Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

Oh one other thing that was an annoyance I thought I did get. That was the "Gringo, wait - Mexicans first." Seemed like several times in several places people thought nothing of butting in front of me and the counter help were only too happy to look right through me to help the "other" person.
Different cultures have different "queueing rules", just as they have different cultural rules for things like personal space of gift reciprocity. If you are going to travel, it would be a good idea to pay attention to them and learn what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 AM

376 posts, read 652,897 times
Default Most of the rest of the world does queu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Different cultures have different "queueing rules", just as they have different cultural rules for things like personal space of gift reciprocity. If you are going to travel, it would be a good idea to pay attention to them and learn what they are.
I just had a run-in with a guy in Greece that I threatened to kick his ass over this issue about 2 weeks ago. i noticed this is also prevalent in Italy and also some places in Asia as well. Very aggravating

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
My wife and I decided to try a bed-and-breakfast in Banamichi we had seen advertised online. She was terrified that we were going to get bushwhacked all the way, but it was actually fairly mundane aside from the sights. The people that we met were friendly, and very helpful considering my knowledge ( lack of) Spanish. We came through Nogales, then turned east in the town of Magdalene. Two hours later we ended up on the Ruta de Sonora, and on to Banamichi. I like new sights, and have always been one for adventure, so it was fun for me. The roads through the mountains weren't any worse than some I have traveled in the US, but be sure to have a full tank of gas if you try it. Not to sound like an advertiser, but the B&B was very nice, and the owners Tom, and Lynn were very personable. The towns heading toward Hermosillio all have very old churches that are really interesting to look at. If anyone reading this ever makes it to Banamichi, make your first meal at Martines taco shop. The very best! In reality, the only thing that sours me from taking another trip down there is the fact the Mexican Gov. had raised the vehicle import fee to an absurd level.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 AM

305 posts, read 750,422 times
Quote:
It's not a "queueing rule", it's a jerk thing to do. For whatever reason it happened like 3 times to me the first few months I was in Mexico, then hasn't happened again the last two + years. I asked local friends and they said it was just a jerk thing to do.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
In reality, the only thing that sours me from taking another trip down there is the fact the Mexican Gov. had raised the vehicle import fee to an absurd level.

When did they raise it, and what is the new fee?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,054 times
Quote:
When did they raise it, and what is the new fee?
With the new immigration rules you will also have to prove income. For a 30 day FMM, the tourist visa, you will need to show 6 months of bank statements.

For a 180 day you might need to prove more income.

You need to pay a deposit of $200-$400 to drive into Mexico. The deposit is based on the year of the vehicle, $200, $300, $400 refundable if you leave before your permission expires.

It has gotten ridiculous and Mexico will lose tourists and expats.

Look for the 30 days and the 180 day visas. The demands will cool any desire to visit Mexico:

http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?c...cha=08/11/2012

Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
For some people who have read my many posts understand I've been living in Mexico a looooooong time....Mexico City and here in Baja.

For the time I've been here my Spanish is passible considering the time/yrs factor. I do dress and look American so when asking a price in English will at times get the "got me a good one here look"....whereapon will surprise them with a followup in Spanish that makes me sound like a native Mexicano.

Did shop at a local Commercial Mexicana grocery chain store and when at the meat dept waiting my turn the guy working saw me and still helped a Mexican woman that cut in front of me and he completly ignored that I had waited patiently....don't shop there anymore.

They can be A** ***** and I have no sympathy if they lose business.

As for other parts of Mexico I have been to many other cities and generally find a majority to be a very pleasant experience.

On a score basis would give a (8) on a (10) scale thruout Mexico.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
I prefer to think of the so-called negative aspects (to outsiders) about Mexico as opportunities to hone your adaptability skills and patience. Here are a few of the things where I had to call on my sense of flexibility and patience every day: Stores/vendors not having adequate change, graffiti, litter, crowded buses, seemingly no law & order when driving even in mind-boggling bumper to bumper traffic, very different style of "customer service" (don't expect a lot of smiles and fake niceties), stray dogs, sewer smells, and what seemed to me a general lack of concern about the environment (all too often I saw the ravines in Mexico City flowing with green or bright red run-off from some factory).

Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post

You need to pay a deposit of $200-$400 to drive into Mexico. The deposit is based on the year of the vehicle, $200, $300, $400 refundable if you leave before your permission expires.
Those aduana deposits have always been required. On many cars, they are ignored, and are apparently at the discretion of the customs officer when entering the car. I've never been charged a deposit but I drive older cars. Last I heard, the actual non-refundable fee for a visitor permit for a car is about $70.

It is possible that Mexico has decided to impose a "reciprocal" border fee on Americans entering the country. Paraguay and Bolivia are now charging Americans $100 for a single-entry 30-day visa, because that's what Americans charge their citizens for a visa to visit the USA. Most other nationalities get in free, with no visa. As usual, expect the US government to do absolutely nothing to alleviate any hardship as a consequence of US government actions.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,054 times
Quote:
Those aduana deposits have always been required. On many cars, they are ignored, and are apparently at the discretion of the customs officer when entering the car. I've never been charged a deposit but I drive older cars. Last I heard, the actual non-refundable fee for a visitor permit for a car is about $70.

It is possible that Mexico has decided to impose a "reciprocal" border fee on Americans entering the country. Paraguay and Bolivia are now charging Americans $100 for a single-entry 30-day visa, because that's what Americans charge their citizens for a visa to visit the USA. Most other nationalities get in free, with no visa. As usual, expect the US government to do absolutely nothing to alleviate any hardship as a consequence of US government actions.
Last year they started charging the credit card or debit card and you have to turn the sticker in and wait for a refund on your card. Some get it within days and some can take months.

The new amounts are strictly enforced now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico