Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 AM

334 posts, read 827,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- there probably are some people who never in their whole lives paid a mordida of any kind anywhere. Not to the aduana, never to a cop, never handed money of any kind to get the wheels greased in any way. Most of the people I know from or in Mexico will say they have.

One time my American-chicano friends and I were traveling by bus into Mexico and the agents mistook them for Mexicans and began to hassle over things they had in their suitcases but since they weren't from Mexico and didn't know the system they were confused over what was being asked, until one agent saw this and just brushed them through, telling the others just to forget it.

Mexicans going back for Christmas say they still end up having to pay agents to bring in electronic goods and other items, so much that sometimes it makes it not worth it since for the additional cost of the bribe takes away the advantage of buying something here and bringing it in.
45 years of traveling and living in Mexico and never paid a bribe once, never been asked to. But then I have a "happy" personality and truly love and respect the Mexican people combined with an understanding of Mexican law . . .

And then you have Steve, with his connections and knowledge paying bribes willingly, and apparently with knowledge that it is illegal !

I don't get so many people "smuggling" items into Mexico -- the duty free limit is somewhere around $400 per person and the tax above that is reasonable -- but they do, and then, when caught, they have to deal with a fine on top of the tax. And then they complain about it -- but they're almost always released but could go to jail for it.

Your Mexican American friends were recognized for what they are (US) and they, as a group, have the most difficulty with the police, who do "hassle" them. It's just the cultural thing of "we stayed here to make our country better, you went elsewhere and made a lot of money" (not just Mexico, but people of other countries as well "feel" that way). Too many Mexican Americans come down here and flaunt their "wealth" (as do others) and it is very disrespectful -- can you say Ugly American? That term was, and is, earned.

The Mexican is very clever, you can insult him today and he'll just smile, but you may find your car missing in the morning ! Or your bags are delivered to the wrong room, or disappear altogether. Geez, and what about your dinner after you insult the waiter? Or your bartender????? Can you say Mexican 2 Step? (I think it was called that once, maybe still is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
A MORDIDA is a BRIBE. When you are hasseled by a police officer who knows that as an American tourist/visiter, you have money in you possession. The time consuming dialogue between the two of you is such that it better to apologize for any infraction (you know you are innocent) that you may have committed and shake his hand and grease the palm with $$. I have been a victim of that experience many times as being with friends under the same situation have seen this done repeatedly. Time and headache is not worth the few $$$ you pay them. Anyway it always ends with a handshake and smile and if they see you again always a friendly WAVE of the hand. Stefhen

Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A MORDIDA is a BRIBE. When you are hasseled by a police officer who knows that as an American tourist/visiter, you have money in you possession. The time consuming dialogue between the two of you is such that it better to apologize for any infraction (you know you are innocent) that you may have committed and shake his hand and grease the palm with $$. I have been a victim of that experience many times as being with friends under the same situation have seen this done repeatedly. Time and headache is not worth the few $$$ you pay them. Anyway it always ends with a handshake and smile and if they see you again always a friendly WAVE of the hand. Stefhen
By doing so, you CONTRIBUTE to the problem and help no one. Unless you are dealing with a cop who is just a common criminal, hold your ground. You can tell they are a criminal, because they will use their gun to get what they want . Never pay a bribe, just ask for a supervisor or to go to the police station and argue, then pay your fine.

Now, the only "valid?" exception I have heard is from someone who is too drunk and doesn't want to see a supervisor, or on drugs, or is doing something illegal. Then the bribe lets them escape .

If you want to "contribute" to the economy that way, just paste a $20 on your windshield to save yourself even more time. Personally, I give to the Red Cross.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 PM

You are talking ROSARITO/TJ area. What is the combined population of both citys compared to Mexico City where I was. It is a different ball game. You have never lived there like I have. You have never lived with the people like I have (day in and day out). You have never endured the good and bad aspects of their daily lives. Go live in East LA and the barrio full time and you will change your tune. A Motorcycle cop pulled me over for supposedly caring CARGO. Cargo was boxes of shoes/laundry/personal items. Mexico City (centro) has a law about carrying cargo in your vehicle. A person has to rent a truck marked " Cargo EN General" to move anything bigger then a box. My boxes were considered CARGO even thou I had all the proper paperwork in the truck. I said that I was not carrying CARGO and wanted to go to the US Embassy. He said okay, took all my papers and to follow him. He got on his HARLY (Honda 1000) and I followed him north on the Periferico (thoroughfare) to a DARK offramp with low lighting. We went back and forth and finally I said "my house is 1 KM over there, the local Police station is over here, we buy our groceries at the Gigante over there, my wife is Senior Executive with ****** and besides, the American Embassy is in the other direction South of were we started from in the Pink Zone (Zona Rosa). Do you know Mexico City? I doubt it. Stefhen

Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
It's not difficult to act legaly, and this is a Mexican citizen that tells it to you, that never had bribed anybody. If we continue thinking that if all bribe it's ok, then we will never progress.

Regards...
I think the fact that someone in the Mexican Attorney General's position is coming right out and saying it is a sign of hope.

It will get people who do the "little corruption" kind of things thinking about it all, wondering what kind of society they want to live in and that's what can get change moving.

I know it's a bit complicated. I know where I live the tax base on the Mexico side is quite low, yet the population is very high, a lot of "non-natives" to the city have moved in, including many from Central America in search of maquila jobs and any jobs. There isn't much money to pay the police and "mordidas" were just considered how they made up the difference in what they were paid and what they maybe should have been paid.

I've known a lot of people who defend the practice -- paying a $200 ticket here on this side of the border certainly hurts the wallet more than a cop willing to let you off with a $20. I've talked with people who were kind of indignant the American cop wouldn't take a mordida and just be done with it.

But really it's only in the last couple of decades all this has gotten so out of hand, there was the little criminality before but something happened and now it's pretty bad in places.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
I don't get so many people "smuggling" items into Mexico -- the duty free limit is somewhere around $400 per person and the tax above that is reasonable -- but they do, and then, when caught, they have to deal with a fine on top of the tax. And then they complain about it -- but they're almost always released but could go to jail for it.
The people who complain about that aren't necessarily smuggling -- they are bringing gifts to relatives at Christmas, taking a bus because these aren't the people with money (or necessarily working legally in the USA) and in spite of Vicente Fox making some kind of effort to get it stopped, it still goes on. They are stopped for bringing in a nice radio -- nice but not $400 and are made to cough up some money.

And it's robbery really because it's not legal, it's not a legal tax, not even a fair mordida. They are supposed to be allowed to bring in those kinds of things but are stopped and either pay or lose the item. It's an abuse of power is all it is.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You are talking ROSARITO/TJ area. What is the combined population of both citys compared to Mexico City where I was.

He got on his HARLY (Honda 1000) and I followed him north on the Periferico (thoroughfare) to a DARK offramp with low lighting. We went back and forth and finally I said "my house is 1 KM over there, the local Police station is over here,

Do you know Mexico City? I doubt it. Stefhen
I got it, more population justifies bribery . . . . I've only been as far as Mazatlan, so you're right, I don't know DF -- so it has different laws than the rest of the country?

BUT a word of ADVICE for you -- always pay the mordida, anyone who would willingly follow a cop that you know is corrupt to a "DARK offramp" lives a precarious life ... especially when the "local police station is over here"

Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM

A PERIFERICO is like a Freeway. Three lanes in each direction with small off/on ramps leading to two additional frontage lanes in front of business stores/offices etc. Seven pm and hundreds of vehicles/busses and people waiting for the transportation system to take them to their destination boogles the mind to anyone that has not existed in the system. A person cannot fathom the complexity that exists unless you live within it. 23 million plus people is a lot of people. Travel the City via Metro/minibus/taxi as they are people movers thruout the city. Sure, there are many autos with parking at a premium sometimes double and triple parked at various locations thruout the city with the police standing by doing nothing as it is uncontrollable due to the vast numbers. Ride the Metro to the end of linea tres and find 300 plus large and small busses waiting to take passengers to different areas outside the perimeter of Mexico City. Commute time can be from 1/2 hr to 1-1/2 hr twice a day for many. A little off track. When a POLICE OFFICER ( badge & gun) tells you to do something, you do it and keep your mouth SHUT, thus I followed him in traffic with 100's of other cars around me to that off ramp near my house (unknown to him). He gave me my papers and left knowing that I was one smart AMERICAN that NEW the MEXICAN SYSTEM and its ways. MORDIA or NO MORDIDA. I would suggest anyone not experiencing the actual conditions refrain from spouting the DOES and NOT to DOES without having the actual exposure and experience of same over a long period of time as I have. One more thing. In the US it is generally considered what you know, while in MEXICO it is WHO you KNOW that makes a large difference. CONNECTIONS and TITLES hold a lot of CLOUT. Buenas Suerte, Stefhen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico