Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I have met a few girls here in Albuquerque that were from Mexico that I thought were white girls untill I actually talked with them,even at the malls in El Paso Ill be looking at a hot girl that looks white and shes speaking spanish, but they are not too common, most are dark,but I love them Hispanic girls.

most of the Mexicans here though are dark, but we have many many Spanish people here mixing together,I know lots of people that are both Spanish and Mexican, Im Spanish myself.

Well -- before La Raza and the idea of affirmative action for certain races, Mexicans weren't considered a separate race, and those girls you saw who looked white would have been considered to be white. At one time most Mexicans checked the "white" box on forms that have that.

I know of whites (non-hispanic) who check "hispanic" for their race for the purpose of getting into colleges they would otherwise not get in and financial aid they would otherwise not receive. You can be blond and blue-eyed, as lily-white as you can be and still be considered a disadvantaged minority race in the USA if you use the "hispanic" label.

Maybe it's not so different in Mexico -- those taller, model-shaped women with plenty of European features would be considered beautiful in most parts of the world. If they inherited a shorter stature, thick waist, stockier look, they wouldn't make it on film. That's just the way it is.

You're just not going to have the leading roles filled by 4'11" women and 5'3" men --- not in Mexico, not in the USA. Black celebrities here generally don't have the very pronounced racial features of their so-called race. The stockier frame of the Indian and more Indian mestiso isn't going to get you a leading role anywhere, maybe that's just life, although there is a beauty in all racial types, it's just not Hollywood or Miami's idea of beauty.

Whoppie Goldberg, India Maria can make it as comedians, if they take on character roles, but they aren't going to be the star of the movie that gets the handsome actor and have the romantic leading role.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,650 times
Default its true

alot of races are mixing and i dont think thats a bad thing....we were put in the same planet as everyone else...we are all "humans" and that means we were made to coexist and have kids with other "humans" doesnt matter what race.......it still happens

Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- before La Raza and the idea of affirmative action for certain races, Mexicans weren't considered a separate race, and those girls you saw who looked white would have been considered to be white. At one time most Mexicans checked the "white" box on forms that have that.

I know of whites (non-hispanic) who check "hispanic" for their race for the purpose of getting into colleges they would otherwise not get in and financial aid they would otherwise not receive. You can be blond and blue-eyed, as lily-white as you can be and still be considered a disadvantaged minority race in the USA if you use the "hispanic" label.

Maybe it's not so different in Mexico -- those taller, model-shaped women with plenty of European features would be considered beautiful in most parts of the world. If they inherited a shorter stature, thick waist, stockier look, they wouldn't make it on film. That's just the way it is.

You're just not going to have the leading roles filled by 4'11" women and 5'3" men --- not in Mexico, not in the USA. Black celebrities here generally don't have the very pronounced racial features of their so-called race. The stockier frame of the Indian and more Indian mestiso isn't going to get you a leading role anywhere, maybe that's just life, although there is a beauty in all racial types, it's just not Hollywood or Miami's idea of beauty.

Whoppie Goldberg, India Maria can make it as comedians, if they take on character roles, but they aren't going to be the star of the movie that gets the handsome actor and have the romantic leading role.
I think Salma Hayek is pretty hot! What is she? She is considered dark.

I have friends and family in Mexico, DF, and other cities that I visit frequently. I do agree that white Mexicans have an advantage. I'm not trying to make a point either way, but the truth is that in general, the white Mexicans are wealthier, and more educated. Mexico also has a class system that favors whites, though some will deny it. Whites have the advatage and will get preferrential treatment almost always.

As well, most people who immigrate illegally from Mexico into the US are for the most part, under uneducated and tend to be from rural areas. Since these are mostly natives, or Indian as some say, they are darker people, so US citzens get the impression that all of Mexico is that way.

Going to the beaches in Mexico will not give you a true representation either, you must go to the large cities in the interior, and you will see that the population is both white and dark, and you will find good looking men and women in both categories.

As most have noted already, the western media is largely to blame for all of this. There are people in Japan and China who save up for plastic surgery to get their eyelids worked on so they can have a fold, like westerners, because that is what they see from Hollywood, and in magazines.

Same even in US cities, all the local channels have nice/pretty people. Or as my friend would say, 'there isn't a beast among them'! Look at FOX News, or CNN, 'you see any beasts there?

One thing the Latinas have over most public celebrity figures in the US is their lack of inhibition to promote their femininity! Latinas are proud to be women, and are not bothered with the political correctness that plagues the US. Latina actresses, TV personalities all display their sexuality prominently in front of the world for all to see, and more power to them. They are sexy!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 15,504 times
I have darker skin and I am mexican. BUT. I only have dark skin around the arms and and feet and face. when i lift my shirt or shorts up for any reason white people are amazed on how light skinned I am under the shirt. I believe this is the case for alot of mexicans. they may seem like theyre all dark but under the clothing we're actually pretty pale. trust me. my theory is that i have spain descendance. I also have some blonde hairs on my legs.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Salma Hayek is Arab ethnicity or ancestry.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
The very sad truth about Latin American television programming is that as a whole they cater to the "Fantasy". Darker skinned Latinas watch novelas and can fantasize that they are a "White" Latinas living a wealthy life, married to wealthy "White" men and living in grand mansions on vast estates. Its a world that they aspire to but will never reach. The majority of the story lines involve a "tragic mestiza" type heroine who is shunned because of her non-White blood. The tragic mestiza falls in love with the White son of the (plantation, business) owner.

The Latin world is obsessed with their "European" heritage. The majority desperately grasp for the "Spanish" great-great grandfather or "French" great grandmother in their lineage. Many Latinos with OBVIOUS non-white features will deny having Indian or African ancestry. Their attitudes about race are very archaic, and dare I say even backwards.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM

291 posts, read 648,758 times
here we go again ...

Salma Hayek father is lebannese...but she can pass as latin cause her mother are mexican.

Of course you see pretty faces on tv, even in the states you only see good looking people in tv and films, even the majority of the anglo population are ugly and fat.

Regards!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
here we go again ...

Salma Hayek father is lebannese...but she can pass as latin cause her mother are mexican.

Of course you see pretty faces on tv, even in the states you only see good looking people in tv and films, even the majority of the anglo population are ugly and fat.

Regards!
Funny: a true Latin would be of Spanish, French, Italian, etc. heritage.

[sarcasm]I never realized that Indians (most North American Hispanics are indeed Indian or at least part) were Latin----------never mind many years ago Latins (Italians) portrayed New World indigenous people in movies.[/sarcasm]

Now: for an actress who is stereotyped as a Latina----------Catherine Zeta Jones comes to mind. She is either English or Welsh.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Funny: a true Latin would be of Spanish, French, Italian, etc. heritage.

[sarcasm]I never realized that Indians (most North American Hispanics are indeed Indian or at least part) were Latin----------never mind many years ago Latins (Italians) portrayed New World indigenous people in movies.[/sarcasm]

Now: for an actress who is stereotyped as a Latina----------Catherine Zeta Jones comes to mind. She is either English or Welsh.
Catherine Zeta Jones is Welsh, however, it does not take a genius to make the observation that her bloodline contains genes from a more southerly location than the UK.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Catherine Zeta Jones is Welsh, however, it does not take a genius to make the observation that her bloodline contains genes from a more southerly location than the UK.

For Catherene-Zeta Jones it is the Celtic connection.

The Celtic people of Wales, Ireland, Scotland all stem from the Iberian peninsula from some point in their history could be like 4000 - 5000 years ago, some also say the Spanish armada came through and the Spaniards mixed in. Welsh and Celtic Irish in general have dark features, maybe this is because foreign (White) tribes never really made it that far into Ireland and Wales?

My father is Darker Irish (also known as Black Irish) and he has a more dark complexion than light. My father has dark brown/black hair, Brown eyes, I am medium sized and have darker skin. My Irish dad actually has darker hair than my Mexican mother.

Most people think my father is a Spaniard or an Italian. So you see Catherine Zeta Jones and I are from the same roots.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-08-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico