Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,760,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Indian, huh? I wonder how those people got from India to Mexico
I just don't subscribe to politically correct terminology. And neither does the Smithsonian:
National Museum of the American Indian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,491,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
I just don't subscribe to politically correct terminology. And neither does the Smithsonian:
National Museum of the American Indian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the Wikipedia article, you have several lines like this one "it established the National Museum of the American Indian as "a living memorial to Native Americans and their traditions" " where 'American Indian' is used to reference the museum, but 'Native Americans' as to what the museum is actually about. So both terms seem to be interchangeable.

It's not about being PC. Terms like Indian/American Indian/Amerindian are, frankly, outdated. heh.

Labels are difficult. To most people, they don't define their daily lives...but for groups of people, they really do matter. You have Mexicans arguing over whether they prefer 'Chicano' 'Mexican -American' 'Hispanic' or 'Latino' or to get rid of all of them and create one that respects not just our Latin roots, but our part Native American and African ones too. There is movement within black communities to let go of the term 'African-American', just as the mainstream population has learned to embrace it. (Part of it roots from how many blacks don't feel any real roots to Africa, especially now that Africans are immigrating in larger numbers and these actual Africans reject the mainstream black American with whom they don't see (nor wish to have) any cultural affiliation.)

If this country (USA), or just humans overall, was truly more egalitarian we probably wouldn't have a need for separate identities, communities, to harbor ourselves to.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,907,307 times
Mexico is extremely diverse and extremely mixed!

Old 10-03-2014, 04:06 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,934,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Mexico is extremely diverse and extremely mixed!
^^^SobreTodo is correct. I live in Mexico City and have travelled extensively throughout the southern half of Mexico, and also in Baja California. I've seen Mexicans with every hair color/texture, skin color and eye color there is---however perhaps not in the numbers you find in Italy, Germany, etc. Also, my fiance is an indigenous Mexican (Otomi). Many of his relatives have distinctly Amerindian physical features (not that dissimilar to the pics someone posted above). One of his sisters, I swear, looks not much different than some Chinese and other Asian women I know and have seen. Native Americans in the USA look somewhat similar to many of my Mexican friends. But they, too, are quite varied in physical features so it's not quite accurate to say they look the same just because they are both indigenous peoples of the Americas. I realize the OP just doesn't know---so he's asking. But it gets tiring when people are always trying to lump people into a certain box. Believe me, Mexican nationals are diverse--with ancestries ranging from indigenous (think descendents of Aztecs, Mixtecs, Olmecs, Mayans, etc.) to Lebanese, German, African (especially in the Veracruz region), and of course Spanish. This list goes on. The richest man in the world, Carlos Slim, is Mexican-born and raised, but both of his parents are from the Middle East (Lebonon). Getting the picture?

Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygray View Post
Yes you do. They're called Afro-Mexicans and there are LOTS of them in North Carolina. Mexico was another destination for African slaves, only theirs were absorbed into the Native pop. The opposite happened in the U.S. southeast. There the number of slaves swallowed up many of the Indians through intermarriage. There are extensive records of the latter. As far as Mexicans with frizzy hair, over at 23and me there are several threads started by Mexican people who want to know where did the SSA in so many of them come from. They have been hitting some pretty high avgs. of around 10% that they have no CLUE where it comes from until now. Try researching Veracruz, Michoacan, Costa Chica etc..... The same thing in Peru, Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil, and many others.
True although don't forget to factor in the nuances and aspects of polytopicity.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
^^^SobreTodo is correct. I live in Mexico City and have travelled extensively throughout the southern half of Mexico, and also in Baja California. I've seen Mexicans with every hair color/texture, skin color and eye color there is---however perhaps not in the numbers you find in Italy, Germany, etc. Also, my fiance is an indigenous Mexican (Otomi). Many of his relatives have distinctly Amerindian physical features (not that dissimilar to the pics someone posted above). One of his sisters, I swear, looks not much different than some Chinese and other Asian women I know and have seen. Native Americans in the USA look somewhat similar to many of my Mexican friends. But they, too, are quite varied in physical features so it's not quite accurate to say they look the same just because they are both indigenous peoples of the Americas. I realize the OP just doesn't know---so he's asking. But it gets tiring when people are always trying to lump people into a certain box. Believe me, Mexican nationals are diverse--with ancestries ranging from indigenous (think descendents of Aztecs, Mixtecs, Olmecs, Mayans, etc.) to Lebanese, German, African (especially in the Veracruz region), and of course Spanish. This list goes on. The richest man in the world, Carlos Slim, is Mexican-born and raised, but both of his parents are from the Middle East (Lebonon). Getting the picture?
Yep, also remember that Asians/Filipinos came into Mexico during the colonial period in large numbers. In fact so many arrived in Mexico that they'd be recorded as indios even on records.

Look up the Manila galleon trade and Manila Alcapulco trade!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 AM

101 posts, read 205,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekstraccx View Post
Okay I know Mexican isn't a race. I live in Texas and usually just see 'mestizo' ones(new word I found out about) and the white looking ones. I've read about it online a bit and I read that white Mexicans are rich, but to be honest I don't think that's true. I know white looking ones and they're in the same class I am(lower middle class). I've seen some of the family of my 'mestizo' Mexican friends and I've noticed that a lot of times there are white looking Mexicans and mixed Mexicans in the same families. Would that be like white Americans and black Americans being in the same family in Mexico, or is that normal? I mean they don't look too different from each other, like say whites and blacks do, but I'm just curious.

also I know that Spaniards came and killed a lot of natives by murder or illness. So yeah obviously I know that Mexicans have native in them, it's quiet well known since some are proud of it and others seem to not care at all.

but in Mexico, are there people of German descent, Swedish, Dutch, Asians and stuff like that? Because I don't think that Mexicans are just descended from spanish conquistadors and that's their only white side, cause most in my opinion don't look like native americans. I've seen native Americans in real life and online, movies etc. and I wouldn't say Mexicans usually look just like them.

sorry if I sound dumb, I'm just curious and don't know much about this.

Their are only 20 Million White Mexicans and half of them are not pure and are mixed with some Amerindian, Asian, Dutch, Swedish are a small minority like Afro Mexicans. The population of Mexico is around 120 Million.

Mestizo Mexicans are 80% of this population. Majority of Mexicans have Spanish names.
White Mexicans are around 9 to 11% Jones Smith, and Anglo names are not that common and neither are othe Anglo names.

Asians are 1.2% Chen, Chang, Wu, Park and names like this again are not that common.
Afro Mexicans or Blaxicans are around 1%

Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 AM

101 posts, read 205,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Yep, also remember that Asians/Filipinos came into Mexico during the colonial period in large numbers. In fact so many arrived in Mexico that they'd be recorded as indios even on records.

Look up the Manila galleon trade and Manila Alcapulco trade!
Not that many came to be honest. It would be like dropping a drop of Cola in the Ocean. The trip was long and about the same number of Filipinos came as African slaves and both are around 1% of the Mexican population. Asian about 1.2% this also includes Chinese, Koreans, Japanese ect ect. Afro Mexicans are about 1%.

Filipino Mexicans are Mexican citizens who are descendants of Filipino ancestry.[1] The actual population amount is not known, but some estimate there may be about 200,000 people of mixed Filipino ancestry in Mexico.[2] They may form less than (0.2%) of the population and its communities are found in Michoacán, Guerrero, and Colima.

source Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico