Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 04:31 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times

Advertisements

I will be spending a weekend in Tijuana and I am looking for tips to enjoy the "local" nightlife. That is, I want to avoid places packed with North American tourists (yes, I hear there are not so many tourists these days).

I want to mingle with Mexicans. I hear the Zona Rio has fewer tourists than Zona Centro (Avenida Revolucion). Not looking for strip clubs. Just normal bars, dance clubs or even live music.

Also, what is the typical attire people where in Tijuana when out on the town? For a guy are we talking jeans and a nice shirt? Or something more formal as in slacks?

I do speak decent Spanish. I am definitely NOT fluent but I've traveled to numerous Spanish speaking countries far from the U.S. border so I am prepared to get by on Spanish.

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 08:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Wear whatever you like, you will see it all. Lots of hipsters around, that look would not be unusual at all. Some of the more popular nightlife spots are in the Zona Centro, just not on La Revo where amazingly a few places try to hang on like it's still 1999.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Thanks Willy.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
That is, I want to avoid places packed with North American tourists (yes, I hear there are not so many tourists these days).
I think the preferred term is "Northern Americans" for USA and Canada. North America generally includes Mexico and Central America. But yes, you don't want gringos, zebras, and strip clubs or possibly even seedier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I want to mingle with Mexicans. I hear the Zona Rio has fewer tourists than Zona Centro (Avenida Revolucion). Not looking for strip clubs. Just normal bars, dance clubs or even live music.
Still not quite sure of expense level or age level of what you want. So I will go hit or miss. I will stick within a mile of Plaza Fiesta.

Plaza Fiesta is on the northern part of Zona Rio right across from the mall. There didn't be, but I think there are strip clubs in the mix, now, but it is not a seedy area. The nice thing about Plaza Fiesta is it is a mix of sports bars, dance clubs, etc. So you can find the club that is right for you, or more importantly right for you at a certain time of the night.
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...t-beer-5614132

Although Plaza Fiesta is only about 1 mile straight line from the pedestrian crossing, it can be difficult walk at night and if you don't know the city. Ask the taxi the price beforehand.

La Revancha Restaurante Bar is about 200 yards down the street from Plaza Fiesta, and is a little more of a step up. You will probably meet prettier people and a little older. (De los Héroes 9311, Zona Río, 22320 Tijuana)

Mr. Pampas Brazilian Restaurant (Sánchez Taboada 4499 int. 1, Zona Rio, 22010 Tijuana) mrpampas.com is a Churrascaria chain +52 664 686 3941. All you can eat meat for a reasonable price.

Mr Pampas is the first restaurant in Zona Gastronomia where you will find about 20 restaurants of various levels of quality. One of the best is ¿Quienes somos? - Cheripan

If you are looking for the most fashionable and probably the most expensive place in TJ, that would be Mision 19
Welcome - Misión 19Misión 19 | Cocina de autor.

If you want just good homestyle Mexican food, try La Casa Del Mole Poblano Prol. Paseo de los Héroes 10511, Zona Urbana Río Tijuana, 22010 Tijuana
http://www.descubretijuana.com/en/at...-mole-zona-rio

Mole Poblano is probably Mexico's most famous dish, but Moles are very popular in southern Mexico. Oaxaca state is called the land of the seven moles.

A little more than a mile away next to the Sam's Club is Tepoznieves which has about 200 kinds of ice cream and flavored ice. (Blvrd Gral Rodolfo Sánchez Taboada 10137, Aviacion, 22010 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico) Try ice cream flavors that you would never see in the USA like cactus. They will give you a small taste so you can be bold, but not so bold that you end up with something you hate.
http://www.tepoznieves.mx/2013-04-10-04-41-53/tijuana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico