Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 01:56 AM

276 posts, read 221,949 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of a second home in MX, but not really interested in the typical ex-pat scene (San Miguel de Allende, etc.), nor the crowded beach areas (Cancun/PV/Cabo/etc.). Would prefer to buy a small rural farm, if such is available? I like Puebla state, due to its cooler climate and proximity to nature and cosmopolitan cities.

But, I rarely see any online property listings for small farms and such. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might go about finding what I am looking for, or whether it is even a good idea?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 02:09 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,313,142 times
Try asking at https://reddit.com/r/Mexico/ someone there might know.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:00 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Would the rural property be a serious business, or a "hobby" type farm (rural residence with a few farm animals and large garden)? Where will your income come from? Have you lived outside the USA? And, do you speak Spanish fluently?

I would suggest if you are serious, go rent a place outside Puebla city for 5 or 6 months. You can stay in Mexico for up to 6 months on a tourist visa. Look around the area, get to know some people, read and listen to the local news, learn how to use the web to search for rural property.

https://www.inmuebles24.com/quinta-o...incia-map.html

Here's an example for 20 million MX pesos (about US $1 million):
https://www.inmuebles24.com/propieda...-61416711.html

Old 06-25-2022, 03:37 AM

451 posts, read 422,670 times
Recycled has good suggestions.
We are on road trip now in Mexico going to different Pueblo Magicos mostly in Hidalgo State although last year we hit Puebla state.
Some really excellent scenery. Nice people and some very good agricultural areas.
To do what you are seeking IMHO you need some level of SPANISH. you would need good legal advice on how to buy.

Residency would come into play also. Mexico now is much less likely to give you the 180 days At airport arrival. Check with local consulate for residency procedure. Not real difficult but time consuming.
Mexico is fabulous for traveling. Inexpensive to live and some mind blowing scenery. And can avoid high heat in many areas.

Best of luck.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Would the rural property be a serious business, or a "hobby" type farm (rural residence with a few farm animals and large garden)? Where will your income come from? Have you lived outside the USA? And, do you speak Spanish fluently?
definitely a hobby farm. My income is mainly from US social security and rental income from my properties. I have never lived outside USA, only travelled to MX a few times. Once to Puebla state, I flew from the Cross border in TIJ to PBC and rented a car and drove around for a week. I went to Atlixco, then around the Malinche, then east to Tlachichuca, Serdan, Esperanza and Orizaba. Unfortunately my Spanish is not fluent, but I know enough words to understand what people say (if they don't speak too fast, LOL).

Quote:
read and listen to the local news, learn how to use the web to search for rural property.

https://www.inmuebles24.com/quinta-o...incia-map.html

Here's an example for 20 million MX pesos (about US $1 million):
https://www.inmuebles24.com/propieda...-61416711.html
This looks like good website. Not familiar with this area, because I prefer to be where I already visited above. I am an outdoors person, avid hiker, so being near those tall volcanoes really appeals to me

Old 06-25-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Recycled has good suggestions.
To do what you are seeking IMHO you need some level of SPANISH. you would need good legal advice on how to buy.
Ah, this may be a problem, I don't speak good Mexican Only speak a little I picked up since growing up in SoCal...

And the legal stuff, oh yes, I have read about horror stories of people getting ripped off with bad titles/deeds and property disputes in Mexico I have a lot of RE experience in the USA, basically consider myself an expert, but I know very little about real estate transactions in MX.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:26 AM

451 posts, read 422,670 times
The real estate laws you can work out with a good attorney and hopefully Mexican friends. And your experience in USA

The Spanish thing you can learn but you need to put effort into it.
With all due respect I would opine that anyone over say 55 not attempt it.
How interesting you mention Atlixco.
We just pulled to Atlixco yesterday afternoon.
As you know it's quite a magical location.

travel more down here. Hit pueblos magicos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico