Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:00 PM

48 posts, read 28,626 times

Advertisements

Tough decision ahead for a family of three living in America but ready for a change. I was wondering if any expats living in Canada or Mexico full time or part time can give me feedback on both experiences.
What cities did you live in? the people? safety? quality of life? healthcare? COL? Big or small expat community? Language.
Wife is leaning towards Canada due to safety, culture of ppeople, modern, healthcare.
Im leaning toward Mexico for the culture language for kids, beaches, actually buy land near the beach or rent and save to buy later instead of toronto, montreal and ottawa COL. Anyone whose lived in both mex and can your feedback is much appreciated as well as others on any and all of your experiences.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM

28 posts, read 25,887 times
The biggest difference between the two may be weather. Do you mind or like winter weather and the accompanying costs, or would you prefer moderate temps? And there are restrictions on moving to both countries - as I understand it, you can't stay in Canada unless you have needed skill sets. Mexico may be more open to ex-pats but for permanent residency you need savings and/or job skills. Look into the restrictions on their websites before you go any farther dreaming about a beach house or culture differences.

The vast majority of ex-pats are retirees with savings and pensions who will spend their money in their new country without competing for jobs.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 PM

To the person who anonymously messaged me saying 'Mexico's temps are not moderate in the summer' - in some locations they are, like the popular Lake Chapala area, which is famous for spring-like weather year round and has reportedly the 'second best weather in the world.' Altitude plays a big part in things. Rosarito is directly south of La Jolla (San Diego, California) and has nearly the same gorgeous weather. Tijuana is somewhat more inland but can't be that much different than San Diego either. It's a big country and you can pick and choose the size of the city or town, the altitude and the weather to suit. Having grown up near the Canadian border, although it's a lovely, dynamic, sane and big country, I wouldn't want a repeat of those weather patterns.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Lake Chapala is well known for it’s eternal spring climate. With Mexico you can find a place
at the right elevation that has a “goldilocks” climate.

That being said you have to be ok with some of potential negative of Mexico,
including possible safety issues.

If it’s retirement....Mexico, yes....I don’t think many americans retire to Canada.
USA has comparible locations to what Canada has and also have warmer locations too,
some almost as warm as Mexico....personally I would retire in the US rather than Mexico.

Canadians who retire in Canada and can afford to live where they want choose,
our best areas....SW BC ...Victoria (milder and sunnier than Vancouver), nearby Gulf Islands,
southern interior BC...places like Kelowna, Penticton, Osoyoos, and pretty Nelson
(Nelson was featured in the Steve Martin movie “Roxanne”...looks really good).
Alberta has a harsher climate but has a couple of retirement hotspots ....Medicine Hat...
has longest warmest summer on the Canadian Prairies, very sunny too...and
Canmore...a growing mountain town just outside Banff National Park, very nice.

Ontario retirement areas are in the Niagara Peninsula ....picturesque Niagara on the Lake,
Georgian Bay around Blue Mountain/Collingwood...extreme SW Ontario Essex County,
it has the longest warmest summer and real estate is relatively cheap too.

Nova Scotia coastline is in demand and surprising most of the best properties
are owned by americans, either living their all year or more likely during summer season.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient centenarian View Post
The biggest difference between the two may be weather. Do you mind or like winter weather and the accompanying costs, or would you prefer moderate temps? And there are restrictions on moving to both countries - as I understand it, you can't stay in Canada unless you have needed skill sets. Mexico may be more open to ex-pats but for permanent residency you need savings and/or job skills. Look into the restrictions on their websites before you go any farther dreaming about a beach house or culture differences.

The vast majority of ex-pats are retirees with savings and pensions who will spend their money in their new country without competing for jobs.

Great question! We live in California so our weather now is almost just like Mexico on the coast. I personally love Mexico weather but the wife wants to try something different. I lived in Europe for a year in the balkins but I prefer Mexico. I am currently receiving retirement pay but my wife will be working in Canada or starting a business while living in Mexico. I see many expats in Mexico live there for years and never become citizens on paper. My biggest concern in Canada is the COL is close to cities in America, while in Mexico I can buy real estate rent it out and then maybe look into Canada with another source of income. The weather for me is a big deal and we're on 2 different sides

Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Thanks San Diego is my favorite city in America and that's why I want to be in Mexico and still be close to southern California.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 PM

Thanks for bringing up Nova Scotia we have not looked into it yet. We do have a retirement income but we are both in our late 20s with a toddler. Renting in Canada looks pretty high near where we want to be. Ottawa looks pretty good with a few places under 1k USD. Our top cities so far Ottawa, Toronto(mississagua, Hamiliton, and Montreal

Old 03-24-2018, 11:06 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Lived at Lake Chapala 2008 -2012 full time (back to US to care for elderly relative).

Bought another home here last year (relative passed away).

Feel safe. Weather excellent. Good location from which to see all of MX by car or via GDL airport only 30 minutes away.

More Canadian expats here then American expats.

All is good.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:55 PM

Bit of a problem if you want SoCal type weather and your spouse is looking at north of the US border as being 'something different.' Yikes. I moved to SoCal by way of Portland OR from upstate NY and would never go back. Goddam black ice and endless utility bills.... And demographically you can retire but have a small child? That's a rarity. What if you snowbird/sunbird it? Buy two separate places and rent them when you don't want to be there? I have a friend who was employed by the Navy in San Diego, spent free time in Mexico. He retired there, has since had the money to buy several houses for income property, married a Mexican woman, and says he would NEVER return to the U.S. He says he has more freedom there, doesn't have to ask permission or pay a fee every time he turns around, the weather is perfect (he's in Morelia), end of discussion. That a Navy vet would prefer Mexico to the U.S. tells me a lot. Personally, I think any country that would allow a Donald Trump in the White House, even for so much as the public tour, is doomed. It's all over except for the civil war, revolution and/or Great Depression 2.0 when China moves to the gold standard for oil sales...

Another option and cheap - fix up a 'skoolie' large bus or van and travel. Homeschool the kid. Or sail the world. Lots of options if money isn't an issue. Congrats!

Old 03-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Oh, OP, go to Numbeo.com for city to city comparisons of all possible parameters, quality of life, cost of living, etc. Also of course, those 'retirement' sites and international living retirement sites that will deluge you with email given half the chance, but are a source of rosy-colored glasses info for whatever countries they're touting this year.

I'm not sure I take all the warnings about crime in Mexico seriously. I think the MSM has been 'encouraged' by the US government to make it look like it's all drug dealers down there, to keep retirees from taking their SS and pension money and leaving the country. Except for our state and national parks, I'm having trouble finding anything 'exceptional' about the US anymore, but then again, I grew up wondering why I was being forced to 'pledge allegiance' to a flag interspersed with being drilled to hide under my formica desk from a nuclear bomb blast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico