Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,345,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Who do you think the "government" is? Mexicans are responsible for the actions of their government, because they are the corrupt government employees/officials. Corruption is currently part of the Mexican national DNA. Too many Mexicans are corrupt and abusing their fellow citizens. And there's little evidence they have conscience enough to either be ashamed for their behavior, or concerned about what others think. Whether corruption was involved here, time will tell. Maybe.
We thank God everyday we have you as our conscience to tell us exactly right from wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Her being Mormon has no bearing on her guilt or innocence.

However, I think it's unlikely that she's guilty. Statistically speaking, women her age with 7 kids who are devoutly religious are unlikely to be drug users/smugglers. She doesn't fit the profile. Just because the drugs were under her seat doesn't mean they're hers; they could have been placed there hours or even days beforehand.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,954,131 times
That Military checkpoint is just outside Hermosillo (have been there more then once) and gave the soldiers including the Officier Captain some of my American Coca Cola that I had in my ice chest. They were a nice bunch of guys just doing their job.

Would be nice if a poster could refer to his own experiences other then to post whatever comes to mind.

As for the checking of luggage I have seen that when going from TJ to Cd de Obregon for a 15th Birthday party.

They checked all the undercarriage bags while two soldiers went thru the overhead small bags while we stood outside the bus. I had a Ltr of Bacardi that was untouched or removed.

As for me I post my own experience and NOT CONJECTURE or what was read or heard or believe etc.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Her being Mormon has no bearing on her guilt or innocence.

However, I think it's unlikely that she's guilty. Statistically speaking, women her age with 7 kids who are devoutly religious are unlikely to be drug users/smugglers. She doesn't fit the profile. Just because the drugs were under her seat doesn't mean they're hers; they could have been placed there hours or even days beforehand.
Hello Richardson. I grew up in Richardson.

In Mexico it the Napoleonic Code and a very different type of trial than our common law and open trials in the U.S., Canada and Great Britain. There are no juries here. Until recently, everything was submitted to the judge in writing and no one ever saw the courtroom or questioned witnesses.

The defendant is presumed guilty and he must prove his innocence. That can be tough since the judge works with the prosecution to bring the charges in the first place. Usually the defendant is never in the courtroom and everything is handled by the lawyers and judges. Judges can have ex-parte communications with the prosecution and there is no confidentiality with a defendant's own lawyer so a defendant needs to be careful what he tells his lawyer.

I wouldn't want to be in that kind of trial. It is hard enough for an innocent person to be found not guilty with our system and I can't imagine someone who doesn't speak Spanish and doesn't have money going to trial in Mexico.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,327,230 times
Default Who do I think the government is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It is political I bet. The corrupt mexicans are trying to figure out a way to get paid...esay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I hope what you really meant to say is the corrupt government of Mexico, (if that is the case you were trying to make) because I don't really see the corrupt mexicans as the culprits here...meaning the citizens of Mexico are not directly responsible for the actions of their government or their governmental agencies.

Just my opinion on the matter...

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Quote:
Who do you think the "government" is? Mexicans are responsible for the actions of their government, because they are the corrupt government employees/officials. Corruption is currently part of the Mexican national DNA. Too many Mexicans are corrupt and abusing their fellow citizens. And there's little evidence they have conscience enough to either be ashamed for their behavior, or concerned about what others think. Whether corruption was involved here, time will tell. Maybe.
[quote=axixic2] We thank God everyday we have you as our conscience to tell us exactly right from wrong. [quote=axixic2]

I think the government representatives in Mexico can be the same ilk as the American government representatives...arrogant, corrupt, politically connected, know-it-alls! Just like our Mexican counterparts...we hope we elect the appropriate candidates, but we can never be sure. And honestly, it does not seem to make a difference what party they belong to either.

Please consider recanting your ridiculous claim that corruption is part of the Mexican DNA as you will never garner any credibility from your fellow forum members. Oh wait, you don't care about crediblity! Talk about having little evidence they have conscience enough to either be ashamed for their behavior, or concerned about what others think. Kettle meet Pot!

Generalizations and stereotypes from you...that's all!

Yes we do, indeed thank God everyday we have gomexico as our conscience to tell us exactly right from wrong.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 05-30-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I wouldn't want to be in that kind of trial. It is hard enough for an innocent person to be found not guilty with our system and I can't imagine someone who doesn't speak Spanish and doesn't have money going to trial in Mexico.
She's originally from Mexico; she's a naturalized US citizen. So, no language barrier. Doesn't make her ordeal any easier though.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,106,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Everyone knows mexico is corrupt but cmon now. This is so wrong but not uncommon. Mormons are good people.
Because religious people don't do anything wrong? They're human, aren't they?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm suspecting you don't travel much by bus in Mexico. Long distance busses. It's commonplace in some parts of the country, particularly in the North, but not only there ... for the military to have checkpoints at which they search luggage, the interior compartment of busses and sometimes the immigration or identity papers of passengers. Not unusual at all. My understanding is that this particular checkpoint, where the couple was taken into custody after drugs were located under the seat, was at or near Hermosillo. Sonora which is a gateway of sorts that busses headed into the SW USA travel through. At this point, but with not much information available ... I'm going to assume the woman and her husband are innocent and what we're seeing is another example of the deep-rooted corruption that's part of the Mexican national DNA.
I've travelled by bus numerous times around the country and never encountered this. You either have extremely bad luck or something else is going on. It seems that wherever you go in Mexico, you encounter huge issues with criminal behavior and corruption.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Your statements are ridiculous and pretty bigoted. As if government corruption is somehow unique in Mexico, especially at a time when scandal after scandal appears to be coming out of Washington these days.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Your statements are ridiculous and pretty bigoted. As if government corruption is somehow unique in Mexico, especially at a time when scandal after scandal appears to be coming out of Washington these days.
Most Mexicans and especially us foreigners trust the military. It is one organization that has not been corrupted. We were told a few weeks ago when we had some soldiers around Lake Chapala that we could not give them anything like soft drinks, food, etc. We wanted to show that we appreciate them but their commanding officers want to make sure they stay un-corrupted.

It was soldiers who found the drugs under her seat. Soldiers are usually honest. I don't know of anyone who ever said they paid a soldier a bribe.

The soldiers could have been used to hurt this woman. Someone else could have been smuggling the drugs. This woman could be guilty. We don't know. There hasn't been a real investigation.

I doubt they can prove she put the drugs under her seat which would be noticeable to someone on the bus. It is hard to hide a 12 lb package. A bus employee could hide the package when the bus was empty which looks more plausible.

If no one can say the drugs were her drugs and she put them under the seat, I am sure they will let her go without her bribing anyone.

A police officer is paid about $600 U.S. dollars a month. That isn't much for risking his life so he supplements his salary and lunch money occasionally with a "little bite." You can pay $5 dollars and get out of a ticket. Something like this, a drug bust, it is more difficult to pay a bribe because too many people are involved. Very low wages cause corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico