Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 09:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,293 times

Advertisements

I think is better for you to create a new thread with some title like: Doubts about Mexico, because this is de COVID thread and your questions has nothing to do with the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Wow interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
I did ask whether Mexicans with dual nationality would they rather ride out the pandemic in Mexico or in the US? And how the system works in Mexico to see how it impacts the spread of COVID19 there and their response. It’s interesting how cases in Mexico were very low until three weeks after it exploded in the US. And Mexico was still accepting of Spring breakers and tourists by large amounts. I am always skeptical whether tourists/travelers were the main cause of spread anywhere in the world. As there had been places with large amounts of tourists but little cases while places that are isolated from tourism or any international travel or even contacting people that did for that matter but gets a lot of cases. Ie small town america, Indian reservations. In California there is few cases in comparison in University towns that serve many exchange students including from China as well as old and New Chinatowns but lots of cases in some towns with little if any contact with anyone who been to China.

Also I am asking about Mexico’s government systems and how it impacts reaction toward COVID19. I know like the US there are decisions made in Mexico at the Federal state and local levels as Mexico is also a federalist structure. Apparently as much as the President Lopez Obrador resisted a National lockdown just like Donald Trump did. However Mexico still ended up having a National lockdown in April even though Mr. Trump was still able to hold out and still not have declared one despite massive pressure from Democrats, advisors, and the Ms media.

I always curious about those beach markets in Mexico who has juristication over them whether the Municipality next to the beach regulates them? And what happens if a city or town acts like Huntington/Newport Beach and refuses to enforce closing such beach markets?

Beach closures seem like a overstepping move around the world though when jurisdictions around the world followed each other like lemmings. Just because some “scientists” hinted that COVID19 could lurk in the water. I be curious who made the decision on Mexico’s beaches and how it was taken in practice. Also does it mean state and local powers are powerless to close beaches within their state or city if the feds does not close them?

Old 05-26-2020, 06:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Beach closures seem like a overstepping move around the world though when jurisdictions around the world followed each other like lemmings. Just because some “scientists” hinted that COVID19 could lurk in the water.
Beaches are closed because they are a magnet for crowds of people who are engaging in unnecessary travel to get there and behave in a manner inconsistent with social distancing. Every complaint I've seen about beaches during the crisis has involved the people behaving in manners inconsistent with social distancing, not fear of contagious water.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
I did ask whether Mexicans with dual nationality would they rather ride out the pandemic in Mexico or in the US? And how the system works in Mexico to see how it impacts the spread of COVID19 there and their response. It’s interesting how cases in Mexico were very low until three weeks after it exploded in the US. And Mexico was still accepting of Spring breakers and tourists by large amounts. I am always skeptical whether tourists/travelers were the main cause of spread anywhere in the world. As there had been places with large amounts of tourists but little cases while places that are isolated from tourism or any international travel or even contacting people that did for that matter but gets a lot of cases. Ie small town america, Indian reservations. In California there is few cases in comparison in University towns that serve many exchange students including from China as well as old and New Chinatowns but lots of cases in some towns with little if any contact with anyone who been to China.

Also I am asking about Mexico’s government systems and how it impacts reaction toward COVID19. I know like the US there are decisions made in Mexico at the Federal state and local levels as Mexico is also a federalist structure. Apparently as much as the President Lopez Obrador resisted a National lockdown just like Donald Trump did. However Mexico still ended up having a National lockdown in April even though Mr. Trump was still able to hold out and still not have declared one despite massive pressure from Democrats, advisors, and the Ms media.

I always curious about those beach markets in Mexico who has juristication over them whether the Municipality next to the beach regulates them? And what happens if a city or town acts like Huntington/Newport Beach and refuses to enforce closing such beach markets?

Beach closures seem like a overstepping move around the world though when jurisdictions around the world followed each other like lemmings. Just because some “scientists” hinted that COVID19 could lurk in the water. I be curious who made the decision on Mexico’s beaches and how it was taken in practice. Also does it mean state and local powers are powerless to close beaches within their state or city if the feds does not close them?
These are fair questions, but I think in general its just local governors and mayors are trying to put out the sign of don't come to visit us right now. If people understand they can't go to the beach, they aren't going to go to a resort town unless they have a good reason to be there. Since most beach resort towns in Mexico haven't been that affected by Covid, they just would rather not have the residents of the big cities where there have been a lot of cases come to their towns and spread infection.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:45 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
It seems like the number of active cases in Mexico really are going down at this point. The Health Minister who has been claiming it peaked since May has finally become the broken clock who's hour as come.

Also = Mexico and Argentina are the two countries that will be manufacturing the Oxford vaccine for AstraZeneca in Latin America. Mexico has supposedly sealed deals to obtain 200 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine starting in first quarter 2021, assuming the stage 3 trials currently going on with Oxford vaccine show good results. At an estimated acquisition rate of 30 million doses per month it would take awhile to do the entire country but you know how it works in developing countries, fattest wallet to the front of the line.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:56 AM

I do not think it will be universal as they say, surely they will only give the vaccine to the population with comorbidities and others will have to pay to have access to the vaccine.

But yes, it seems that contagions are going down, it would be the last straw if what is happening practically in the rest of the world did not happen in Mexico.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:02 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
How would anyone know when almost no testing is done except for those who have symptoms? Even then it sounds like a lot of potential cases are not getting tested unless the symptoms are severe. Chances are good the infection rate is coming down, but there is no way to say for sure anything when you test so little of the population on a daily basis.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:23 PM

144 posts, read 330,573 times
Not sure how new this is, but....
"At the same time the U.S. State Department has dropped its global “Level 4” health warning urging people not to travel abroad it has imposed that same advisory level on Mexico, because of its deadly epidemic of Covid-19......Currently, Mexico has the third highest mortality rate due to Covid-19.
It is 10.6, the U.K. has the highest at 11.8 and Belgium at 11.2.
The United States is at 3.0 with a population of 330M.
A mortality rate is the percentage of deaths resulting from the number of Covid-19 cases.
Currently, Mexico has 69K dead with 643k cases with a population of apx 126million.
It is prudent to state that Mexico has a history of playing with numbers that reflect negativity on the country."

Borderland Beat: Covid-19: "Do Not Travel" remains imposed on Mexico by U.S. State Department

Old 09-18-2020, 09:08 AM

Everything is politics. It is not until the elections that I see the restrictions on Mexican citizens visiting the United States by land being lifted.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:24 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It seems like the number of active cases in Mexico really are going down at this point. The Health Minister who has been claiming it peaked since May has finally become the broken clock who's hour as come.
US had ~ 50% of total deaths in April & May
MX had ~ 50% of total deaths in June & July or you could say July & August.

Percentage of total deaths
US - month - MX
0% Jan 0%
0% Feb 0%
2% Mar 0%
29% Apr 2%
21% May 11%
11% Jun 24%
13% Jul 26%
16% Aug 25%
8% Sep 12% - partial month

US was getting better in June, but since restrictions were lifted the death rate has been going back up.

In 1918 October became the deadliest month in American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico