Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times

Advertisements

Particularly with regards to social conservativism, which cities in Mexico are most conservative (right-wing)? Which are most liberal (left-wing)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 PM

275 posts, read 978,140 times
I was writing something politically incorrect, but let's be brief:

Mexico City is very liberal. If you say bad comments against gays, you disagree with abortion, etc etc you will be pointed out

Maybe the most conservatives cities are at central mexico: Guadalajara, Leon, Guanajuato, Aguascalientes...

Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
I was writing something politically incorrect, but let's be brief:

Mexico City is very liberal. If you say bad comments against gays, you disagree with abortion, etc etc you will be pointed out

Maybe the most conservatives cities are at central mexico: Guadalajara, Leon, Guanajuato, Aguascalientes...
Is that true of all of D.F., or just places like Polanco, Zona Rosa, etc. that are closer to the city center? I saw a poll of Mexico City residents that shows a pretty large minority of folks who don't approve of either abortion or gay marriage, so it can't be anything like liberal cities in the U.S.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM

275 posts, read 978,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Is that true of all of D.F., or just places like Polanco, Zona Rosa, etc. that are closer to the city center? I saw a poll of Mexico City residents that shows a pretty large minority of folks who don't approve of either abortion or gay marriage, so it can't be anything like liberal cities in the U.S.
Maybe if i consider that are voters of PRD, which is a left-wing party in Mexico.

I disagree with what you say, i know a lot of people from Polanco, but also due to my business activities i know people from Neza, Iztapalapa, etc., and i have discussed about this issue and they dont tend to say bad thing against gays, and all those topics.

I bet you that youth people in Mexico City, no matter of their social conditions are very opened to accept these "social issues".

Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Liberal: Mexico City.

Conservative: The rest of the country.

Sure there are some "islands" of liberals in places as Puerto Vallarta, Cancún, Zipolite, Tijuana, but in general Mexico is a very conservative country.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
According to my friend from Tabasco, larger cities like Mexico City and Monterrey are liberal, while smaller, more provincial places like Merida and Villahermosa are more conservative.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:02 AM

305 posts, read 750,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
According to my friend from Tabasco, larger cities like Mexico City and Monterrey are liberal, while smaller, more provincial places like Merida and Villahermosa are more conservative.
Well, that's pretty much the same in the US and perhaps the entire world. Generally speaking, the larger the city, the more liberal it is...to an extent, anyway. Exceptions exist, it's not a hard and fast rule.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Liberal: Mexico City.

Conservative: The rest of the country.

Sure there are some "islands" of liberals in places as Puerto Vallarta, Cancún, Zipolite, Tijuana, but in general Mexico is a very conservative country.
I guess it depends in what context you're talking about liberalism. From a political spectrum perspective, most of the country is left of center, with Mexico City being further to the left, and other parts being more towards the centre-right.

The "heartland" of our country, what you typically think of Mexico (mariachis, tapatio, etc) is very socially conservative and very devout. This was also historically the most poverty stricken areas, and the majority of Mexican-Americans are descendants of people who fled this area looking for a better life. This area is of course Jalisco, Aguascalientes, zacatecas, etc.

If you're talking about politically conservative as far as benefiting the wealthy with low taxes, and the whole 'pick yourself up by your own bootstraps' mentality... it's probably Monterrety, but again, it's hard to really put Mexican politics in a U.S. perspective.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Because of seven decades of abuse by the PRI, the PRD is almost guaranteed a lock on local government - the presidency of the district - and the PRD is left-leaning on most issues. The party doesn't represent the views of the majority on the questions of abortion or same-sex marriage, IMO, but there really is no other option for the people to vote for so the PRD is viewed as the lesser of the evils. Many good things have been accomplished by the PRD, however. Not all are crazies. The most recently-departed head of the D.F. government, Marcelo Ebrard, was brought into the government by PAN President Vicente Fox Quesada (as head of police, before advancing). Ebrard has been reported to be bisexual/gay, sharing a partnership also with a former head of the D.F. government.

Polanco has a strong conservative tilt because of the Orthodox Jews which have substantial influence there. A bit lesser influence today than 25 years ago, but strength enough. It's also a zone where many 'corporate types' work/reside and they tend to be more conservative than the PRD.

The poorest barrios will be where you find more of an anarchistic tilt and 'anything goes' support for the PRD. But, largely, that support originates from the many government assistance programs promoted by the PRD.

Mexico City is also a center of the Roman Catholic church in Mexico and although most people who identify themselves as "Catholic" probably don't go to church regularly, they can tend to be a bit conservative. Remember, too, that the nation just ended 12 years of federal governance by a Christian-Right political party - PAN. Actually, PAN, on the federal level, was mostly a moderate government. There are some pretty strong conservative elements to the PAN and if you find the states where PAN controls the state governments that will give you an idea of where those views are most strongly held/expressed.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Right - Must be in the state of Guanajuato. I'm guessing León (where Ratzinger visited shortly before resigning as Pope and a guy was briefly detained after a concerned citizen reported him to the police for kissing his wife in a park a few months ago).

Left - Mexico City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico