Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 02:00 PM

169 posts, read 170,748 times

Advertisements

If you can take a day for a day trip I would highly recommend the Los Altos de Jalisco region, not far and very beautiful and quaint. Some towns to visit are Arandas, Tepatitlan, Lagos de Moreno and Capilla de Guadalupe. Lots of Eye Candy there too and amazing gastronomy. Very close to Guadalajara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 11:46 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Don't know if you've already taken that trip, I just wanted to say, even though I only spent a week in GDL, it has been one of my favorite cities that I've visited in Jalisco, thus far. Right now I'm in Chapala till Sept may till Oct. Even though this area is heavily populated by expats, I find it to be one of the most welcoming places I've ever visited in Mexico. I'm so glad I changed my itinerary to include this city as one time I had completely written it off. Good thing is, GDL is only an hour away, with plenty of buses available to get me there when I want a more bustling city atmosphere. Viva la Mexico.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:22 AM

509 posts, read 432,859 times
Hey everyone, I wanted to do a follow-up since I just got back from Guadalajara a couple days ago! Thabk you all for the recommendations, my friend and I had an incredible time visiting!

We spent the first two days in Guadalajara. Really great city I must say. The Uber ride to our airbnb had me on edge a bit, but once we arrived we did everything on foot walking approximately 25,000 steps our first full day in GDL. Out Airbnb was in a great location near Chapultepec and I want to thank lieqiang for recommending El deposito and especially LA Choza Urbana, absolutely amazing tacos (I got duck and tuna tacos). I really enjoyed exploring the Hospicio Cabanas and many cathedrals. Oh and we hit a couple of microbreweries too (Cerveza Loba and El Puesto Ambulante).

We spent half a day in Tlaquepaque which was an awesome artsy city with a very walkable centro. Got a guided tour of the Centro Cultural El Refugio and learned all about the historic network of tunnels and aqueducts underneath Tlaquepaque and GDL where nuns were hidden during the Christian War. Really fascinating stuff!

Saturday did the Jose Cuervo Express to Tequila. Great train ride through the Agave country of Jalisco and great tour of the Jose Cuervo distillery as well. We also went over to Casa Sauza where I got a bottle of Tequila from them to bring back to the US.

Finally I want to thank everyone's recommendation to do Guanajuato over Lake Chapala. We spent two nights in Guanajuato in a fantastic Airbnb right in the heart of the city near the main square. Did a lot of walking here and I climbed about 100 floors according to fitbit on my second day. All I can say is WOW, what a place! I fell in love. It reminded me a bit of Lisbon with all the narrow streets and alleys on hills surrounding the historic center. Guanajuato is likely the most beautiful city I've seen on the Continent and so lively. Loved the night parades and all the interesting activities going on. Will definitely be back.

Last night we stayed in Midtown Jalisco. Nothing special, just a mall and lots of modern highrises, but it was nice to have AC our last night. Mostly though I liked the charming Airbnb in Guanajuato the most.

Thank you all for the recommendations and had a wonderful time on my trip!

Last edited by dbcook1; 08-06-2021 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 10:11 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
dbcook, thanks for a follow-up and good trip report from your visit to Jalisco & Guanajuato. I have not been to either place since way back in the 20th century, but it is good to know that they are both still good places to visit. I'm glad everything worked out good for you.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:54 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
Finally I want to thank everyone's recommendation to do Guanajuato over Lake Chapala. We spent two nights in Guanajuato in a fantastic Airbnb right in the heart of the city near the main square. Did a lot of walking here and I climbed about 100 floors according to fitbit on my second day. All I can say is WOW, what a place! I fell in love. It reminded me a bit of Lisbon with all the narrow streets and alleys on hills surrounding the historic center. Guanajuato is likely the most beautiful city I've seen on the Continent and so lively. Loved the night parades and all the interesting activities going on. Will definitely be back.
I would love to live in Guanajuato. Although obviously the prices will be higher, the festival is the best time of the year to go.

49thFestival Internacional Cervantino (FIC), is 13 - 31 October 2021

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico