Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 04:50 PM

104 posts, read 171,697 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at Merida for retirement. But what about the hurricanes there? How big (in CAT) how often? What part of the year? Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 12:10 AM

5,776 posts, read 11,417,238 times
Anywhere in the Yucatan peninsula can be impacted by hurricanes. Hurricane season typically runs from late June to early November, when sea surface temp is near peak. Most hurricanes hit the Yucatan peninsula on the Quintana Roo coast, from Belize to Cancun. Some brush by the northern peninsula between Mexico and Cuba, on their way into the Gulf of Mexico.

A Cat 2 hit near the Cancun airport a few weeks ago. That area has seen as much as Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes in the past. I was in Mahahual, 4 hours south of Cancun about 7 years ago. A hurricane struck that area hard a year or so earlier, and the tropical forest looked flattened on the main road approaching town and the coastline.

Merida is somewhat removed from the coast but could get plenty of tropical storm winds. I would be more concerned about the really hot temperatures in Merida most of the year.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:23 AM

10,208 posts, read 15,069,363 times
There are some hurricanes that land on the Pacific coast. I remember seeing in the news places such as Puerto Vallarta afected by these storms. Hitting somewhere along the Pacific is a yearly thing.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:22 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,908,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There are some hurricanes that land on the Pacific coast. I remember seeing in the news places such as Puerto Vallarta afected by these storms. Hitting somewhere along the Pacific is a yearly thing.
Puerto Vallarta benefits from its geography as most of the impact would go to Cabo Corrientes first where there is little population for a reason. Hurricanes almost always get pulled somewhat north so while PV certainly can get brushed by the edges of a storm, its unlikely to get hit by the worst impacts as that would require a storm that came in almost due east. Same thing for Merida, a storm that gets pulled northward from any angle likely has to cross quite a bit of land first so its going to impact like a minor hurricane at worst. Still something to think about though, but I agree with others the heat and bugs in these places during summer months is a bigger thing to be concerned about.

The areas to worry about are the entire Riviera Maya, Mazatlan and the entire Los Cabos region.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:22 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,238,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo View Post
I'm looking at Merida for retirement. But what about the hurricanes there? How big (in CAT) how often? What part of the year? Does anyone know?
Hurricanes are common in Yucatan Peninsula.

How big? Can be 1,2,3,4 or 5. But 4 or 5 are rare in Yucatan.

How often? Every year in hurricane season from August to Octuber.

But the thing is that being very common is an advantage in places like Merida, they know how to handle with this situations.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 PM

104 posts, read 171,697 times
I think Merida is like the Big Island of Hawaii (where I have 2 homes) A hurricane has NEVER hit the island. Tropical storms yes, hurricanes no. Now, Kauai (where I have a home) is a completely different story. Remember Iniki? But thankfully the house is situated on the East coast. It's the West and South coasts that get hit hard. As for my OP, thank you all for the information. I can stand the heat but a Cat 3 or 4 or for sure a 5 hurricane will drive me nuts! As I see it, I kinda agree with Recycled.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,238,795 times
Hurricanes have passed through Mérida. It is not so common but it has happened, Hurricane Gilberto in 1988 and Isidoro in 2002 attacked Merida with force. Another point to consider is that the path from the Caribbean to Mérida is flat, there are no elevations, so hurricanes can cause more damage even if they only pass near the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico