Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,054 times

Advertisements

Only North American middle class to grow in last 30 years was Mexico’s | The Raw Story

Quote:
Only Mexico’s middle class has grown over the past 30 years in North America, while income disparity has increased in Canada and the United States, according to a study here out Tuesday.

“Mexico’s middle class has benefited from urbanization, greater female employment, improved education and better social programs,” said economist Lars Osberg, the author of the report by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times
Growth of the middle class is pretty typical of a developing country, so I'm not surprised. Since Canada and the United States are more developed, I think this makes sense.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Growth of the middle class is pretty typical of a developing country, so I'm not surprised. Since Canada and the United States are more developed, I think this makes sense.
Middle class growth has stagnated in the U.S. and the wealthy class has grown because it's economic policies.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Mexico's large impoverished class relocated to the USA. Much of the poverty in the USA is imported poverty and the Mexican diaspora population outnumbers both black and white Americans in many parts of the USA.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexico's large impoverished class relocated to the USA. Much of the poverty in the USA is imported poverty and the Mexican diaspora population outnumbers both black and white Americans in many parts of the USA.

Exactly. As much as one particularly delusional poster would like to pretend otherwise, we both know whose footing the bill for the millions of impoverished mexicans that have invaded the US.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,847 times
Quote:
I read about 10 years ago that Mexico had a 40% poverty rate. That's roughly 40 million people so safe to say not all of Mexico's impoverished moved here. And while there are certainly Mexican's in the U.S. gaming the system the majority are here doing work most Americans won't do. Having smelled a feedlot wiith 37,000 head of cattle after a rain I can confidently say most Americans aren't going to fight over open jobs there. Same goes for picking crops in 95 degree humid heat. Keep in mind that not all illegals are Mexican either.

And while Mexico's middle class grew I'm betting what constitutes middle class in Mexico isn't the same as the States. Probably closer to working class American in lifestyle. Income disparity is much greater in Mexico than the U.S..

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
How does that create a thriving and growing middle class in Mexico? How can all the poor in any country leaving it create more wealth in the country they left?

If the all of the poor in Mexico left Mexico that leaves few people for richer people to exploit. That doesn't create a middle class. A middle class is created by all the people below the filthy rich having an opportunity to make money, they spend it and more jobs are created.

Remember that the next time you hear Republicans say, "We represent the job creators." Job creators are consumers who have money to spend. Businesses in order to get that money and to keep customers hire more employees to meet demand. Businesses do not say, "I'm not hiring anyone until I get a tax break, or fewer regulations, or I don't have to pay for health insurance." They hire because they have the business and want to keep customers.

Mexico is doing well because it didn't get burned by the U.S. unregulated financial market. It didn't buy derivatives. No Mexican bank was invested in the U.S. mortgage fiasco.

Consumers are job creators and the middle class is the greatest consumer.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I read about 10 years ago that Mexico had a 40% poverty rate. That's roughly 40 million people so safe to say not all of Mexico's impoverished moved here. And while there are certainly Mexican's in the U.S. gaming the system the majority are here doing work most Americans won't do. Having smelled a feedlot wiith 37,000 head of cattle after a rain I can confidently say most Americans aren't going to fight over open jobs there. Same goes for picking crops in 95 degree humid heat. Keep in mind that not all illegals are Mexican either.

And while Mexico's middle class grew I'm betting what constitutes middle class in Mexico isn't the same as the States. Probably closer to working class American in lifestyle. Income disparity is much greater in Mexico than the U.S..
A decade ago is a long time in Mexico's economics. The salary in Mexico to be middle class is smaller than a U.S. middle class but the cost of living is less in Mexico. Many of the Mexican middle class send their kids to private schools where the students are required to speak English all or part of the day. The Roosevelt School in Ajijic requires English all day. Tuition to a private K-12 school is cheap by U.S. standards at $3000 USD a year.

Mexico’s middle class is becoming its majority - The Washington Post

Quote:
The exact size and shape of this new class of home buyer is hard to measure. Counting the middle class in Mexico (pop. 114 million) is not a straightforward calculation as it is in the United States, where a 1040 tax return and a Zip code define who’s who on the economic scale.
Quote:
In the developing world, in countries such as India, China and Mexico, scholars argue, the middle class can be defined by what its members consume, and so a Mexican homeowning household with a new refrigerator, a car and a couple of cellphones is considered middle-class — even if the combined salaries of the members of the household would make them miserably poor in Washington.
Quote:
Smaller families are a hallmark of the growing middle class. In 1960, Mexico’s fertility rate was 7.3 children per woman, according to World Bank figures. Today, it’s 2.3, slightly above the U.S. rate of 2.1.
Quote:
Since 1980, the number of Mexicans receiving a university education has tripled, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Private for-profit universities, with relatively affordable tuitions, are flourishing, such as TecMilenio, with 40 campuses across Mexico, that offer students the option of taking classes via the Internet.
Quote:
It’s a path paved with plastic for more and more Mexicans. The number of credit cards in circulation nearly quadrupled between 2002 and 2009, according to Mexico’s Central Bank, but debt leaves many Mexicans sensing that their foothold in the middle class is slippery.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Exactly. As much as one particularly delusional poster would like to pretend otherwise, we both know whose footing the bill for the millions of impoverished mexicans that have invaded the US.
Not you. People who pay high taxes know how to capitalize.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:16 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
A decade ago is a long time in Mexico's economics. The salary in Mexico to be middle class is smaller than a U.S. middle class but the cost of living is less in Mexico. Many of the Mexican middle class send their kids to private schools where the students are required to speak English all or part of the day. The Roosevelt School in Ajijic requires English all day. Tuition to a private K-12 school is cheap by U.S. standards at $3000 USD a year.

Mexico’s middle class is becoming its majority - The Washington Post
My point is that in the last decade the Hispanic population boomed in the U.S. but with roughly 40 million in poverty in Mexico it's not correct to say that Mexico sent all of it's impoverished to the U.S. as was suggested. And while the middle class population grew(and great that it did), I think your quotes make my case that what constitutes middle class in Mexico isn't quite the same. Hopefully someday it will and the proportion of the population that is middle class is at least the same if not greater than the U.S.. But highly unlikely as Mexico is competing in a world market that's highly competitive as opposed to the U.S. after WWII being the only intact industrial power which gave us a competitive advantage for decades. The world has caught up, and our middle class is shrinking as a result. Looking for someone to blame, as often happens on these forums, is just a knee jerk reaction to forces beyond our control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico