexico are quite safe. According to The Economist, A third of Mexico has a lower murder rate than Louisiana, America’s most murderous state. Mexico City also has a significantly lower murder rate than Washington, DC (where I live). The gang violence is terrible, but things will improve, and it is not everywhere now.

Here is an interactive map from The Economist showing how the murder rates in all Mexican states compare to other countries:
Comparing Mexican states with equivalent countries: Murderous matches | The Economist

Mexico is a big and beautiful country, don't write it all off!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosemani View Post

Mexico is a big and beautiful country, don't write it all off!
Agreed, it is.
I absolutely LOVED all the memories I have from years and years of going there.
However, I simply cannot justify taking my wife to a place where Walter McKay, a Mexico City-based security consultant, maintains the website policereform.org, which tracks narco-related killings in Mexico says:
"Generally, it's getting worse. There was a very high increase in narco-related violence due to organized crime and this drug war that [President Felipe] Calderon launched in December 2006. It spiked exponentially in 2010 and 2011. In 2007, it was an average of nine or ten people per day and last year it's up to 51 people killed each day. It's about as violent as it can get. When that many people get killed in horrific manners — decapitation, burning, bodies dissolved in acid — you can't get much worse than that.

PLACES TO AVOIDMexico's trouble zones
The violence has now spread out from Ciudad Juarez as the cartels fight for different areas. The declining violence in Ciudad Juarez is because one side is winning. I think, what you are seeing is the dominance of one gang taking over because you've got more members on the same team now.

Other areas — *Culiacan, Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco *— are starting to heat up. These are now battlefronts.

In 2010 there were some 15,000 execution-style murders. This year it's 18,600 so it's worse than last year.

No need to go.
It's a war zone.
NOTHING ---N O T H I N G like that is going on here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico