Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,331,095 times

Advertisements

Aztecs don't exist, they were annihilated by the Malinche and her lapdog and a federation of more than 200 tribes. They are indeed related to Spain because language, culture and also ethnicity since most are partly Spanish. Cantinflas is the most famous actor ever, and he was Mexican looking, Maria Felix, el indio Fernandez, not to talk about singers, Manzanero, los Panchos, etc.

If most actors have a North Spanish background it only means that the Mexican public likes them, si nace un mexicano bonito o acaba de actor o de presidente (popular saying). Most Hollywood actors don't look like mainstream Americans at all. Gachupines had a VERY tough time in Mexico, in fact, most arrived recently during Lazaro Cardenas, and most of the previous colony ran out during revolutions.

Last edited by karstic; 03-15-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,235,185 times
What I do not understand is the average American's eagerness to emphasize that Mexico is an indigenous nation when it is obvious that it is not. It is a multicultural nation but whose cultural baggage has much more to do with Spain than with the Aztecs, which by the way, were one of the many tribes established in central Mexico whose influence never covered the whole country.

Yes, there are areas of the country that are predominantly white because the indigenous people of these areas were exterminated by the colonizers, something similar to what happened in the United States, those areas are located in the north of the country.

And even though most Mexicans have predominantly indigenous traits, it can not be denied that there are European and African genes. Beyond race matters that are only important in the country of the north, the Mexican culture is one that has a fabulous mix with the Spanish something that can not boast any nation more than those that are south of the Rio Bravo.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,401 times
Blame it on the Mexican government.

In order to ensure unity, it exploited the word "mestizo" (despite it meaning mix blood of Amerindian AND European) into meaning all Mexicans despite those who are full blooded Asian, European, or Amerindian. Then, Americans overhear the word and incorrectly labeled it to illegals (who tend to come from the Southern Parts of Mexico where it is primarily of Amerindian descent and poor) thinking that all Mexicans are pure blooded Amerindians.

There is nothing wrong with unity, but to misinterpret the word is just irksome. I hate having to defend and explain to Americans and even certain Mexicans in Mexico City that I am actually mestizo (my dad being Mexican of Mediterranean European descent while my mother is Mexican by mestiza descent....so technically I am Castizo but I use mestizo because it is easier to understand). Not all Mestizos have a uniform look, some can look European, others can look very Amerindian, while there are those who are somewhat in the middle or somewhat ambigious by appearance.

But I do not fit the "mestizo" bill to certain Americans and privileged Mexicans in Mexico City because to them: a mestizo is suppose to be short, dark brown, and very Amerindian looking. Whereas my average height and ambigious features with a olive,/tan skin tone does not cut it out for them that I am truly Mexican of mestizo descent. Granted, I must work on my Spanish to better improve conversational skills since I lived in the U.S. My whole life, but that does not take away my heritage I inherited from my parents.

Last edited by FBF; 03-15-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM

34 posts, read 49,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There have been genetic tests done of Mexico's gene pool...it is roughly even between indigenous and European, though is slightly more indigenous if I remember correctly.

While the vast majority of Mexicans have at least some visible indigenous ancestry, there's definitely a wide range in appearance. It varies by state.
Oh come on you're pretty much in denial

Mexico's roots are OVERWHELMINGLY INDIGENOUS, why lie and pretend they're not? Why claim you're REALLY SPANISH if you're really not!!!

I have been to Spain and I have been to Mexico and the similarities are more cultural (because of colonization) rather than genetic.

Take a stroll down any street in Guadalajara and you'll notice the indigenous features of the Mexican people right away. Mexico City looks even more indigenous. Yes, people might be Roman Catholic (like Southern Europeans), and might Speak Spanish (A European language) but that doesn't change the genetic make up of the average Mexican.

And yes, of course there are exceptions to the rule, you find some Spanish looking Mexicans, but these are ALMOST ALWAYS middle class people and they stand out especially when compared to the masses.

To claim Mexico is as multiracial as was Cuba, Brazil, Colombia or countries in the Americas with substantial amounts of blacks, whites, mulatos, sambos, mestizos it's frankly ridiculous.

Mexico fits in the category of Peru, Guatemala, Ecuador, Bolivia. (Countries with a strong indigenous lineage)

Btw, no one is saying there is not Spanish blood in Mexico, but it is OBVIOUS it's not the major genetic input of the average Mexican, the average Mexican is quite close to the Meso-Americans who inhabited the country before the Europeans went there.

STOP BEING IN DENIAL.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:04 PM
FBF

Not all mestizos look the same though.

You have those who look European while those who look Amerindian. Though, a lot of Amerindians and Amerindian looking Mestizos tend to move to the big cities for job opportunities much like how big American cities are not always pure white due to both international and domestic immigration.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Mexicans are descendants of indigenous people with SOME DEGREES of Spanish blood, not the other way around, like 1995 and rosa surf would like to suggest.

Some Mexicans would like you to believe the masses in Mexico consist of Cortez descendants mixed with SOME degrees of indigenous Meso-American heritage.

I have visited many parts of Mexico and just by looking at the average Mexican you can clearly see that the average Mexican is a direct descendant of the indigenous people that inhabited the country, and then you have SOME Spaniard origin thrown in (mostly in the upper classes), the lower classes not so much!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 PM
FBF

Speak for yourself, my family and I are Mexicans and we are not primarily Indoamerican descent (although my brothers and I are partially and we would not be considered really Mexican by your American standards being tall and lighter in complexion).

I do not deny the Amerindian descent that a portion of Mexicans have, but even then, our appearances could differ based on how much those genetics are passed down (say a mestizo married more white descent Mexicans or Amerindian descent people for example).

Not all Mexicans have the same standard look exploited by Hollywood and American politicians!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Not all mestizos look the same though.

You have those who look European while those who look Amerindian. Though, a lot of Amerindians and Amerindian looking Mestizos tend to move to the big cities for job opportunities much like how big American cities are not always pure white due to both international and domestic immigration.
The average Mexican mestizo is pretty indo-mestizo

75% indigenous, 25% Caucasian.

There are countries with really varied admixture of mestizos especially in South America, however Mexico does not come to mind when one thinks Euro-mestizos "Called Castizos", or even Mestizos with some African lineage.

I know a LOT of Mexicans, and when I say that, I do not mean the migrants in the United States, I mean actual Mexicans who live in Mexico and who come from different socio-economic levels.

I've always noticed that it's common for Mexicans to subtly try to detach themselves from the "indio" links that are so present in their culture and roots, while ironically claiming to be very proud of the "Aztecs and Mayans and Olmecs etc." just to sound acceptable.

However reading between the lines and looking at the embarrassment that is Mexican media (full of Spaniard looking white blonde people that DO NOT mirror Mexican average people), it's OBVIOUS Mexicans have some inferiority complex born out of the colonization they suffered from.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM
FBF

See above post, your post reeks of misinformation. I never denied there being more people of Near or Total Amerindian descent but not all mestizos (Amerindian European descent) look the same nor have the same genetic makeup of 75% Amerindian and 25%European.

It is pretty annoying when I run into people like you who insist I cannot possibly be Mexican but Brazilian or Some other South American country merely because of my stature and slightly lighter skin tone because in their eyes: Mexico is primarily only Amerindian descent (despite it not being the case)!

60% of the population are mestizos who can have a variation of looks, 20 % are of European descent, while the rest are Amerindians!

Edit: you edited your post to contain damages! LOL

Last edited by FBF; 03-15-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
See above post, your post reeks of misinformation. I never denied there being more people of Near or Total Amerindian descent but not all mestizos (Amerindian European descent) look the same nor have the same genetic makeup of 75% Amerindian and 25%European.
Who is claiming ALL MEXICANS LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE? No one is saying that.

Read my post again, I am stating the fact that Mexicans tend to exaggerate the Spanish presence in their origins, and many even subtly try to detach themselves from the Indigenous culture of Mexico even though it's pretty visible Mexicans on average look VERY MESO-AMERICAN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico