Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM

606 posts, read 1,608,765 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I still have 14½ years before I can retire, but I have always been a planner. I used to think about retiring to Mexico all the time, but now it seems so dangerous. I have family in Torreon and Juarez, and they are always telling me horror stories mostly about Cartel Violence, and it's very bad (seems to be worse in Torreon than Juarez now)...

But then I started researching Merida. That seems to be a very safe city. Now I'm thinking that may be a safe place to retire to... I always dreamed about moving to the DF, but that seems so dangerous too...

So: If anybody has retired from the US to Mexico, I would love to hear your stories or advice as far as selecting a city... I would love to hear personal experiences from Americans or Chicanos or anyone who has moved from the US to any state/city in the Republic of Mexico. If anyone has moved/retired either to Torreon or Juarez, bonus points for your stories LOL! So - QVO?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM

305 posts, read 751,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I always dreamed about moving to the DF, but that seems so dangerous too...
It's not. Anyone who is here will tell you that.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times
14 plus yrs from now is a CRAPSHOOT. One yr alone will show a change....let alone 14 plus.

Dreams of the future is fine just bear in mind that they do not always materalize as hoped for.

I went to DF back in 1985 for three yrs....only crime I encountered was on the METRO (wallet picked with $1000 on r
turn visit in 1990).

As of now have been in Rosarito area for now going on 17 yrs.......changes? ....yes.

As with the economy in the US so is it effected in Mexico......see it all the time when shopping for Groceries etc.

Do dream as any answers today will be for naught....maybe for 1-2 yrs okay.....14 plus...waste of energy.

Each 6 yrs a NEW president takes over thus does the change in Rules/Laws.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM

606 posts, read 1,608,765 times
Okay, call it a waste of energy then, no problem. I still find it interesting, and would still like to hear about how Americans or Chicanos picked your respective cities of residence in Mexico and furthermore how you found the transition to be. Any comments welcomed.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Why would anyone retire to Juarez?!

Some of the popular, and more stable, places are: Merida (hurricane country), San Cristobal de las Casas, San Miguel de Allende, Oaxaca. There are so many expats in San Miguel that property values have inflated tremendously. And rumor has it that the drug trade and related violence are almost everywhere, now. But you can do your research, and then re-evaluate a year or two before you're ready to retire. Conditions change. 14 years is a long way away.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM

360 posts, read 1,089,067 times
Google Mexico Connect forum and Mexico Expat forum. Almost all on those forums report that unless involved in drug trade there's very little to worry about. No place is crime free and theft is a big problem without proper precautions. Generally violent crime is worse in many American cities than comparably sized Mexican cities outside of drug activity. And much of the cartel violence has subsided due to government efforts.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,509,923 times
You're thinking about this ... thinking too seriously about this ... too early. Wait for another 10 years. Lots of things in yoiur life will change in the interim and your preferences, too.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,346,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Okay, call it a waste of energy then, no problem. I still find it interesting, and would still like to hear about how Americans or Chicanos picked your respective cities of residence in Mexico and furthermore how you found the transition to be. Any comments welcomed.
There is a couple from Phoenix (I think that's it) who live in Jocotepec at Lake Chapala for two years and they love it. I'm sure there are many more from Arizona who live in the area. Most of the people whom I know here are from Texas, California and Canada.

You are looking at a long time away to retire and there are many other places to consider. Right now the hot retirement spot is Ecuador. Mexico is getting more expensive and has recently ticked off many retirees with a change in its immigration rules. Ecuador and Guatemala are more friendly to retirees and want us.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times
I got married in Torreon 10 years ago. I last went there 5 years ago. There was little trouble then. Now its a war zone and indeed seems at the moment the worst place to visit. I went to MTY 5 years ago as well, my host there talked about how safe it felt compared to DF. Things change and will continue to. When you hear retirement horror stories its often because people went all in and converted all or most of what they had into a retirement home and when things changed they got screwed out of everything. Start by understanding you should do things in stages and stay flexible and you will be fine.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM

836 posts, read 2,951,681 times
I really do not understand how anyone could give up living at his home country his last years of life.

Something must be wrong in USA when their old people can not have a comfortable life in their final days.

So wonderful cities and places to retire in your own country, I don't understand why retire in Mexico, Central or South America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico