Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM

18 posts, read 65,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband has just had a job offer at Fox Studios in Rosarito, it will mean leaving the UK behind for 9months with our young family so we are looking forward to a big adventure!!

We want to base ourselves near to friends in San Diego in order to provide our eldest with some schooling whilst we're away and are wondering anyone can give us some Rosarito info and a guide to crossing the border on a daily basis....

My husband will be working at the studios from 7.30am to 7pm each day. Could anyone advise us how long the drive is from San Ysidro border to the studios? Any tips on what time to try and get to the border each morning and evening in order to avoid a long wait?

Also, would he able to pick up a taxi quite easily on the mexican side once crossing the border on foot? How much would the taxi ride cost him?

Any advice, tips or guidance you could offer would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,955,578 times
I live 5 miles south of the Fox studio.

From the border into TJ and taking the coast (toll road) would be the best (quickest) way to by pass the street traffic going to the studio. If he buys a US car and drives himself he would be able to resell it after the work period.

Forget the Taxis. They have a transportation system of "taxis" (mini busses) that follow a route with constant stops thru TJ towards Rosarito where he would have to catch another "taxi" route coming my way that would pass the studio. Big pain in the rear. They have established routes and a person would have to make the "taxi" change is why I suggested having his own car.

Crossing border time is easy. Heavy traffic is going Northwards in the early 4-9 AM while the evening traffic is heavy 3-7 PM going southward.

His work schedule in the AM time period going into Mexico would be fine while a moderate number of cars going northward in the evening.

I'm a formal Canuck so welcome to the US and enjoy your stay.

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,965,861 times
Steve, is it safe driving the toll road from Ensenada to the border at night, make that 24/7? Also, you mention they just opened a small clinic in Rosarito. What is the name and how far is Rosarito from the nearest major hospital in Mexico? Thanks for your input.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM

I have used the toll road many times from my place (Primo Tapia) to Ensenada during the day but not at night. I would be leary using it at night especially if the car was a newer SUV etc.

The new Hospital in Rosarito is on the East side (next to the Toll road) by the Palacio (City Govmt Bldg) and a off ramp is there close by.

Next hospital would be in TJ. With the size of the city would imagine more then one. As you enter Mexico (TJ) it is on the right towards the ocean side (west) and can be seen from the road and signs stateing it's there and real close to the border with it's traffic.

Hope the info helps anyone.

Steve

Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 AM

Thank you Steve for your prompt reply, much appreciated

The driving at night thing - does that mean anytime after sundown or more like late night after midnight etc? Would my husband have to be concerned about his drive back to San Diego each evening?

Also, any good Rosarito places tips for me and the kids to know about?

Thanks again for your help

Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 AM

Best NOT to drive the toll road after midnight.

From Fox studio back up north towards Roasarito is a clean drive (pavement) to the AM/PM store and Pemex gas station. Here he would enter the toll road for free for a nice coast ride along the beach untill he hits the tool booth (approx $2.05) depending on the exchange rate of the day which is next to TJ and he will see the signs directing him towards the border exit.

The drive is a little longer then going thru the streets but for a new person to the area it is probably the best way to go.

The toll booth at the AM/PM Pemex is for those going towards Ensenada or coming from there. It is also the place (intersection so to speak) to enter the main street into Rosarito Beach.

Not much for American or other kids that I know of...I'm a senior so not privy to those things.

New shopping center going up at the north end of town with some good restaurants to visit.

Other then the beach itself...bars to drink...disco etc music...souvenier shops is the main thing.

Weekends are party time for many from San Diego...drinking age being at 18 and older.

Many families do visit Rosarito or TJ mainly as Avenida Revolution is the tourist street for you to visit.

Anything else I can answer ...please ask...as a former Canuck will help a cousin.

Steve

Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks for this info Steve, really helpful...is there anything husband needs to know about the actual border crossing procedure or is it all pretty obvious once you're there?

What is a "Canuck" by the way?!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 AM

Just a minute now...from your initial post you implied that your from the UK (England?)

Canuck is a term for Canadians...where I was born.

As to crossing the border US/Mexico...all he deeds is his Passport to re-enter the US (tourist Visa etc).

NO questions or papers needed to enter Mexico...walking in or driving in...re-entering the US is another thing...Passport is needed.

Sorry...NO fish and chips in Baja Mexico (English/Canadian style)...fish yes... galore.

You would like the Camarones (shrimp) deep fried.

When I lived in Mexico City...they were like chicken drumsticks...here a lot smaller.

Steve

Old 10-20-2011, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,116 times
Hello Steve, it seems as though you are an expert in the border crossing area ? I am moving to Rosarito with my family and will be communting to San Diego daily, do you have an estimate of about how far it is? What about the wait times if I have a sentri pass? Thank you for your help!!!

kind regards,
Tina Thompson BullBoxer31

Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Expert on border crossing?...thanx for the compliment.

I am 29 miles south of the border and 9 miles south of Rosarito so that means 20 miles between TJ and Rosarito...assuming you use the free inside road instead of the Toll road which is a longer drive along the beach area and approx $2 plus charge each way every day. Timewise would be about the same depending on hr crossing.

Sentri pass (don't have one myself) as I do not cross that many times being retired.

Down time is shorter crossing with Sentri but have noticed the vast increase in numbers of those using Sentri compared to it's initial introduction some yrs past.

Congrats for being wise in the move here.

Calimex and Commercial Mexicana Mkts have US beef and many US grocery items. Waldos is the local .99 store to check out for some grocery savings...just a little input. Personally I buy my things in Chula Vista Walmart or Henrys mkt for veg/fruit/meat needs. San Ysidro has Lucky mkt but many of there items are HIGHER in price compared to Walmart and Henrys. A person has to know their prices for comparison. I do have my Mailing address at San Ysidro PO so do make limited trips for those needs...occasional medical to the VA in La Jolla.

More info ...fire away...been here 15 yrs.

Got sidetracked re your question on time. Starting at 4 AM to 9 AM could be anywhere from 45 mins to 2 hrs. Most peope going to work have to be there by 7 or 8 AM so traffic crossing time is better between 7:30 and 9 AM. Allow 45 mins to 1-1/2 hr wait during that time.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 10-20-2011 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico