Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 10,513 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to go down to Nogales soon to get some affordable meds. I just wanted to know when walking back across the border to the US does customs care that you are bringing some medications with you or not? I don't want to waste a trip if some agent on a power trip may give me crap for some tamiflu and whatnot. Appreciate any input. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 01:22 AM

451 posts, read 422,670 times
you should not have any problems if quantity for personal use and not narcotics. ask a border patrol person going in what quantities etc.

Will be many farmacias there. Check out farmacias similares. They sell good quality generic stuff nationwide. they have a store near the border downtown on Avenida Alvaro Obregón 536 .
On mondays they have a 25% off sale. every monday. good luck. Im just getting over an infection controlled by antibiotics (CIPRO) i bought with them.

you can get ivermectin 6mg tabs from them too. That needs a prescription but in Mexico things can be done for a few pesos.

good luck and have fun.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:06 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
An American pharmacist told me that the manufactured quality of Mexican drugs is fine, but Mexican handlers may not store them properly, especially with respect to temperature. If you walk into a farmacia and it is not noticeably cooler inside, walk right back out and try somewhere else.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:06 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
The closest farmacias to the border are usually marked way up and only stock a handful of things the gringos like to buy. I'd go online and look up prices of what you want at Guadalajara, Ahorro and Benavides, as well as take a look at Similares. The only thing is many times locations will be out and you need to go to another location. But do this and at least you will know a competitive price so you don't pay double. Most of the border crossers are too lazy or scared to go more than a few blocks in so they pay for that convenience.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 10,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
you should not have any problems if quantity for personal use and not narcotics. ask a border patrol person going in what quantities etc.

Will be many farmacias there. Check out farmacias similares. They sell good quality generic stuff nationwide. they have a store near the border downtown on Avenida Alvaro Obregón 536 .
On mondays they have a 25% off sale. every monday. good luck. Im just getting over an infection controlled by antibiotics (CIPRO) i bought with them.

you can get ivermectin 6mg tabs from them too. That needs a prescription but in Mexico things can be done for a few pesos.

good luck and have fun.
thank you. yes, i was going to go to the Similares one, its more of a national chain from my understanding. i know its right down the street from the border, just a few blocks there.

what do you mean by narcotics, like opioid pain killers and such? i don't need any of those so i should be good. good to know about ivermectin as well, i was going to see if i can pick up a few packs for sure. much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
The closest farmacias to the border are usually marked way up and only stock a handful of things the gringos like to buy. I'd go online and look up prices of what you want at Guadalajara, Ahorro and Benavides, as well as take a look at Similares. The only thing is many times locations will be out and you need to go to another location. But do this and at least you will know a competitive price so you don't pay double. Most of the border crossers are too lazy or scared to go more than a few blocks in so they pay for that convenience.
thank you for the info. i figured that the closest ones would probably be overpriced. i usually spend my time out in the Baja part of mexico, but that's too far of a drive to just go get some meds.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:42 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
We used to do well buying meds in Algodones. Sometimes we even got some that were "made in USA" at Mexican prices.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:24 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planchik View Post
thank you. yes, i was going to go to the Similares one, its more of a national chain from my understanding. i know its right down the street from the border, just a few blocks there.

what do you mean by narcotics, like opioid pain killers and such? i don't need any of those so i should be good. good to know about ivermectin as well, i was going to see if i can pick up a few packs for sure. much appreciated.

thank you for the info. i figured that the closest ones would probably be overpriced. i usually spend my time out in the Baja part of mexico, but that's too far of a drive to just go get some meds.
All these name pharmacies are around a mile or two from the border, all you really have to do is avoid those within a couple blocks probably that aren't part of a major Mexican chain. As with almost anything in Mexico if you everyone greets you in English and doesn't use of word of Spanish to sell you something, you probably paid too much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico