Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 12:28 PM

148 posts, read 176,812 times

Advertisements

Let’s say someone lives until 60 and never has a kid or spouse, or even close to doing so. Is this considered odd in Mexico/latin America? This could include American Hispanic and Mexican people too.

I ask because I have met people who said it is uncommon there and amongst Hispanic culture but is a lot more common for Americans especially those not of Mexican descent. I myself am not Mexican but grew up around Mexican-American culture and some have bigger families, many have kids at young adult ages. I do know one woman from Mexico over 30 who does not want kids because she saw her mom go through the trouble as a teen mom.

I even met a teen who wanted kids who said “26 is too old have your first kid!”

I myself am also unmarried, no kids but was wondering is it really that rare down there? While Mexico is kind of populated it’s not like it’ll be like India level anytime soon so it’s not like having a few kids is so bad there, I guess, but I have not set foot in Mexico... yet. Still you so not need to do either to have an ok life although I am not that old and probably do need either one or both.

Last edited by DuctTapedToCokeMachine; 10-25-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 03:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,291,306 times
Default Huh?

Who cares, and why does it matter? What about women who cannot conceive, or men, or women who are sterile, should they 'feel bad'? It sounds like you want affirmation on something? I affirm.... whatever it is you choose!

Old 10-25-2020, 04:32 PM

148 posts, read 176,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Who cares, and why does it matter? What about women who cannot conceive, or men, or women who are sterile, should they 'feel bad'? It sounds like you want affirmation on something? I affirm.... whatever it is you choose!
I think what I mean I was curious if it was less common in Mexican culture than American, and a lot of people in Mexico would care about it because you know, having kids and family is kind of a big deal? But I do admit I forgot about the sterility stuff.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:13 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,904,390 times
Less common but quickly catching up. People over 40 raised different than those younger. Lot less church influence being the main reason it seems. Now days a family with 2-3 kids is more normal, used to be about double that. Among the millennials it probably will be more like 1-2 kids.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:50 PM

169 posts, read 172,662 times
From Millennial generation down yes, it's more common especially in urban areas and especially in more educated sectors. Over 45 it's a very different story, but I will say that Gen X did start to dabble in this and you do see some people from this generation who never got married or never had children if they are married.

Also, there has always been a daughter who was "chosen" to take care of the parents and she wasn't allowed to get married, this was common up until Boomer generation and you have the "Solterona" trope or the "Spinster". But honestly...it's moe complicated but I will say it is more common and accepted, especially as newer generations are less religious and more urban and educated.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:51 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,237,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
I think what I mean I was curious if it was less common in Mexican culture than American, and a lot of people in Mexico would care about it because you know, having kids and family is kind of a big deal? But I do admit I forgot about the sterility stuff.
Yep is less common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico