Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 06:51 AM

853 posts, read 647,781 times

Advertisements

I am now living in Mexico and my wife and I have had a baby who is now 4 months old and was born in Mexico. After visiting INM (migration) they convinced me the best I could do was getting the permanent residence so I have been working on that and now I have the permanent residence card in Mexico. It was expensive as it cost me around 6000 MXN (mexican peso) which is around 300 EUR, but I can stay in Mexico as long as I want.

As I see Mexico has better job prospects than my country Spain, besides I am a native Spanish speaker that can sustain english conversations at professional levels. So after visiting an immigration lawyer in the city I am now living she told me I have the right to work without a work permit as permanent residents can work for an employer or as entrepreneur. She told me the next step would be to get the mexican nationality.

Any of you have got the mexican nationality? Do you think is worth getting it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 03:38 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,775,135 times
I hope this doesn’t happen to you.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...merican-426495

Old 12-23-2020, 03:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I hope this doesn’t happen to you.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...merican-426495
He’s not even American.

Anyway, if you live near the coast or by an international border, or plan to in the future, you may want to consider getting Mexican citizenship. Foreigners are restricted from owning land within 50km of any body of water or within 100km of an international border.

Just make sure getting citizenship in Mexico won’t affect your Spanish citizenship. I don’t think it will.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:53 AM

853 posts, read 647,781 times
As far as I know, other spaniards still own the Spanish citizenship after getting the mexican nationality. I would like to try government jobs for which I would require the mexican nationality, altough the immigration lawyer explained me that I can still apply for public jobs with the permanent residence card. I know a case of a venezuelan woman who got the nationality and she had to pass a general culture exam and I read I have to prove my spanish skills but that is straightforward as is my mother tongue. I am aiming at living in big cities, being more interested in Mexico City.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
If your plan is to live in Mexico the rest of your life, why not? You sill mantain your Spain nacionality with the advantages of beign a mexican national.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:40 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
It makes almost no difference. You get to vote and you get a little more assurance you will keep some rights that you get through permanent residence. If you were from a country with a poor passport that didn't get you access to a lot of places then it might serve some purpose, but with an EU passport it does nothing for you. The nationality that has a real consequence is the US because you get taxed worldwide, but Mexico's passport won't change anything for you in that regard either, you pay tax on Mexican income in Mexico anyways.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:14 PM

608 posts, read 515,597 times
You also get the right to political protest that you don't have as a non citizen. Under Mexican law a non citizen can be arrested and imprisoned for it.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:48 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,814 times
So if you have Spanish citizenship you can go anywhere in the EU? To me that would be way more valuable than Mexican citizenship.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:24 AM

10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times
You are living in Mexico and plan to live there for a long time, perhaps the rest of your life. It sounds like a good idea to get Mexican citizenship.

Some people in this forum mention things that doesn't make sense in your case. The previous one is a perfect example since you don't live in the EU. Mexico is actually a popular place for Spaniards that migrate abroad, particularly Mexico City. Its basically the North Americsn version of Lima, Peru which is another Latin American magnet of Spaniards in South America and other places.

The Spanish migration flow and tradition in several Latin American countries is hardly known in the USA, the place where most forumers live or are from. Many can't imagine that every year more Spaniards move to Latin America than to the USA or Canada. It's like Brazil, its still a very popular place among Portuguese that migrate from Portugal. Ironically, it's also a major destination for Spaniards.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
I don't have personal experience but know a lot of ex-pats, some of whom opted to become Mx citizens and some who did not. It provides the things citizenship typically provides - a greater role in legal and political issues and better long-term security. Your child is inherently a Mexican citizen. You didn't mention your wife's status. Someone mentioned the restriction on buying certain property which could come into play later but if your wife is Mexican it could just be in her name. My opinion, born secondhand from observing my friends, is that it is worth pursuing but is not a pressing matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico