Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 07:50 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times

Advertisements

My parents are in their mid 80s and only watch FOX news. They tell me that under Biden asylum seekers are given a court date and released into the US. Of course, most of them don't show.

This sounds like FOX NEWS blarney, but often it is based on a grain of truth and magnified to unrecognizable levels. Does anyone know the truth behind policy changes under the new administration?

Some websites claim that the current numbers are still not as high as May 2019, and the deciding factors are increase in violence in Central America and COVID related bankruptcies. They say the new administration is not a significant factor.

I am looking for facts not opinions. I think the following quote is not a fact, even though it uses that word.

Quote:
Says Joe Biden is “now saying he inherited ‘a mess’ at the border. Fact: 9,000 illegals all of 2020. So far in 2021 108,000 entered U.S.”
Fact check
Quote:
President Joe Biden never said he inherited “a mess” at the border from the Trump administration. That comment came from Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

There were 172,286 southwest border encounters in January and February. Of those encounters, 39,572 were apprehensions.

During the 2020 fiscal year, there were 400,651 encounters — more than 200,000 of which were apprehensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My parents are in their mid 80s and only watch FOX news. They tell me that under Biden asylum seekers are given a court date and released into the US. Of course, most of them don't show.

This sounds like FOX NEWS blarney, but often it is based on a grain of truth and magnified to unrecognizable levels. Does anyone know the truth behind policy changes under the new administration?

Some websites claim that the current numbers are still not as high as May 2019, and the deciding factors are increase in violence in Central America and COVID related bankruptcies. They say the new administration is not a significant factor.

I am looking for facts not opinions. I think the following quote is not a fact, even though it uses that word.

Fact check
Fox can make anything sound like a crisis. Anyone seeking asylum gets released, you don't lock up asylum seekers as that would be in violation of every rule around asylum worldwide. They can legally stay in the country while their cases proceed, they get work permits too. But they do eventually have to prove their reasons in court and most show up because they will lose their legal work permits and status if they don't and some cases are granted. What Trump did different is said we aren't accepting asylum seekers from the México border except in extremely limited numbers. The policy has changed in that some are allowed in, but not that many more because they don't want a free for all dash.

Don't get this confused with how many people got detained or how many minors tried to cross alone. There are a lot of issues and they all have different reasons. Fox wants to say Biden told all these people to come, but that's ridiculous he never said anything about relaxing border enforcement or that all asylum or illegal crossers are welcome. Sounds like the traffickers have told that to people in Central America as a sales pitch.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:49 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
This is a great source of information which helps the reader to understand the very system itself:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/returned

It´s easy to polarize and get caught up in perception versus reality, but in the end it will take long overdue immigration reform and massive cooperation with our southern neighbors to find any real solutions to this problem. I fear that the former and even maybe the latter will be impossible given this country´s inability to come together.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:48 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
PBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F33H72Xp2uc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc16oJvYCH0

Old 04-09-2021, 02:50 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Bloomberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sh8UdXaIvM

NBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGsir9ozME

Old 04-10-2021, 09:27 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Fox can make anything sound like a crisis.
My dad said to me that the border is open and anyone can come in. I don't know what Fox is feeding him, but no POTUS, Republican or Democrat is going to open the border. We don't have an open border with Canada,

My mother said that Biden instituted a "catch and release" program. I said that is a fishing term and I asked her to explain. She said the government was now letting asylum seekers wait inside the US for their hearing, and virtually all of them were no shows for their hearing,

A more sensible website say we had a massive influx in May 2019 that was just as bad or worse compared to what is happening right now. Logically, there may be some people coming because they feel they have a better chance with the new administration, but I don't believe that is a major factor.

A proposed bill from a REPUBLICAN senator in the year 2000 suggested that we help Central American countries to dollarize (IF THEY WANT TO) with the hope that having access to a more stable currency will encourage economic growth. Panama and El Salvador are already dollarized, and Belize fixes their currency so that 2 BZD = 1 USD. While I realize there are risks with such a program, I think it is the most likely way to stabilize the region.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My dad said to me that the border is open and anyone can come in. I don't know what Fox is feeding him, but no POTUS, Republican or Democrat is going to open the border. We don't have an open border with Canada,

My mother said that Biden instituted a "catch and release" program. I said that is a fishing term and I asked her to explain. She said the government was now letting asylum seekers wait inside the US for their hearing, and virtually all of them were no shows for their hearing,

A more sensible website say we had a massive influx in May 2019 that was just as bad or worse compared to what is happening right now. Logically, there may be some people coming because they feel they have a better chance with the new administration, but I don't believe that is a major factor.

A proposed bill from a REPUBLICAN senator in the year 2000 suggested that we help Central American countries to dollarize (IF THEY WANT TO) with the hope that having access to a more stable currency will encourage economic growth. Panama and El Salvador are already dollarized, and Belize fixes their currency so that 2 BZD = 1 USD. While I realize there are risks with such a program, I think it is the most likely way to stabilize the region.
There you go. There's nothing new about asylum seekers being released in the US, to act like that is a policy shift is good ole fake news. And yes there was a big influx a few years ago because rumors went out that as long as minors entered without adults, they would be released to any family members already legally in the US. That was when the notorious detention centers with kids were implemented. Media outlets can claim all they want that government has control over the situation, but they clearly don't. The coyotes and their connections throughout the world really drive the situation because that's the world we live in where most people don't know what's true and what's fake from what they are told.

The whole dollarization bill is silly too because in reality any country can dollarize if they want and the US Treasury will accommodate it because market forces will essentially force them to. There is no policy to tell countries they cannot do it. Ecuador did it overnight basically when runaway inflation forced them to. Venezuela is almost certain to do it if they could ever kick out the current regime, but the economy basically is dollarized because dollars are the only currency anyone really wants. Costa Rica is pretty close to dollarized since its exchange rate is in a control peg to the dollar with slight adjustments made only to correct for differences in inflation. The countries that haven't dollarized don't want to because it creates political class benefits for the ruling class and their financially connected sponsors. Because some US legislative bill passed that says we've got a marketing plan for you won't lead to any changes in policy anywhere else in Latin America.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:55 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,022 times
The plan is on track to exceed expectations .

Come one come ALL. The American Border is open to you.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:27 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Friend works for ICE. Small children, girls that have been raped, mostly 12-18 year old boys. Parents will show up and claim them and they will allow them in the country, to return for a asylum hearing, which 90% never do and the asylum reasons aren't valid.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Friend works for ICE. Small children, girls that have been raped, mostly 12-18 year old boys. Parents will show up and claim them and they will allow them in the country, to return for a asylum hearing, which 90% never do and the asylum reasons aren't valid.
More repeating of the same stats that are blatantly false. But since Trump and Pence stated them they must be true!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ourt-hearings/

Asylum is a difficult situation to deal with because of course there will be some who are giving questionable reasons. This led to the Trump administration closing down the borders and the asylum process because they don't like the concept of asylum to begin with. But every other administration has supported it within reason. Note how this one administration basically lied and changed the narrative around this subject and their flock of sheep are out spewing the lies until so many believe them they kinda seem true.

Put everything in a blender, pick your facts, blame everyone else...voila you have new "truths" and "facts". All given to you by people who are never going to be part of the immigration system and who would never waste 10 seconds looking something up. Why bother, Fox tells them everything and would never lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico