Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times

Advertisements

Come on! Not all Mexico were part of the aztecs, they were limited to the area of Mexico City.

México is very big and with different cultures, you can not generalize a country by a partial point of view in a visit or by having lived in a single city.

Instead questioning how Mexicans see each another, put your view in how americans are treating under a racist leader to their minorities, right now! that is a big problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 02:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip;47492750 Come on! Not all Mexico were part of the aztecs, they were limited to the area of Mexico City.

[B
México is very big and with different cultures, you can not generalize a country by a partial point of view in a visit or by having lived in a single city.[/b]

Instead questioning how Mexicans see each another, put your view in how americans are treating under a racist leader to their minorities, right now! that is a big problem.
You think? A country as big as Mexico is diverse? No way.

I've lived in Baja California and Oaxaca, the cultural difference was huge. There's racism in Mexico just like there is racism in every country.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm not Mexican but I'm guessing they probably see the Whites as ''better'' than them due to social conditioning. Isn't the Mexican government all Spanish?? Isn't everyone in Mexican media white/ Then the mestizos probably look up to them in anger, delight, envy etc...
The Mexican government isn't all Spanish, nor is the media. Mestizo is a bit vague and ill defined. But there isn't any one way a Mestizo looks.

Talk Black/White mixes. You have Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams. Then you have people like Mariah Carey (who looks pretty white).

Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I live in Mexico City with my boyfriend and his family. They are indigenous (dark-skinned) Mexicans. They live in a typical working-class neighborhood (not posh/swanky by any stretch). I shop, walk, take busses, take taxis, and buy everything I need at the local tianguis. I am a white American. I speak basic Spanish, walk and talk with confidence. I also treat people the way I want to be treated--with kindness, compassion and respect. Never have I experienced any kind of animosity (or price cheating) from my neighbors, shopkeepers, etc. Some call me guera or grandota (white girl or big girl since I am 5'10")--neither of which are offensive to me. I have found that people down there assign a lot of nicknames to people based on their physical characteristics, e.g. gordo, gordita, chaparrita, morenito (my boyfriend's nickname).
This is true of all Spanish speaking countries. Moreno, chino, indio, mono (meaning rubio or blond), etc.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is true of all Spanish speaking countries. Moreno, chino, indio, mono (meaning rubio or blond), etc.
In Mexico blonde/White is güero.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 PM

34 posts, read 48,971 times
Quote:
The Mexican government isn't all Spanish, nor is the media. Mestizo is a bit vague and ill defined. But there isn't any one way a Mestizo looks.

Talk Black/White mixes. You have Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams. Then you have people like Mariah Carey (who looks pretty white).
A lot of Mexicans tend to be in denial

cortes conquered mexico with 518 hombres, mexico had over 40 million indigenous pre-columbus inhabitants. I dont know how do modern Mexicans came to the conclusion that they are vastly 50/50.

518 white men managed to mingle with over 20 million indigenous women to create a 50/50 mestizo people, (or so the Mexicans claim)

Go to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Colima, Tijuana and the vast majority of Mexicans look pretty mixed with indigenous meso-Americans. The brown skin, jet dark spiky hair, high cheekbones, it's a pretty common trait in a substantial number of Mexicans. Far more than in many other countries in Latin America where people look far more mix.

Yet when you talk to Mexicans they often make it sounds as if they have some close Spanish ancestry, if it was up to a lot of them they'll tell you they're straight out of Spain!!! (Filipinos also have that sort of brainwashing going when it comes to the Spaniards as well)

It's pathetic because you can clearly see moctezuma on most of the Mexican faces, you can't really see Cortes (only in a minority you can), yet some claim mexico is not brainwashed.

Go tune into Televisa and compare the races of the actors there with the actors of other TV's in Latin America.

On Brazilian, Colombian, Argentine TV you'll find blacks, brown people, mulatos.... on Mexican TV everyone's got blonde hair and blue eyes.

The only country in Latin America that mirror's Mexico's denial is largely indigenous Peru where TV is also full of white people and everyone claims they're mestizo despite looking indigenous.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songrant View Post
A lot of Mexicans tend to be in denial

cortes conquered mexico with 518 hombres, mexico had over 40 million indigenous pre-columbus inhabitants. I dont know how do modern Mexicans came to the conclusion that they are vastly 50/50.

518 white men managed to mingle with over 20 million indigenous women to create a 50/50 mestizo people, (or so the Mexicans claim)

Go to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Colima, Tijuana and the vast majority of Mexicans look pretty mixed with indigenous meso-Americans. The brown skin, jet dark spiky hair, high cheekbones, it's a pretty common trait in a substantial number of Mexicans. Far more than in many other countries in Latin America where people look far more mix.

Yet when you talk to Mexicans they often make it sounds as if they have some close Spanish ancestry, if it was up to a lot of them they'll tell you they're straight out of Spain!!! (Filipinos also have that sort of brainwashing going when it comes to the Spaniards as well)

It's pathetic because you can clearly see moctezuma on most of the Mexican faces, you can't really see Cortes (only in a minority you can), yet some claim mexico is not brainwashed.

Go tune into Televisa and compare the races of the actors there with the actors of other TV's in Latin America.

On Brazilian, Colombian, Argentine TV you'll find blacks, brown people, mulatos.... on Mexican TV everyone's got blonde hair and blue eyes.

The only country in Latin America that mirror's Mexico's denial is largely indigenous Peru where TV is also full of white people and everyone claims they're mestizo despite looking indigenous.
There have been genetic tests done of Mexico's gene pool...it is roughly even between indigenous and European, though is slightly more indigenous if I remember correctly.

While the vast majority of Mexicans have at least some visible indigenous ancestry, there's definitely a wide range in appearance. It varies by state.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:09 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:

I see people claim that Latin America's ruling class is always white, that is so not true. Most mestizo majority countries have mestizo leaders. Including Mexico.

Yes the wealthy in Latin America are disproportionately white, but plenty of mestizos are higher class as well.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There have been genetic tests done of Mexico's gene pool...it is roughly even between indigenous and European, though is slightly more indigenous if I remember correctly.

While the vast majority of Mexicans have at least some visible indigenous ancestry, there's definitely a wide range in appearance. It varies by state.
Facts don't matter to people who troll around. Also, usually the people who comment in detail about Mexicans haven't traveled around the country. They've been to a city for a few days and all of a sudden are genetic and cultural experts.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
I am not Mexican .... but my family is from the Caribbean. I think it is pretty delusional to not acknowledge the real unfair privilege being more European looking has in any society in the Americas . I am visibly white and from the Caribbean and is it pretty obvious where ever I go in the Caribbean and Latin America. In Trinidad people just assume my family has money because of the way I look. My parents always stated darkers kids always picked on them because of their skin colour... but in fairness the hosility was understood because some of these same kids lived very close to the poverty line ... if not below and had parents working as nannies, house keepers and gardeners for these white families. Ex The house keeper in my grandparents home would refer to the kids as master or ms. ..... totally cringe worth ..... but true.

This menality is so embedded in pop culture that people forget to even acknowledge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico