Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Mexico underrated
No 27 36.99%
Yes 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,076,543 times

Advertisements

Mexico has good boxers, a good soccer team, good food, underrated women, and a emerging economy that might surpass Spain.

I think so.Give me your opinions and thoughts, and dont forget to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
I'm flying to Cancun in two weeks. I wouldn't choose Maxico for vacationing if I underrated it, but it's true it is underrated because of the narco war, many people fear going to Mexico.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
I feel the opposite; I think the place is overrated.

But I think the nature of Mexico is underrated.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Speaking of Mexico in the American mindset --there's a lot of places in Mexico that seem underrated(or not really known) for many Americans who might visit. Beautiful places like Guanajuato which look like Spain practically or any of the highland colonial cities ranging from Zacatecas to Morelia all the way to the south in Oaxaca and San Cristobal de Las Casas. There's a whole world of interesting places that aren't considered mainstream tourist destinations for most Americans--and I'm glad they don't overcrowd those spots. Even Mexico City and Guadalajara are underrated, especially DF which is one of the great cities of Latin America and has a ton of attractions to see that are worth a trip. For most Americans the thought of Mexico City just conjurs up images of crowded slums suffocating under smog. They mostly have no idea that a neighborhood like Coyoacan or Condesa or Roma or even the grandeur of the buildings around the Zocalo.

I'd say though the famous beaches of Mexico are overrated or rated just where they should be, considering the popularity of Cancun and Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas with foreign tourists. I think most Americans don't really know much about Mexico beyond the tourist beach resorts and the sleaze and crime of the border towns. There are those who are knowledgable and well-travelled with the region--though it's a minority.

Most Americans don't really understand that Mexico isn't just poverty as well--that there's a rising middle-class and a wealthy elite that lives a luxurious lifestyle that's on display in rich neighborhoods. While the whole cultural vitality of DF is often ignored as well--the Mexican film industry has made some inroads recently with the success of Mexican directors leading to gigs directing Hollywood films.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Speaking of Mexico in the American mindset --there's a lot of places in Mexico that seem underrated(or not really known) for many Americans who might visit. Beautiful places like Guanajuato which look like Spain practically or any of the highland colonial cities ranging from Zacatecas to Morelia all the way to the south in Oaxaca and San Cristobal de Las Casas. There's a whole world of interesting places that aren't considered mainstream tourist destinations for most Americans--and I'm glad they don't overcrowd those spots. Even Mexico City and Guadalajara are underrated, especially DF which is one of the great cities of Latin America and has a ton of attractions to see that are worth a trip. For most Americans the thought of Mexico City just conjurs up images of crowded slums suffocating under smog. They mostly have no idea that a neighborhood like Coyoacan or Condesa or Roma or even the grandeur of the buildings around the Zocalo.

I'd say though the famous beaches of Mexico are overrated or rated just where they should be, considering the popularity of Cancun and Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas with foreign tourists. I think most Americans don't really know much about Mexico beyond the tourist beach resorts and the sleaze and crime of the border towns. There are those who are knowledgable and well-travelled with the region--though it's a minority.

Most Americans don't really understand that Mexico isn't just poverty as well--that there's a rising middle-class and a wealthy elite that lives a luxurious lifestyle that's on display in rich neighborhoods. While the whole cultural vitality of DF is often ignored as well--the Mexican film industry has made some inroads recently with the success of Mexican directors leading to gigs directing Hollywood films.
Great summary. Mexico is seen as a third world country even when compared to other countries that have a lower Human Development Index than Mexico like China, Brazil, and Russia because of stereotypes, Hollywood, and the media's focus on drug related crime. In reality Mexico's economy is growing pretty fast and has a lower crime index than the good old USA. And yes Mexico will surpass Spains economy soon. In fact by 2050 it will surpass Australia, Spain, Canada, Italy, and Russia to be the 8th biggest economy. Cancun and other beach resorts are overrated. Overall though Mexico is underrated in pretty much everything else.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Mexico has good boxers, a good soccer team, good food, underrated women, and a emerging economy that might surpass Spain.

I think so.Give me your opinions and thoughts, and dont forget to vote.
What about the men? Why is it always about the women?
"Boxers"? Who cares about boxers? Mexico is very rich in cultural heritage, history, archaeology, and scenery. One reason it's underrated, aside from the crime, is that it can't seem to get its economic development together. It's a little over-dependent on tourism, so when the global economy tanks, Mexico loses.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Most Americans know Mexico only as a place to lay on the beach and get drunk, so in that respect I would say it is underrated. The interior of Mexico is still visited only sparsely by Anglo tourists, even though it exceeds the U.S. in cultural vibrancy. Most Americans of a certain class prefer to go to Europe for culture, history, architecture, food, etc., but Mexico is far cheaper (and used to be a bargain from almost anywhere before airfares went up). I assume this is because of legitimate safety concerns, as well as the fact that coastal resort cities cater better to English-speaking tourists than even relatively well-equipped inland attractions. For example, I once suggested Chiapas to a girl from my school who had been to different Mexican beach resorts several times. She asked what would be a good all-inclusive resort or something there (!), and another girl warned her from ever going there due to the "violence".

Last edited by tvdxer; 01-17-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Boxers"? Who cares about boxers? Mexico is very rich in cultural heritage, history, archaeology, and scenery. One reason it's underrated, aside from the crime, is that it can't seem to get its economic development together. It's a little over-dependent on tourism, so when the global economy tanks, Mexico loses.
The country has produced several very attractive female celebrities (e.g. Salma Hayek, Paulina Rubio, etc.), and the Spanish (not necessarily Mexican, though) variety shows feature pretty, scantily-clad women, not to mention the "spicy Latina" stereotype, while it has not produced many males of the same caliber and international renown. In reality, your average Mexican young woman is no more physically attractive than an American woman of the same age, but Mexican girls do seem to have a charm about them that is lacking in most American girls.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
HDI is a subjective BS measurement. You are talking about a measurement that places Saudi Arabia at 56th and Cuba at 51st.

I state Mexico is overrated and a few of these posts show why; everyone thinks it will be something some day (even today), and oh how wonderful it will be. The hype gets old when it is year after year, decade after decade.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM

836 posts, read 2,949,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Mexico's economy is not dependent on tourism, it is only one part of the economy.

Mexico's main industry is oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico