Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,495,328 times

Advertisements

As much as I hate all the alarmist posts we get here, I find it ironic I'm posting this - but life is what it is. And of course I'm not alarmed, but I am sad, and this is news.

Shabazz clearly was no goodie-two-shoes. Apparently he got sucked into one of the scam bars that I wouldn't even walk by myself. Crooks in a bar vs American hoodlum sure isn't apt to go down well.

Maybe if anything good comes of it it will prompt DF cops to clean out a couple of the rats' nests plaguing the neighborhood. I have a feeling that bar is gonna be out of business in a hurry.

Though Shabazz was obviously no saint, it is quite sad to see how the legacy of suffering and tragedy continues to pursue this family known so well for the civil rights leaderships of his grandfather who famously demanded justice must come to African American people "by any means necessary".

Malcolm Shabazz, grandson of Malcolm X, killed in Mexico; friend blames fight over bar tab - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 PM

The article mention it was the "Palace Bar". Not sure if they got that right cuz it didn't come up in Google. Anyone know exactly where this happened?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM

758 posts, read 2,244,178 times
PGJDF investiga asesinato a golpes de nieto de Malcolm X en Garibaldi | Excélsior it's in Garibaldi, which is north of Bellas Artes.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 PM

758 posts, read 2,244,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Shabazz clearly was no goodie-two-shoes. Apparently he got sucked into one of the scam bars that I wouldn't even walk by myself. Crooks in a bar vs American hoodlum sure isn't apt to go down well.
[/url]
Doesn't mean because he wasn't a goodie two-shoes that he deserved that fate. There are alarmist here that think Mexico is a violent h*** hole war-torn place, and others who claim that it's as safe as suburban stockholm... it's somewhere inbetween.

Mexico can be a dangerous place ... especially if you're not smart. I hate to disrespect the dead, but going into a bar that you know nothing of, only because some girl lured BOTH of you in... sounds extremely dumb. I am sorry for his death, and I do hope that this earns enough publicity that maybe puts pressure PGJDF to clean up downtown once and for all. The historic district has a lot of potential to be gentrified and be a pleasant place... no need for all the trash that's there.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,510,679 times
My opinion on the topic:

He was a hoodlum and ... reading between the lines ... I think he was probably present in Mexico illegally (without having obtained an FMM). No need to shed tears, or be sad. And no need to draw attention to the death. Many hoodlums die in Mexico City. About the death maybe causing police to "clean up" certain things: don't hold your breath. For the most part, the police in the D.F. are the enemy, not there to serve and protect ... unless you think "to serve and protect" means serving and protecting criminals. Plaza Garibaldi and the area around it has been a dangerous or "iffy" place for a long time ... late night. Do what local residents do: be cautious.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM

346 posts, read 649,120 times
This is the equivalent of a foreign tourist going to some "blind pig" bar in Detroit or Newark, and mouthing off to the Bloods/Crips/Folks after winning a pool game. Yet this is going to be spun as yet another story on how ALL of Mexico is a dangerous hell hole.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 AM

346 posts, read 649,120 times
...and whats the grandson of Malcolm X doing drinking the "devil's" beer anyway?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,132 times
He has a tear drop near his eye....obviously a sign that he was still involved in crime. I remember being horrified that he was responsible for setting the house fire that killed Betty Shabazz when he was just a preteen.

Sad life.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 AM

I've read about scams in scuzzy bars in DF and also in Paris like this where they entice you in then try to charge you $1200 for some overpriced wine. The trick is if you don't pay they call the local beat cop who gets paid off by the bar racket. Apparently this is what happened to Malcolm.

If they said he wouldn't pay a $150 bar tab, I'd think nothing of it. But c'mon - if the charged 100 pesos foe a beer he'd hafta drink 140 beers! Somehow I doubt that. If I can figure this out, so can Obama

San Lu, I think the Pancho comparison is pretty accurate. X started a war against white oppression in the USA and won - just like Pancho. I'd dare say the American Civil Rights movement might well be called the second American civil war. It was obviously not as violent as the first, but some evil rackets had to be broken and they did it.

The nightclub extortion racket in DF is well known in the US. Malcolm X was part of a revolution that destroyed the entire racist white machine still active in 15 American states at the time. That's a lot of power. Much of the network of people who did that are still alive today including Coretta Scott King, Jesse Jackson, etc. the direct result of all that struggle culminated in 2008.

I have no doubt when Obama heard about this, he's gonna be pizzed. No doubt the first thing he will think is be owes Malcolm X a great deal.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM

684 posts, read 1,124,239 times
Very sad. May Allah Almighty grant him paradise. He had a misspent youth, but he was now on the straight and narrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico